• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'$$6,000,000 Bounty' Twitter Account Teases Friday Announcement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:
I knew the chances of Orange adapting more Land of the Lustrous was pretty low, but I still can't help but feel pretty heartbroken right now. That announcement was basically my last hope of a continuation.

I'm happy for the fans of course, but I probably won't be watching this. Frankly, LoL has been the only Orange production were I felt their approach worked. With Beastars I thought the cg clash with the animal aesthetic was incredibly distracting, while their approach to the kaiju in Godzilla SP was actively poor & jarring, no matter how earnest their attempts to translate classic models into 3D was.

The manga is in English. I honestly don't get Land of the Lustrous fans who only care about that one series but trash on anything else Orange does when it's clear Orange wants to do other things besides working on that one series forever.

I personally haven't seen much of that myself, unless you happen to count me in that apparent group; in which case you clearly didn't pay attention to my post. Honestly, the only complaints I've seen are from small, but vocal elements within in the furry community who disliked cgi being used to replicate fur. In a very technical sense I'd agree with them, although the emotional core behind dislike likely comes from a different place. It certainly wasn't enough to completely ruin that show for me (that problem lay entirely with the story structure & themes). As for Godzilla, again their goals were noble and the passionate... I also don't think it remotely worked in that show, but that conversion has been repeated by enough people by now.

Ultimately, I think Orange are the strongest cgi studio working within the tv system right now. They're nothing short of ambitious re: the projects they work on & they have a talent for hiring director who can get the most out the tool they're give; however, I also don't think they've broken free of the issues common to other cg productions, chiefly organic designs such as human, animals, monsters, etc. It worked for Lustrous in the same way artificiality worked for Toy Story, but other than that their strongest output has remained mecha designs/battle choreography, such as with Akito the Exiled & Majestic Prince.

I've certainly not seen anything from their previous works to suggest a Trigun adaptation will break that mold, but hey, with Lustrous proved anything, it's that I'm more than happy to be surprised. I'll just sulk until then.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:06 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Also Orange doesn't own Land of the Lustrous, and as far as I recall weren't on the production committee for the anime to begin with. They have no control over whether another season is ordered or funded. They're working on these projects because other companies hire them to, so take it up with Kodansha if you're upset about the lack of an anime sequel.

Yep, they were purely work for hire, so the decision lies chiefly with Kodansha & Toho.

I was still holding out hope, given that the adaptation was by all obvious metrics a success, while the manga remains popular, but I guess the long production cycle & expense has put them off. Frankly, the absurd amount of piracy in the western fandom certainly doesn't help. If everyone who claimed to be a fan actually helped financially support the manga, we might have seen a different story. Unfortunately, scanlations & memes don't pay the bills
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Far as this goes though, I've always heard the Trigun manga (ESPECIALLY Maximum) is up there with Berserk in terms of "nigh impossible to replicate in 2D animation".

This doesn't make any sense. You can do anything in 2D animation. There's no limit to the medium that CG has an advantage over. There's been a lot of manga with detailed art styles that do just fine in 2D animation like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Vinland Saga. Additional CG elements can help 2D animation if done right, but I don't really think the notion that a manga's art is too good to work primarily in 2D makes sense when the art was 2D to begin with. I think most of it is people just grateful they have any adaption at all and willing to accept CG over nothing. Trigun was a series more popular in the West than in Japan so I wonder if that's a factor here: either CG being more accepted over 2D for the average American or the bigger studios focusing on more popular works and CG studios were all that were available for Trigun. I know CG studios like Polygon Pictures and Orange seem to more western focused than others and have worked on Western series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3