• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Buso Renkin DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
I will probably never get tired of the "Shonen" genre. Even with all of its cliches, it's something that got me into anime in the first place, so I can forgive it. This show is actually one of the few (if rare) very short "Shonen Jump"-based shows, only running at 26 episodes.

BTW, if you're a member over at Right Stuf, they're having a sale on all things Viz. Buso Renkin's running about $30, so if price is a problem, that's as cheap as it'll get.
Uthred

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
I doubt that, not on ANN anyway. And I seem to remember a few shonen series that were well received still getting some criticizing for being formulaic (only sometimes good writing or exceptional art, etc. can transcend the rest you know)..

My experience of the quality of ANN's reviews appears to be diametrically opposed to your own, which is probably why I so rarely make use of them

Monsieur Pink wrote:

Well, it does get freaking redundant after a while, I almost completely stopped reading shonen a while back and tropes aren't always good.

While there is certainly something to be said for subverting and re-imagining genre expectations genre tropes by definition cant be redundant as theyre required for the piece to fit within the genre. However we're straying rather far afield here. In summation I think the review was biased and that the bias should have been acknowledged, you disagree, such is the way of things.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Carl just seems to hate everything he reviews to the point where you know what's coming when you see he's written it. I still remember back to his Zegapain review which was one of the most unreasonable and unfair takes on an entire series based off of one early volume that I have ever seen.

Carl's problem (or rather the part that makes it hard for me to take his review with any degree of seriousness) is that he often oversteps just talking about a single arc or section (usually what a DVD contains) and instead goes on tirades as if they are representative of something embodying the entire series or genre that it's a part of. Just stick to the task at hand Carl, seriously. It's a DVD review not a treatise on the shounen action genre.
addictofanime

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote
what no one seems to realize is the fact that VIRTUALLY NO ANIME IS COMPLETELY ORIGINAL, not anymore, anyway. I found busou renkin to be an awesome series, yes it uses many cliches; yes, the fighting scenes could use some work. But what everyone seems to be discounting is the fact that the series is brilliant to watch IF YOU HAVE ALREADY FINISHED FMA, S-CRY-ED, BLEACH(or are waiting for new eps, as is the case of more than a few hundred fans), OR OTHERS. I loved it, why? Because Busou Renkin was similar enough to Bleach/ FMA/ whatever to keep me entertained yet IT DID NOT NECESSARILY COPY THE SERIES. And the opening? THE BEST I HAVE SEEN!!! It did an awesome job of getting you up and moving, and I personally STILL find it awesome to listen to EVERY time. ANN, you guys need to give a fair review of anime, this was not one of them. There are plenty of worse anime and you have now convinced me that you guys are worthless for a proper review, stick to summaries guys, because you'll do nothing but garner hatred if you continue to post these rediculuos reviews. And I'm sorry all but it had to be said, (this is probably the ONLY comment I'll ever make on this site fyi) so please don't attack me like a bunch of protest-crazed WoW players. That's all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3