• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
day_dreamer978

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
confession time:
- i do not like naruto: never seen an episode, never will
-i do not like shoujo and shounen ai series
-i CAN watch several epsiodes of Mushi-shi in a row and not get bored
-I actually enjoyed Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED destiny
-i was a huge yugioh fan (NOT NOW!!)

That's enough confessions from me.

My favorite Miyazaki film woild be Nausica of the valley of the wind. The story was great and it touches upon a topic that can be related to everyone. The relationship between humans and Nature. Sure, many of his other film do too, but i enjoyed and still do enjoy the story of Nausica.

Last edited by day_dreamer978 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
the_ferret wrote:
LOL, I'm trying to decide if these are sincere or trolls. I mean, "hating" Princess Mononoke? "Liking" Radiohead?

Yeah you're right dude, screw those guys, those uncreative douche bags. Ergo Proxy was so awesome.
beansy99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
Castlevania isn't all that popular in Japan; Konami continues to milk the franchise on handhelds for the Western audience, and because they really have nothing else to do.

Not that a lack of popularity has stopped other things from becoming anime....
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
the_ferret wrote:
LOL, I'm trying to decide if these are sincere or trolls. I mean, "hating" Princess Mononoke? "Liking" Radiohead?

Yeah you're right dude, screw those guys, those uncreative douche bags. Ergo Proxy was so awesome.

I knew it was all a ruse.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
No disrespect intended, but I really think the "confession" letter was an excuse for Zac to provoke reactions with controversial, and unsupported opinions, and are better left on 4chan. It came across as a little low rent. Aren't we supposed to be more civilized here than 4chan?

At least he revealed why he felt that he thought Oshii is overrated. Personally, I think Oshii may be a bit pretentious, but he's at least as talented as Miyazaki, whose aimless fairy tales can be little more than just endearing fluff at times. I'll admit, though, my favorite Miyazaki films outrank my favorite Oshii ones, so maybe I'm not thinking this one out as much as I should.

I won't be posting any random opinions, thanks. If people want to know what I think of an anime, my Anime List is public.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote
Confessions (but remember this is from my point of view here):

-I'm really not that into little girls; I just like knowing that I'm watching something that The Man would disapprove of.

-I actually want someone to explain FLCL to me.

-Ditto Pani Poni Dash.

-I've actually paid for a good hundred volumes of manga, and I just bought a soundtrack CD. (maybe if I had a kindle the manga would be worth pirating)

-I still think that the Sailor Moon series is one of the best ever.

And I agree with Answerman on the Chobits and Onegai Twins confessions (thought Twins < Teacher).

My favorite Miyazaki film is Mononokehime. I actually think he handles fighting and blood better than normal stuff. Moreover, it's the rare work that talks about environmentalism without being overly preachy and while still recognizing that industry has its place.
Jaekay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

My secrets are:

I've never watched Dragonball, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, or Evangelion, nor do I have any desire to.

I actually like Naruto (just not the Narutards).

I like Avatar the Last Airbender better than a lot of anime. :X (but again, like with Naruto, I think the Kataangers vs. Zutarans are ridiculous)

Hey me too! Avatar is my favourite animated show, Naruto is also a guilty pleasure (and I like the dub), and of those listed, I've only seen eva and I while I didn't dislike it, I wasn't too impressed.

Also:
I personally found Grave of the fireflies to be so boring and annoying I was really glad when it ended.spoiler[(and glad the girl died)]

I didn't like Pom Poko either, I found it boring and repetitive, however the ending was quite well done, it might have worked better as a short film.

The only reason I enjoy Deathnote is because I think its so dumb its funny.

For some reason, the episode in the middle of Scrapped Princess spoiler[ When Furet died] made me cry, more so than most other things that have brought me to tears. I also wanted Pacifica and Shannon to erm, get together, even though they were raised as brother/sister (not biological) does that make me sick?

My favourite Ghibli film is Howl's Moving Castle, I'm not exactly sure why, the ending is really rather dumb, but I don't think I've been drawn into a movie the way I was into that. Even when I watch it again I feel rather mesmerised by some scenes. I've actually read the books that it's based off, and personally I think Miyazaki turned a sub-par juvenile fiction book into a really wonderful movie.

I really like most Ghibli films, though I will agree some are rather similar, If I was to rank them personally I would say:

Howls Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Whisper of the Heart
Only Yesterday
Kiki's Delivery Service
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
My Neighbour Totoro
Tales from Earthsea
Laputa - Castle in the Sky
Porco Rosso
The Cat Returns
Pom Poko
Grave of the Fireflies

(I haven't seen "My Neighbours the Yamadas")
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
My confessions:

I used to be a huge Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-gi Oh fan back int he day (When I mean back in the day I mean only like 5 or 6 years ago) I still Digimon but more or less the early games not the anime series.

I've never seen Full Metal Alchemist (Nor do I have any desire to see it)

G Gundam is far better than Gundam Wing (which sucks anyways)

I don't care for InuYasha that much (Used to like it)

Dragonball is the best series of the Dragonball franchise.

ToHeart is one of my favorite anime series.

With the exception of Green Divers, MS IGLOO, and Gundam 0083: The Afterglow of Zeon I've seen all of the UC Gundam shows (Not including Gundam Evolve and the SD Gundam shows for UC)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
I got to see my letter printed, cool.

While I can certainly understands Zac's points about Oshii, I generally like his movies and I did enjoy Innocence. That said, I think you have to be a fan of either Philip K. Dick or William Gibson to appreciate it.

Confessions? I know its not anime, but I also really enjoy Avatar the Last Airbender. I hate Final Fantasy with a passion. I really don't get One Piece or why its popular. I liked End of Evangelion. I'm a huge Gundam fan, but the guy who comes into my workplace is starting to grate on my nerves. I think anime would be better if it had more death metal.

The best Miyazaki movie is Princess Mononoke.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I revel in the thought of a new Satoshi Kon movie just as much as I might be drooling with anticipation over the next David Fincher film (well, okay, that's going a little far)

Right now, I'd say Satoshi Kon is the more interesting filmmaker of the two. That may not have been the case when David Fincher was adapting 'Fight Club' (which many had presumed unfilmable), but since then, he's been busy with procedurals like 'Panic Room' and 'Zodiac.' They're cinematically beautiful, but they're not breaking moulds.

As for all the Talkback here about Miyazaki, do keep in mind his films are primarily for children. That doesn't make them any worse or any better than they would be otherwise, of course, but I'm guessing most of you are not in his target age demographic. I've never seen a child not get entirely entranced by the likes of My Neighbor Totoro or Spirited Away ....
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Zac didn't add the fact that he thinks Wolf's Rain is a masterpiece to his list of secrest, but I suppose that'd be pointless since he did actually mention it months ago in a previous column.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
It's been nearly four years since I marathoned Cowboy Bebop (that was also the only time I watched it), but I remember liking all of it. But I was younger then, and it's possible I was simply overwhelmed by whatever amount of excellence it truly has. I bought the DVDs recently, so maybe it's about time for a re-watch.

As for the FMA confession, I can understand that. I think that FMA was pretty great throughout, but the show definitely ramped things up during the second half. Also, the movie was awesome (I guess in a fair number of people's eyes around here, that would count as a "confession" Wink )

You know, once in a while I think about how I'd like to pick up Tenjou Tenge to see the fight scenes and the fanservice, but then I remember all the bad reactions I've heard in the past with regards to CMX censoring it to hell and back, and I forget about it.

Escaflowne is pretty damn good, and I should watch it again, as it has been years.

I also agree with the NGE confession. However it ended, I was satisfied (although I think I have preference for The End of Evangelion).

Liked Onegai Twins...? Wow. Although admittedly I haven't watched it, but I've heard it's pretty cheesy. I did like Onegai Teacher though, so maybe I should give Twins a chance.

That Chobits confession was interesting, as I had heard previously that it wasn't such a thematically heavy -- albeit good -- show. Maybe someday I'll buy Chobits.

Mushi-shi: Bah! I'm a manga fanboy for that show Smile Having said that, I imagine it looks pretty damn good animated/in color.

I've barely even heard of Pom Poko. Does this count as a confession as well?

As for actual confessions (if they could even be considered such), I don't have much, but I'll share:

I've seen Galaxy Angel, plus seasons Z, A, and -- just recently, after a three year gap -- X. I like them all.

I've watched the first 8 episodes of Maburaho, and the first 6 of Girls Bravo!. Fansubbed and DVD rips, respectively. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to purchase them now Embarassed

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 was the first Gundam show I have ever finished, and I adored it. Previously, I've randomly seen an epsiode or two of SD Gundam on TV, but I don't remember where. I also saw the first 13 episodes of Wing about three years ago, but by that point it had yet to grab my interest. I think I may try to watch it again though by purchasing the DVDs.

Finally, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is the only Gar show I have ever seen, but I confess to know it is better than anything else in the genre Laughing
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll jump on the wagon because it seems like fun.

My favorite Miyazaki movie is The Castle of Cagliostro.

I'm not joking.

I also love Avatar and prefer it to most anime, but I don't think there's any shame in that at all.

I've laughed at Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo.

I've laughed at Super Milk-chan.

I actually understood FLCL, Evangelion the series, Paranoia Agent, Akira, Perfect Blue, and Ergo Proxy. End of Evangelion, Boogiepop Phantom, and Rahxephon are the only three anime I didn't understand initially, but with a little Internet help, I then understood them.

I like Aishiteruze Baby more than most other anime, and I don't feel bad or embarrassed about it in the least.

I like Naruto's dub way better than I like Naruto itself.

Most of the Naruto fillers aren't so bad.

I watched Eiken because I just HAD to have it on my "seen all" list. Sad

One time, just ONCE, I said that I liked another show better than Trigun for a couple of months. That show was Fullmetal Alchemist. I've since changed my mind when Fullmetal Alchemist "cooled" for me.

I thought the Fullmetal Alchemist movie was written like someone's admittedly good fanfic.

I cry during every episode of Trigun. Every one. Unless I'm marathoning it and I run out of tears, of course. (I cry because of the beauty and my great love for the show in the non-sad episodes)
condorfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
Okay, my confessions... Smile

Current fave: Code Geass.

Faves I can watch with 7-year-old daughter:
- Most Miyazaki & Ghibli films (not Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies, though, we'll wait till she's older)
- Princess Tutu
- Sailor Moon, S and Super S
- Fruits Basket
- Mysterieuses Cities d'Or/Mysterious Cities of Gold

Faves that daughter will have to wait to see:
- Escaflowne (ep#1's dragon was a little too intense for her)
- Scrapped Princess
- Soul Eater

FMA: I enjoyed it a lot, it just didn't totally grab me.
Simoun: I like it, but it's not to everyone's taste.
Mushi-shi: A nice sweet thought-provoking anime. Not rush-rush-flash-boom. Smile
Evangelion: I prefer the manga, and episode 9. Did _anyone_ understand either of the endings? ~Smile
Naruto: Not my thing.
Gundams: I liked Wing, G and the original and Zeta. Seed & sequels I'm not really interested in seeing.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. I also have trouble understandig RahXephon, Fiction Alchemist. I had to wtach the show to come to grips with a lot of what it had to say. I still think it's very complex.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10