• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cobs' Poll: What Kind of Otaku to Have as Boyfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skidaruzutall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:

isn't that a little mean to do to your boyfriends?

lol, i thought guys were the only ones pro-tuning their girlfriends out, and girls were always complaining about it? guess i've been assuming incorrectly.

I think at some point everyone does it but some people are better than others at it. I've been in the customer service field for years, and I've gotten to be pretty good. It's like my ears are tuned to have me come back to reality right before I hear something I need to hear. The only person I can't fake it with is my one friend. She says my breathing changes when my mind wanders.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:
Quote:
If my film otaku wants to dissect the movie afterwards, I've already learned how to easily tune people out while pretending to actually be listening.

isn't that a little mean to do to your boyfriends?

lol, i thought guys were the only ones pro-tuning their girlfriends out, and girls were always complaining about it? guess I've been assuming incorrectly.

This is a first for me to hear of this. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard of women complaining that their boyfriends tuning them out (I know I do this is if the topic is boring. But I only do this if I don't really know the person.)

But I agree with Keiichi-Chan, that is slightly mean. The way I see it is if a friend or otherwise is taking the time to talk to you, it means they probably want your opinion and care enough to talk you. Imagine if they didn't care and tense silence that would follow suit.

But let me ask this, if your tuning out a flim otaku's opinion, why would you be with that person in the first place? If your just going to tune someone out after a while, you might as well dissolve the relationship there once and for all.
Skidaruzutall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But let me ask this, if you're tuning out a film otaku's opinion, why would you be with that person in the first place? If you're just going to tune someone out after a while, you might as well dissolve the relationship there once and for all.

I didn't say I wouldn't be listening to him all the time, just when he was talking about the film he'd seen. I go to the movies to enjoy a film, not to rip it to pieces at the end. If he wants to make a comment here and there about the film, whether it be about the story, director, actor, special effects, fine, but if he's going to narrow in on each little thing, I'm going to zone out. We could still enjoy the watching of the movies together at least, unless he's the film type that throws in comments constantly during the movie.

There might be other times I don't listen, but it's the same with men who go into a daze listening about the sweet new purse their girlfriend just bought. Just like the girl that loves to shop, the film fan can have other interests and traits as well that attract the other person. This is why I wouldn't mind a film otaku as a boyfriend, there would be something else that attracted me to the guy, not only a liking of movies.

For example, I used to date a guy who was obsessed with cars. He would see a nice car on the road or on tv and would do a complete breakdown of the components. It was a little tiring, but that was only part of who he was. He was also sweet, faithful, had a great sense of humor, was a good cook, liked games, movies, the outdoors, and was adventurous enough to try new things. Did our relationship ultimately end because of his obsession and my lack of listening about it? It ended for another reason entirely.

As for the male results, I'm a little surprised that the health otaku and sports otaku ranked so low. I would assume that a guy would want a girl who's healthy and in great looking shape. But I guess I can also see why a guy wouldn't want to take a girl out only to see her eat rabbit food and complain about calories all evening.

As for the sports otaku, I seem to always hear or read about men knowing that a girl was the one when they found out how much she liked sports and that they could brag to their friends about the great catch she was. Maybe it's just a big thing here in the states.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Skidaruzutall wrote:
But I guess I can also see why a guy wouldn't want to take a girl out only to see her eat rabbit food and complain about calories all evening.

More likely most males of the human species are scared of the mere thought a girl might be as strong as them, which in the modern sedentary world can happen just because said girl goes to the gym.

Quote:
As for the sports otaku, I seem to always hear or read about men knowing that a girl was the one when they found out how much she liked sports and that they could brag to their friends about the great catch she was. Maybe it's just a big thing here in the states.

Maybe sport otakus aren't as numerous as people think, most people see the game, turn the tv off when it is over and forget about it a few minutes later.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
More likely most males of the human species are scared of the mere thought a girl might be as strong as them, which in the modern sedentary world can happen just because said girl goes to the gym.

Considering my best ever bench press was 285 pounds, I would be a little afraid of a women that was as strong as me. Then again, I'm not attracted to overly muscular women, and a women that could bench 285 would as jacked as hell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sburstall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Anime otaku are awesome. Although, I don't know how much fun a date that basically goes:

Girl: So what are your interests?
Boy: Isn't Madoka-chan so Kawaii!!!!!?

would be.
If this was said in the US, the women couldn't get out of the resturant fast enough. Laughing
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
"Otaku" means someone who is obsessed with anime/manga or videogames. That term is specific to anime, manga and games. It doesn't make sense to say someone is a "health" otaku. You can say someone is obsessed with health though.

It is like the term "Japanese Anime". That doesn't make sense because anime is already understood to be Japanese. Anime by definition is an animation originating in Japan. It would not make sense to say "American anime" or "German anime" just like it makes no sense to say "movie otaku" or "music otaku".
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Otaku" means someone who is obsessed with anime/manga or videogames. That term is specific to anime, manga and games. It doesn't make sense to say someone is a "health" otaku. You can say someone is obsessed with health though.

It is not limited to anime/manga. The word otaku means to be obsessed with something in the Japanese language.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
icekatana8825 wrote:
Film Otaku rank highest, anime otaku rank lowest and consumer electronics otaku are in the middle.

Which just shows how narrow minded and hypocritical Japanese women are (in general)

No, they got it right. I certainly would rank anime otaku among the lowest of all otaku groups. I post on many fan forums--film snobs, sports, comic books, video games, psychology--and without a doubt the most annoying are anime otaku. I can barely stand even some of the casual anime fans...

And me? I'm not hardcore otaku but I'm sure to most women I'd be pretty annoying with my negativity. Since I'm an anime fan, that just goes right along with that opinion that anime otaku aren't so great catches.

But I gotta talk to somebody about anime. Laughing
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
It is not limited to anime/manga. The word otaku means to be obsessed with something in the Japanese language.

Yes it is. And video games/computer.

Dictionary.com Definition: an avid collector or enthusiast, esp. one who is obsessed anime, video games, or computer and rarely leaves home.

Wikipedia: Otaku (おたく / オタク?) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, or video games.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
^
Those definitions only indicate that it is often used in those contexts, but is not limited to them. Especially in Japan. In other nations, otaku is a loanword usually used in conjunction with anime/manga/gaming. In Japan, well, perhaps its used with those mostly as well--but also everything else.

EDIT:
Also, from the Wikipedia page, all you must do is read down a section and it says "In modern Japanese slang, the term otaku is most often equivalent to "geek". Most often that of computers. However, it can relate to a fan of any particular theme, topic, hobby or any form of entertainment."

Last edited by RestLessone on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Dictionary.com Definition: an avid collector or enthusiast, esp. one who is obsessed anime, video games, or computer and rarely leaves home.

Wikipedia: Otaku (おたく / オタク?) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, or video games.

Well, the wiki entry says PARTICULARLY anime, manga or video games, implying that those are the most common obsessive interests. But it doesn't say LIMITED TO anime, manga, etc,. Wink
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:

What is your point? Is it that the Japanese web site shouldn't have used the word "otaku", because of how the word is used in English? Or is it that ANN should have translated "otaku" using some other word?
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
SecretAgent94 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Well, the wiki entry says PARTICULARLY anime, manga or video games, implying that those are the most common obsessive interests. But it doesn't say LIMITED TO anime, manga, etc,. Wink

Let's see what Japanese wikipedia has a say to that.

おたくまたはオタクとは、1970年代に日本で誕生したサブカルチャーのファンの総称。独特の行動様式、文化を持つとされる。元来はアニメ・SFのファンに限定した呼称であったが明確な定義があるわけではなく、現在はより広い領域のファンを包括しており、その実態は一様ではない。かつておたくという概念に否定的な意味合いがあったが、現在では肯定的な評価もされるようになった。また、趣味に熱中している人物を指して、その趣味の分野に関わらずおたくと呼ぶこともある。

Google Translation
Geeks and Otaku or not, collectively, was born in Japan, fans of the subculture in the 1970s. Peculiar behavior is to have a culture. Not SF anime Originally there was a clear definition of designation is limited to fans, and now encompasses a wider area fans, the reality is not uniform. There was a negative connotation to the idea of ​​geek past, and now also had to be a positive review. Also refers to the person addicted to a hobby, sometimes referred to as a geek at all, regardless of the field.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
In all fairness, and in actuallity, what these females are really saying is their number 1 choice is always the man that showers them with otaku like obsession as long as it doesn't turn into stalking. They will tolerate only a certain amount of their partner's other obsessions as long as it takes a back seat to their own. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5