• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:51 pm Reply with quote
So in Fluffy Paradise, does Nefertima have her prior memories or is she just vaguely influenced by her past life? She acts her young age but I’m not sure if that’s a front. Sometimes she seems like a regular child and other times she’s much more perceptive.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:37 pm Reply with quote
sakurahitagi wrote:
So in Fluffy Paradise, does Nefertima have her prior memories or is she just vaguely influenced by her past life? She acts her young age but I’m not sure if that’s a front. Sometimes she seems like a regular child and other times she’s much more perceptive.

I haven't watched episode 3 yet, but my impression based on the first two episodes is that she's either just gleefully running with the "I get to act like a kid again" thing or is being influenced by her new body's biological age (a point which I feel is waaaaay underused in reincarnation tales) or both.

Also, as a Moderator note, serial posting is frowned upon in these forums. If you have something to add and a new post from someone else hasn't come up yet, you should edit it on to your previous post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
sakurahitagi wrote:

Thanks! Too bad this anime isn’t living up to the manga. Those eyelash knives are really something lol.

You're welcome! And about other supernatural shoujo/shoujo-esque, some titles I enjoy are Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun, Kiss of the Rose Princess (same creator as Momochi), and A Kiss with a Cat, although that one's more on the romance side of things. Phantom Tales of the Night is dark supernatural/horror, but it's interesting.

I realized while writing this that I read a lot more plain old fantasy titles (anything by Rei Toma, Yona of the Dawn, Prince Freya), but if you like that genre too, those are all worth checking out.
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
sakurahitagi wrote:

I haven't watched episode 3 yet, but my impression based on the first two episodes is that she's either just gleefully running with the "I get to act like a kid again" thing or is being influenced by her new body's biological age (a point which I feel is waaaaay underused in reincarnation tales) or both.

Also, as a Moderator note, serial posting is frowned upon in these forums. If you have something to add and a new post from someone else hasn't come up yet, you should edit it on to your previous post.

Sorry about that. I wasn’t aware about serial posting.

And thanks @Princess_Irene for the recommendations.

About Fluffy Paradise, I agree it would be interesting if she was influenced by her new biological age. Not that I think the show will explore this more deeply.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:42 pm Reply with quote
My picks for the poll:

Bang Brave Bang Bravern
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 2: Second Stage
Chained Soldier
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
Kingdom (TV 5)
Sengoku Youko
Tales of Wedding Rings
The Apothecary Diaries
The Dangers in My Heart Season 2
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic
Urusei Yatsura
Wonderful Precure!

The two ongoing series I'm watching are Frieren and TAD, so they're pretty much guaranteed to have their reviews continued, but I figured it was worth casting a vote. The rest is mostly "from what I've read, this is interesting enough that I'd like to see it reviewed", with a smattering of "this probably won't make the cut but it's significant enough that it deserves to".

I was a little sad I couldn't cast a vote for Case Closed.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:08 pm Reply with quote
My votes are for:

Frieren: Beyond Journeys End
The Apothecary Diaries
Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki-Kun Season 2
Gushing Over Magical Girls
Chained Soldier
Metallic Rouge
7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
My comically bad pick for review is My Overpowered Instant Death Magic. I want to see someone rip that show a new one.
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I’m not going to bother following tales of wedding rings, but at least it reminded me to rewatch dusk maiden of amnesia.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Mikan-box Glasses-kun wrote:
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
Beyond that, Itsuomi himself feels pretty cardboard as well, with just how much his worldliness has been circled back to as a charm point (and tacitly, his beauty). Given the wealth of thoughts around him consist of "Crush, or love?" and "I like-like him," I'm so far left watching a romance story with major focus on the romance that feels decidedly unromantic in execution. And that's a weird place to be.

Would you believe me if I said that, despite A Sign of Affection having more character writing so far, that's basically my complaint with what I've read of suu Morishita's first series Like a Butterfly? There's so many conversations about romance or whether characters feel like they're in love, that it detracts from the question of why they actually like each other, either as friends or something more.

I could believe that. And honestly, for all my reservations so far, I'll likely still keep up with it anyway.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The rest of Meiji Gekken 1874 was good enough to let me forget about the magic trio in the garden until reminded of it by a previous commenter. The implied magic/superhuman powers don't really seem to fit into what is an otherwise pretty solid-looking period piece.

Tomoyo Kurosawa's distinctive voice as apparent Lady Macbeth of the revanchist faction added to her Undead Girl Murder Farce creepy/sinister chops (a long way from the Youtube Kumiko Omae/Phosphyphyllite funny-noises collections).

By the way, avoid the Anime Encyclopedia entry for this series, as it contains a spoiler in the cast list: spoiler[Tomoyo Kurosawa is listed with two roles, the second of which probably should remain a mystery for a while.]
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Bucchigiri - nice presentation and the mom seems like a fun character, but feels fairly typical for this kind of show. If the girl who baits guys into getting beaten by her brother gets some kind of comeuppance that would actually be different, but I'm not expecting things to go that way
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:47 am Reply with quote
Meiji Gekken. My first question. What's a "gekken"? They didn't bother to give us the kanji (撃剣), just the romaji with no explanation. Because Meiji Clashing Swords (i.e) sounded dull?
Second. Adding "November" in Japanese and then November in English.
Third. Character designs look like from a 90's "cartoon". No, I don't mean anime, but the series made in Japan for American companies, like Galaxy Rangers, Captain Planet, etc.

It's look like an anime made for a committee: the story has no soul but "make an anime series with cool things" all correctly measured (asides from the 1868 battle, the violence is toned down), with the right names and places and the right people fighting the right enemies.

Dunno, it's also as if someone watched Rurouni Kenshin and Golden Kamuy and said "can we have just that, but for a Saturday morning TV show?".

Last edited by kgw on Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:08 am Reply with quote
I went into Cromartigenie?! completely blind, but I knew I was in before the OP was even half done. I barely care about the story with all the splash and dazzle of the color palette and character designs, and learning that Hiroko Utsumi is directing just sealed the deal. That woman just gets me. Not completely sold on the djinn character yet, but the concept is interesting. Looking forward to whatever they do with all this.

Rurouni Gekken is also right up my alley. I didn't mind the super-powered ninja types showing up, since I've been conditioned for that in most of the "historical" anime I've seen. And I liked what I've seen here so far.

After a delayed start, Kingdom 5 didn't waste any time revving up the action. This series seems cursed. It apparently has almost no following in the west, despite the manga being wildly popular and record-breaking: it got saddled with two seasons of awful cgi that were apparently so disdained that you need to be an investigative reporter to even find anyone who admits to working on the English dub; yet overcame that to get a third season (derailed by Covid); and a fourth (with a delay for Typhoon Nanmadol; and now season 5 starts late due to the New Year's Day earthquake. This series cannot catch a break.

And even with 4 seasons and 3 live action movies in the bag, it still can't get anyone here to catch up with it for so much as a Preview Guide mention, let alone a Daily Streaming review. Cursed, I tells ya. Sad
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:58 am Reply with quote
I have not seen this, but I wanted to remark that a show with slavery in it is not being ridiculed for it by any of the reviewers in the preview. Since shows I enjoy have been getting this ridicule for years, it bugs me a little that nothing is mentioned about this one I have no intention of ever watching. Anyway, carry on...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
YourNameIsMitsuha wrote:
I have not seen this, but I wanted to remark that a show with slavery in it is not being ridiculed for it by any of the reviewers in the preview. Since shows I enjoy have been getting this ridicule for years, it bugs me a little that nothing is mentioned about this one I have no intention of ever watching. Anyway, carry on...

Which show are you referring to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 33