• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino - You be the Interviewer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
v1cious wrote:
not to mention the extremely bleak ending to Space Runaway Ideon.

Although I only saw the ending itself, it appeared that spoiler[all the bleakness was soon compensated for], bizarrely enough. I consider it the most upbeat and optimistic way that a spoiler["kill 'em all"] scenario could end.

I was actually pretty annoyed by that ending. It went from pointlessly bleak to incomprehensibly bright with no rhyme or reason.

Zin5ki wrote:
My second spoiler tag is perhaps unnecessary on a Tomino thread...

Quite.

Why don't we ask him that? Beyond his reported hatred of sequels, why does he off whole casts so often?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
My second spoiler tag is perhaps unnecessary on a Tomino thread...

Quite.

Why don't we ask him that? Beyond his reported hatred of sequels, why does he off whole casts so often?

I read or heard once that he does it to stop sequels of his works being made without his permission.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
He is definitely one of the most important animators out there because he still in his early 20s when he was doing the original Astro Boy anime storyboards.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I read or heard once that he does it to stop sequels of his works being made without his permission.

Love them or hate them, such directorial decisions certainly give closure to the individual characters' plights.
Plus, the OVA series in the UC continuation - the stories which are made as an alternative to direct sequels - remain refreshing by introducing new protagonists and scenarios. If nothing else, they remain safe from the 'murderous' clutches of their universe's creator...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amendez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Questions:

1. You worked on the original Astro Boy series and directed many episodes, what were the most important lessons you learned during this time?

2. Is there any character you've created that you feel is most like yourself?

3. Which directors do you think people should look at more? Which of their works makes you think that they stand out?

4. What do you think makes you stand out as a director? Which of your works is most representative of your directing style? Which of your works is your favorite?

5. Overman King Gainer has a distinct ending but leaves itself open for more. Did you purposefully leave the series open and if so what would you have done if in continued?

6. Your series tend to be either very serious or lighthearted comedies with action. Which do you prefer to work on?

7. As I understand it, Turn A Gundam was originally supposed to have a female protagonist. Why did it change and how would the series been different if such were the case?

8. Due to various circumstances Sayla Mass was unable to be used as a main character in later Gundam series. What would you have done with her character and how would she have altered later series stories?

9. As one of the most influential creators behind the real robot movement how to you think the genre has grown?

10. You have made multiple adaptions of your anime TV series in other media such as movies, books, and manga. Usually each iteration is different. What is your philosophy in that regard?

11. Of all the ways you have influenced anime, what one aspect would you want to be your most lasting legacy?
CyborgZeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Question: Sentou Mecha Xabungle was a pretty light-hearted show compared to your other shows at the time; such as Zeta Gundam. What gave you the idea for Xabungle?

Alternate Question: What do you think of Turn A Gundam's reception in Japan, and would you like to see it available in North America?
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Q1: To think that you were in charged of creating a kid's program with your first Gundam by telling a story of war, it's no wonder that the show didn't do so well commercially back then. However when you tallied up the kill counts in Victory Gundam, this time it's the older audiences turned long time fans that didn't like it so well. That somehow tells me more about the Japanese audiences as a whole, as oppose to your storytelling skills; that no matter how old they get, Japanese anime fans had had problem accepting certain reality.

Therefore, would you agree to that observation and if so, why?

Q2: Technology doesn't make war any better, when overwhelming military might through technology alone can only make people killing themselves more efficiently, it doesn't make people better. That's a part of your anti-war message as I see it, which Bandai obviously missed the point with their merchandising and marketing.

Do you hold any resentment towards Bandai's glorification on marketing Gundam as just another image label, thus result in them disrespecting your ideals of telling a story about anti-war?

Q3: You once said that as a creator, you see yourself having a responsibility with your creation. And that's a duty to create something that will challenge the current audiences' points of view, while consider the long term effects of such creation in the next 10, 15, even 20 years from now. Or something to that effect.

I believe that a human's ability to create is a need to break-free from the past by becoming something original. Therefore when you said that you created the concept of "New types" in order to give the audiences hopes and dreams about the future. Can I also assume that your interpretations of both the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon, and how they treat the emerging new hopes of humanity. As your view on just how the government officials, radical zealous groups, and the rest of society's norms will do to an individual's hopes and dreams about the future?

Q4: Just for the record, this is for my own personal amusement. Do you know about a fictional Marvel comic book character called Professor Charles Xavier, aka as Professor X? If so, what's your thought on being compared to that fictional individual by yours truly?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay, question time is over.

I was wondering if we could get a volunteer to compile all the questions into one post, and remove the ones that were already answered (or put in the "expansion" questions). Please include the name of the person who proposed the question.

-t
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Okay, question time is over.

I was wondering if we could get a volunteer to compile all the questions into one post, and remove the ones that were already answered (or put in the "expansion" questions). Please include the name of the person who proposed the question.

-t
Can we still discuss the questions that we gathered among ourselves using this forum thread?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I would be happy to collate the questions. Do you want me to put them in a .txt file and send it to your E-mail? I think that would be easier than making a huge post that is difficult/time consuming to then transfer the information across to another format.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I would be happy to collate the questions. Do you want me to put them in a .txt file and send it to your E-mail? I think that would be easier than making a huge post that is difficult/time consuming to then transfer the information across to another format.
If you do, may I suggest that you should filter out questions that's not directing toward himself, his works, nor his origins? The example of those would be those comparisons made of his Gundam projects in relation with those that aren't his creations. Because he claimed that he never saw any other Gundam series other than the ones he created, so we won't get an answer for those kind of questions.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
If you do, may I suggest that you should filter out questions that's not directing toward himself, his works, nor his origins? The example of those would be those comparisons made of his Gundam projects in relation with those that aren't his creations. Because he claimed that he never saw any other Gundam series other than the ones he created, so we won't get an answer for those kind of questions.

Alright then. That shouldn't be too hard. Re-reading the thread and making sure I leave out those questions which are weak or have already been answered is going to take the most time; the rest of it is largely a copy-paste-format job. However, I won't be able to do the work for a while as my Minigame entry for the next tournament is overdue. I'll try and get the collation done and E-mailed to tempest within the next three to four hours of this post's timestamp.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So, will ANN post a full transcript of this Q&A session? I'm sure we all want to see if our questions get asked, and what answers they get.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
'Tis finally done. I sincerely apologise; a podiatry appointment and a music lesson both got in my way. Anyway, have already sent it to tempest.

On a similar note, if anyone else wants to see it, send me a PM with your E-Mail (if it isn't already been made public) and I'll be happy to send you a copy. This may be of some use, since I did quite a bit of editing to improve questions, and a few were even amalgamated with others. I did my best, but you might want to check to see that I didn't bastardise your question(s).
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
my english is very poor, but still i may can pick up some questions that has been answered. hope not be too late.

penguintruth wrote:
Question: Mr. Tomino, after all these years, do you think the envisioning of "Newtypes" ...

had been answered.
the latest conclusion in newtype is Z-GUNDAM THE MOVIE 3 is "to love people around you" which actually link to the 1st gundam's "no one can live alone". so at least newtype seems not a big proposition for him.
...however, TOMINO-SAN now is makng the new gundam saga "RING OF GUNDAM", so maybe he will give a new topic maybe.

Quote:
Question: Do you believe that Gundam itself still has a lot of relevance in modern anime? Do you think it can continue to thrive in the mass of titles out there?

first question, TOMINO-SAN has sad that surely he is happy about people watching his films like gundam, but he don't think a creator is necessary to watch his film, cause this kind of animation creators are usually mecha-otaku like persons.
surely, TOMINO-SAN also think gundam is epoch making and has changed all japan animation industry, but it is a 1979 film, so he hope new generation should make the anime of their own generation .

second question, in CEDEC2009's talk(just last month ), TOMINO-SAN said he think GUNDAM series has been ended and cannot continue anymore. therefore, he hope himself(and young people) can show a new direction to the future of gundam series and gundam business. that's what he now want to make RING OF GUNDAM.

Quote:
Question: Are there any still lingering regrets in your career, as far as Gundam or perhaps your more recent works? Do you see Gundam as something best left to a younger generation, or do you still think you have more Gundam stories to tell?

maybe some people have already known that TOMINO-SAN is very strict with himself, so every time when he over a film, he would always say "this film is a failure!". that's because he wants to do a new challange in a film. so i think TOMINO-SAN are many regrets, but maybe question is too big to answer.

Quote:
Question: What exactly are "Newtypes"? ...

had been answered many times. Newtype is just a hope and a feeling that people should reach, not in ability but in mind.

Quote:
Question: Gainax has openly said that they were heavily influenced by Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon, when making Evangelion...

not only eva, but all the society in 90's, japan was filled with negative feeling. you can even say Matsumoto incident included. so after TOMINO-SAN came back in BRAIN-POWERD, he make his mind that don't make the film who make people sick anymore.
why war? that's because the sponser bandai is toy company.

Quote:
What would it take to get the original Mobile Suit Gundam series released in North America ... would episode 15 be included, if only for completion's sake?

about business problems, should ask bandai-visual, i think.

Quote:
Question: Would you like to create another TV series, or is Overman King Gainer your last one?

TOMINO-SAN always say he wants to challange new series, but no one wants to find him, so he is very sad.
in fact, for some reasons, maybe sunrise don't want him make new films anymore, and because TOMINO-SAN had signed that he only can work in SUNRISE, so since 2006, he has been frozen over 3 years.

Quote:
Question : Which work do you look back at most fondly.

most time, he would said "no one" or "the creator don't have a preference".

Quote:
Question: If you could go back and change one of your shows, which would it be, and what would the change be?

no one has asked about this question, but i guess he would say: "i would rather make a new film".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6