• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds X TV/OAV, 5 Initial D Anime Stages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Now if Clamp would hurry up and finish the manga. I have only seen the X movie (cheesy UK dubbing)but should watch the TV show (I have seen clips of it though) sometime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
Wow. Funimation can really afford to redub Initial D? To be honest, I'm shocked. Is it really that popular, or is someone at Funi a really big fan?

I'm happy about X which I never really got into. This provides a chance to maybe start looking into it.

I'm curious about the new Alphonse Elric voice for FMA: Brotherhood. I really liked Aaron Dismuke in that role, so Maxey's got something to live up to.

No kidding. However after what people were saying after the OVA Preimum's release on how old he sounded and that puberity ruined Al's voice, it's no susprise there was a change. Hopefully this new VA can live up to the old VA cause it'll mean "bloody murder" if not.

But what i'm really hoping is that Adult Swim is able to broadcast FMA Brotherhood. I really hope their able to do so.

Also I'm really glad that Funi's remaking the dub version of Initial D. Tokyopop's version was good but extremely medicore at best as well as the other anime they did with rave master being the worst. The only good dubs they(Tokyopop) did was GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka) and Samuari Bout High School.

Funi should also try to get other series licensed by Tokyopop and redub them, especially Rave Master which really need a dub remake really badly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Also I'm really glad that Funi's remaking the dub version of Initial D. Tokyopop's version was good but extremely medicore at best as well as the other anime they did with rave master being the worst. The only good dubs they(Tokyopop) did was GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka) and Samuari Bout High School.

I really enjoyed the dub on Vampire Princess Miyu (TV Series). It's an all around exellent dub. Well at least until the amazing Kimberly J. Brown (who was voicing the lead) left. She really made that dub for me (I loved the way she would say stuff like "Into the darkness...shinma!"). But all the other actors were great as well. Shame the peson who replaced Brown sounded emotionless, bored, and uninterested in comparison. But even with that, it's still a great dub. GTO on the other hand didn't have that good of a dub. Loved Blum as the lead, but really they overused actors on that one. Most of the cast was voicing at least 2 different characters. They needed a larger cast IMO. I mean look I love Wendee Lee as much as the next person, but she didn't need to voice every other female character in the show (Although I have to give her props for at least doing a good job at all of them. Not an easy task I'd imagine)...

And yeah I hope Funi rescues the other titles that Tokyopop is letting expire. They don't need to re-dub all of them though...lol.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, right, redubbing a series that's not really earth-shatteringly poplar, and one that has some 60 fracking episodes, is COMPLETELY LOGICAL. Yeah, and while you're at it FUNi, go ahead and announce the redub of Sailor Moon you've been teasing us with. Because, apparently, money grows on trees over at Flower Mound.....

Don't get me wrong, this is great for Initial D fans, but I honestly don't see how this is a smart idea. There's a lot more, dare I say more popular, Geneon titles that deserve re-releases. Or what about new licenses? Or finishing the truckload of incomplete titles?

Uggh. (And it seems like the FMA announcement was meant to smooth over this bizarre news.)
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Oh, right, redubbing a series that's not really earth-shatteringly poplar, and one that has some 60 fracking episodes, is COMPLETELY LOGICAL. Yeah, and while you're at it FUNi, go ahead and announce the redub of Sailor Moon you've been teasing us with. Because, apparently, money grows on trees over at Flower Mound.....

I wonder if there are some super fans of the show high up in Funimation. Perhaps they really wanted this show, and wanted a new dub too. I'm not sure if this will sell really well for them though, and it's damn long. Last time I company did something like this (because there were lots of fans of the show in the higher ups) was when Geneon dubbed Fighting Spirit and that didn't do them any favors in the long run now did it? I sure hope funi knows what their doing here. But hey this is good news for me. I really would like to buy this.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:

Don't get me wrong, this is great for Initial D fans, but I honestly don't see how this is a smart idea. There's a lot more, dare I say more popular, Geneon titles that deserve re-releases. Or what about new licenses? Or finishing the truckload of incomplete titles?

Uggh. (And it seems like the FMA announcement was meant to smooth over this bizarre news.)

Yeah, pretty much. I don't even see how this could ever come close to breaking even. And that's assuming that they put more effort into this dub. There just won't be enough people willing to buy it. I also think that FUNi has more money than we think they do, and that they are just doing charity at this point. That's the only way this stuff can happen.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:

You seriously need to step outside of your own head for a little while because these comments are not informed by reality at all.

Initial D was quite popular - a good seller for Tokyopop, with a crossover audience. It's a good rescue and is likely attractive to retailers who see Japanese street racers on the cover and will want to put it on shelves. You don't like the show and neither do your friends, I assume, nor is the show popular with hardcore otaku, but that does not mean it isn't a popular show at all. Life exists outside of hardcore anime fan forums.

I'm curious what Geneon titles you think would massively outsell something like Initial D, and I'm also curious to know what this "truckload of unfinished titles" are. There are a TRUCKLOAD of unfinished licenses out there? If so, could you name... let's say 10 shows that are smart licensing choices for Funimation that were never fully released here?

The last bit - where you honestly believe that the FMA cast announcement was intended by Funimation's marketing team to "smooth over" the controversy-free Initial D license pickup - would be funny if it weren't so odd and clearly informed by absolutely nothing.

Yes, I'm sure Funimation's marketing team were sitting around a table before NYAF. "Well, we're going to announce the Initial D license at NYAF." "Oh, the fans will hate that! How can we soothe them?" "Oh, let's also announce the" alright I'm not even going to bother continuing with this but dude, your weird-ass speculation and "ANGRY FANBOY RARGH" stuff is just utterly strange and while I'm sure you'll reject this notion outright, you are generally not right about anything. Sorry.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm tired of all thse arm-chair anime industry watcher idiots acting like they know Funimation's balance sheets better than Funimation does. There's a reason why I don't go to many anime forums, even when there's good news (like say a crappy dub getting reddubbed) we still have pretentious morons who complain about it. I've never seen fans who are so self-loathing and masochistic.

Last edited by jsyxx on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
manafairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
While I don't buy or watch much anime anymore (kinda became a manga person over the last couple years), I think an accurate dub of Initial D is going to be the thing to break that trend for me. I wanted to check it out for the longest time, but avoided it due to Tokyopop failing all over it. Regardless, I eventually caved and bought it anyways because I just really wanted to see some street racing.

Great show. And a watchable dub means my little brothers will actually be willing to watch it with me this time. I really can't wait for that Anime smile

As far as everything else goes, I still own Geneon's X and I still don't like it, so not too excited there. I might check out the FMA rewrite, see if a new Al makes the dub more watchable for me, but, like I said, I typically stick more to manga these days, so more likely than not, I'll just ignore this and continue collecting the manga version.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It was expected with FMAB's voice changes, and I'm looking forward toward speculating which character Aaron is going to play. Most likely Lin.

I would love to hear Luci Christian and Monica Rial play the characters Lan Fan and Olivier Mira Armstrong, whichever for whom I'd like to be surprised with. In fact, if Adult Swim picks this up, I'd like Funi to forbid telling us who the coming characters are voiced by before the episodes are shown. More suspenseful.

But knowing you people, you'll all probably rant and rave til they cave.

And, honestly, I [expletive] hate Initial D.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Redub of Initial D is such a huge surprise to me when I first heard of it. I don't see how this will pan out very well just because the fact that niche sport anime never fare well in America. It may have had some success during the whole Fast & Furious and drifting craze time period, but after the ghetto Tokyopop version along with the vast differences in animation and audio choices from traditional anime, it takes a really open minded individual to love this series.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I got X back when Pioneer first started releasing it back in 2002 — in fact, the first volume came out exactly 7 years ago yesterday — so this isn't big news for me, though it's always good to see licenses from defunct companies get rescued. I'm sure there's some people out there that haven't seen X yet. It was fairly decent, if a very contracted adaptation of the manga, and was much better than the X movie. Now if CLAMP would get around to finishing the manga now that Tsubasa will be concluding soon. As for Initial D, I'm not particularly interested in it, though I'm sure it's fans are excited by this news.

I'm just waiting for Funi to pick up the licenses for the rest of the Tenchi franchise (the older OVAs, "Universe" TV series, and the movies), Trigun, El Hazard, and Fushigi Yugi. Of those, I only have the Tenchi OVA and Tenchi Forever on DVD; I had rented or watched on TV the others, and never got around to picking them up on DVD. Chobits, Hellsing TV, ROD the TV, Ai Yori Aoshi, Dual!, Armitage III, Haibane Renmei, Paranoia Agent, Fafner, and Stellvia would all be worth rescuing. They've picked up just about everything else of note (ADV/Sentai picked up several as well, IIRC).

Last edited by Deadwing on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
JairStout wrote:

You seriously need to step outside of your own head for a little while because these comments are not informed by reality at all.

Initial D was quite popular - a good seller for Tokyopop, with a crossover audience. It's a good rescue and is likely attractive to retailers who see Japanese street racers on the cover and will want to put it on shelves. You don't like the show and neither do your friends, I assume, nor is the show popular with hardcore otaku, but that does not mean it isn't a popular show at all. Life exists outside of hardcore anime fan forums.

I'm curious what Geneon titles you think would massively outsell something like Initial D, and I'm also curious to know what this "truckload of unfinished titles" are. There are a TRUCKLOAD of unfinished licenses out there? If so, could you name... let's say 10 shows that are smart licensing choices for Funimation that were never fully released here?

The last bit - where you honestly believe that the FMA cast announcement was intended by Funimation's marketing team to "smooth over" the controversy-free Initial D license pickup - would be funny if it weren't so odd and clearly informed by absolutely nothing.

Yes, I'm sure Funimation's marketing team were sitting around a table before NYAF. "Well, we're going to announce the Initial D license at NYAF." "Oh, the fans will hate that! How can we soothe them?" "Oh, let's also announce the" alright I'm not even going to bother continuing with this but dude, your weird-ass speculation and "ANGRY FANBOY RARGH" stuff is just utterly strange and while I'm sure you'll reject this notion outright, you are generally not right about anything. Sorry.

1. I've never seen Initial D and have no opinion on its quality.

2. Even if I grant you that Initial D is so much more popular than I'm led to believe, how does that translate to making a profit on a dub for 60+ episodes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you defended ADV's decision to not dub Clannad (a 50 episode series) as a good financial decision? And they're both niche titles (moe and sports/racing respectively). So explain to me how FUNi will make a profit on this if you're so confident that they will.

3. Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Chobits, ROD, Lain, and a few others deserve rescues and are all quite popular.

4. Hell Girl, School Rumble, Case Closed, Negima, Tsubasa, xxxHolic, Rumbling Hearts, Kodocha, D. Gray-Man, and more are licenses FUNi has that haven't been completed in terms of second or more seasons and/or OVAs. But then there's the Geneon distro list of sequels: Shana, Familiar of Zero, MGL Nanoha, Higurashi, and etc.

5. I wasn't being very serious with that last comment.

Edit: As someone else mentioned it, I forgot Ah! My Goddess. Add that to the list.

Edit Edit: Tenchi Muyo as well.

Last edited by Lemoncookies23 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 7 times in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh why can't some one pick up Ah! My Goddess Fighting Wing 2eps and the season 2 of The story of Saiunkoku

Well, they did put out an FMA OVA collab... I'm actually hoping for a disc to have all FIVE OVAs (well, technically 4 with a recap episode, just to make it more full). Don't forget the first season had a couple OVAs :p But yes, I would definately buy it if it came out as such.

....oh and BTW about Initial D and its popularity... let's just say it has it's live action movie on DVD and already been on Blu Ray for a bit too. In fact, I know lots of people into drifting that are into the series. Not anime fans but hey, they like Initial D!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I'd love to see Funimation rescue "Armitage III". I saw Armitage III: Poly-matrix years ago on Sci-Fi, and I loved it. It was my first real taste of anime, and I'd be interested in a re-release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8