• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Speed Grapher DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
After reading this site's review, I was expecting Gantz-like sex & violence every 10 minutes, so I put this title on the back-burner of my list of titles to see someday because my fav Japanese VA's in it. However, I saw it at Hollywood Video for rental so I rented Vol 1 & didn't see the overabundant sex. Yes, the title has issues (I believe I can wait for the box. My VA dies early on & Toshiyuki Morikawa plays baddies in so much, Suitengu doesn't stand out. Hiro Yuki's interesting to come across, but not a reason to buy an anime), but it's not the total sex & violence fest I pictured from the review. The sex is being used to show how out of touch & sick & perverse these leaders that attend the club are, thus they deserve to all die ugly deaths as punishment for looking out for their own interests rather than looking out for the public's best interests as their jobs dictate they should. Suitengu is a devil who tempts his prey with their vices & snaps the trap shut the second they are of no further use to him. Not the most original title(stereotype "This World is Corrupt. Government Leaders are Corrupt. News Reporter uncovers Corruption & ends it" "Someone Unseen by the Public pulling the Strings of Government Officials/Puppets") & there are some glaring plot holes they might clean up in later eps, but a lot of anime have those issues. I'd put Area 88 (tv) as a better title from a photographer's perspective (& both are wartime photographers), but this isn't as dismissably gratuitous as something like Eiken. (Yes, I know Eiken exists only for that reason, thus one could argue it isn't gratuitous, just giving the audience it was created for exactly what they want). However, people looking for Gantz in Speed Grapher will be disappointed in Vol 1 because it doesn't come close
So overall, everyone seems to be coming down on the side of this not being an "A" title so the reviewer was correct in that aspect. It's just a question of which letter of the alphabet the viewer would assign to Speed Grapher & "C" for middle of the road/nothing really outstanding wouldn't be extreme.(my fav VA did great, but it's very much a stereotypical role for him, also. Well short of stretching his abilities by any means)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5