• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classroom Crisis [2015-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The show never achieved real greatness, and its ideas about the necessary marriage of idealism and pragmatism ended up being little more than a vehicle to introduce the personal conflicts of a few central characters.

Head writer Fumiaki Maruto admitted in an interview the story was his first attempt at writing human drama, after the trendy drama of White Album 2 and Saekano's comedy.

The anime director further explained the story was supposed to depict "the tragedy of being a student and a salaryman with a light touch." The scifi elements were to make the drama more interesting, and the rocket invention was to tie in to the "creative work" theme prevalent in Maruto's writings.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that "love triangle" shtick come out of nowhere. The series could have done without it.

But what I want to know is: If Iris is Nagisa then what's Nagisa's real name???

Last edited by Animechic420 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the negative side, the decision to play out the final relationship of Iris, Mizuki, and Nagisa as some kind of love triangle in waiting was about the least compelling choice the series could have made.

My problem was not the triangle, which had already been established, but that Nagisa suddenly shifted to its apex, when it should have been Mizuki there. I just don't want to see Iris as so fickle that she'd suddenly transfer her affections from her reason-for-living to a childhood friend she only just remembered. Her affection and gratitude to him were just that - memories, while her adoration of Mizuki was an ongoing present-day emotion. It should be very difficult to swap those, and to make her jealous of Mizuki on top of that, was either unbelievable or puts Iris in a very unflattering light.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I also think that the conclusion was good enough, but the love triangle thing is annoying to me. Overall Classroom Crisis has more assets than faults. I liked some things a lot, but I rolled my eyes at the sometimes pretentious narrative. I give this show a Decent rating.

Nick wrote:
one of the season's most overlooked series.

Unfortunately this might prevent Classroom Crisis from seeing a physical release.
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a very weak season marked more by its most eccentric shows than any actual classics

I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with Nick. Better late than never I suppose Smile
Suncraft

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
This is definitely one of my favourites of the season. Fantastic characters, easily grew to like all of them.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, after a season of yuri longing for Mizuki, it felt odd to have Nagisa... or Iris... or whatever her name is... all of a sudden falling for her childhood protector. It could have been done better by having her tell them that she loves them both and can't they all just be together, then having the other two freak out at the prospect. Who says Robert Heinlein's group marriages aren't a good idea in futuristic anime? LOL!

(Might be influenced by the fact that I just finished a pair of novels that ends with the main character openly pursuing a plural relationship with her human boyfriend and alien girlfriend at the same time. Granted, the alien girlfriend has two fathers and one mother, so she was fine with the concept from the get-go...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5