• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Discs of Steel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
And this is just with the partial funding of a release, dealing with authoring, packaging, translation, extras, etc. You are not dealing with funding the actual creation of a show. For that, look at Kick Heart (12 mins) and LWA2 (40 mins) for costs.
The funding raised for LWA2 only supplemented the budget that Trigger was willing to lay down with the lack of Anime Mirai.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Purple: I see. But Cinedigm has to probably have deep pockets to get Sailor Moon.

It would probably just be the home video rights, but yeah I can't imagine it being very cheap.

iatheia wrote:
The reason why it was pulled over is because it was too mutilated in the process of "Westernization". And now there is a distrust from their side even if an American company promises a faithful translation, without changing characterization or plot.

That's a fan rumor. There is no confirmed reason why the license was pulled around the world. This included Germany and Latin America, who actually got accurate, well-received dubs. Also, inaccurate dubs with edited dialogue such as the French and Italian ones have been re-released recently.

Personally, I think there was a contract issue with Naoko Takeuchi or a disagreement that disallowed them to renew her contract at that time. There's a bit of evidence that this is related to her. Also, according to Towers, the studio re-releasing the show in Mexico, she has final approval over pretty much everything now, making it difficult to produce new dubbing (although it's still possible. Dynit, the Italian company re-releasing the series, apparently could have redubbed the show, but couldn't afford it). New dubs have happened in Hebrew, Korean, Tagalog, Thai, and Polish (if you count one-man voice-over).
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Don't forget that Funimation is on record trying rather hard to get the rights to Sailor Moon. It's just not happening at this time, on Japanese side of things. But, if they thought they were going to lose money, would they have bothered even to try? Sailor Moon is a holy grail for any older fan. I personally would buy it in a heartbeat if it was available.

The reason why it was pulled over is because it was too mutilated in the process of "Westernization". And now there is a distrust from their side even if an American company promises a faithful translation, without changing characterization or plot.

Please, Sailor Moon was mutilated as well in Italy and nonetheless the entire series is being released on dvd (bad dubbing and all).
So respect for the original is certainly not the reason Sailor Moon is not being published at the moment in the US. The most probable reason is that TOEI wants a shitload of money and Funimation is not inclined to give so much for such an old series.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Please, Sailor Moon was mutilated as well in Italy and nonetheless the entire series is being released on dvd (bad dubbing and all). So respect for the original is certainly not the reason Sailor Moon is not being published at the moment in the US. The most probable reason is that TOEI wants a shitload of money and Funimation is not inclined to give so much for such an old series.

The fact that it's old isn't the problem. If Funi got their hands on Sailor Moon they'd make a killing. Done right, it could easily outsell their entire catalogue (except for DBZ, obviously). My bet is that there's some weird contract issue holding things up.

It's not like Toei doesn't want money. They know the show will sell in the US, but they've been sitting on it for years and earning absolutely nothing. I doubt they're just waiting for a better offer to come along at this point. They've been able to negotiate deals for their other big properties, and they've even been willing to compromise when big shows like One Piece don't pull in the numbers they'd like. It just seems odd that they'd take such a hard and irrational stance with Sailor Moon and not with their other juggernauts.

Naoko probably has something in her contract that compels Toei to demand either a massive upfront payment or an unreasonably high share of the US profits, which is causing the hold up.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
It's not like Toei doesn't want money. They know the show will sell in the US, but they've been sitting on it for years and earning absolutely nothing. I doubt they're just waiting for a better offer to come along at this point. They've been able to negotiate deals for their other big properties, and they've even been willing to compromise when big shows like One Piece don't pull in the numbers they'd like. It just seems odd that they'd take such a hard and irrational stance with Sailor Moon and not with their other juggernauts.

I don't know. Sometimes when I've read articles relating to Sailor Moon I've gotten a feeling Toei doesn't hold the franchise in a very high esteem. I remember one article(can't remember where), where someone was visiting Toei's quarters, and they were visiting a room showcasing Toei's various properties. And Sailor Moon was confined to one tiny shelf...
I'm probably imagining things though...
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading something similar, which specifically stated the Sailor Moon things they had left weren't well taken care of. Given that they're also handling the new series, it stands to reason that they had their opinion on the series soured by outside forces(like the rumored issues with Naoko-sensei). This does raise the question of what caused said issues to be cleared up, to which I suspect the most likely solution is that Toei holds some important rights effectively in perpetuity, which would leave both sides with enough rope to build a bridge with.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Toei has other priorities. Unlike US fans, Japanese fans have moved on Razz PreCure is making them more money than Sailor Moon will, so they focus on that. Sailor Moon is to US magical girl fans as Voltron is to US mecha fans. It was their first so they cling to it and hold it on a pedestal, but the home country has plenty of other, newer shows to watch and fawn over and don't need to obsess with a 20 year old show all the time. I don't doubt Toei would ignore Sailor Moon at a display of their properties when they have more popular, relevant franchises to worry about.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
merr:
Quote:
The fact that it's old isn't the problem. If Funi got their hands on Sailor Moon they'd make a killing.

I doubt it. It would have long been pirated by then, and whatever Toupee is charging for the show would offset any immediate potential profits FUNi would make from it. Just like the situation with the Eva Rebuild films. That cancellation probably saved ADV a lot of grief they would've had to deal with, if they actually were able to continue the series.

Quote:
It's not like Toei doesn't want money.

Yes, it's exactly that Toei doesn't want money-our money to be exact. They'd rather keep screwing us with half-assed releases so they can continue to sell their R2 products at inflated prices without worrying about reverse importation. They're even willing to accept their shows being torrented as the cost of doing business, and not something they should offset. Why do you think they looked the other way on their shit being fansubbed and traded around so frequently for the last 20 years? Their company, as well as Bandai Japan, has some of the scummiest corporate management around.

Quote:
and they've even been willing to compromise when big shows like One Piece don't pull in the numbers they'd like.

The only reason they pulled One Piece from 4Kids is because 4Kids probably claimed they could turn OP into the next YuGiOh, and it didn't work out. So Toei's stock probably took a hit, and they had to lowball the licensing fee for the show to get any reasonable return back on their investment.

Blanchimont:
Quote:
I remember one article(can't remember where), where someone was visiting Toei's quarters, and they were visiting a room showcasing Toei's various properties. And Sailor Moon was confined to one tiny shelf...

Why would they care about Sailor Moon, when they got Pretty Cure, now? And it's still going strong, while Sailor Moon is just coasting off nostalgia.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
merr wrote:

I don't know. Sometimes when I've read articles relating to Sailor Moon I've gotten a feeling Toei doesn't hold the franchise in a very high esteem. I remember one article(can't remember where), where someone was visiting Toei's quarters, and they were visiting a room showcasing Toei's various properties. And Sailor Moon was confined to one tiny shelf...
I'm probably imagining things though...

That's what doesn't make sense though. If Toei simply didn't CARE about Sailor Moon, then they'd just license the series to the highest bidder, take whatever money they can get, and not worry about what happens to the property afterwards.

They may well have other priorities at this point, but they're still a business. I doubt they'd turn down the opportunity to make a quick buck off a show they don't care about, especially when US companies have been chasing the license for a decade. It only makes sense if there's some extra difficulty involved with selling the show that makes the process of negotiating a new license not worth Toei's time. It could be the standard "getting the production committee back together is too hard" thing, but considering that the show has been relicensed elsewhere fairly recently, I'm guessing it's something else.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
merr:
Quote:
If Toei simply didn't CARE about Sailor Moon, then they'd just license the series to the highest bidder, take whatever money they can get, and not worry about what happens to the property afterwards.

And they did just that with DiC.

Quote:
I doubt they'd turn down the opportunity to make a quick buck off a show they don't care about, especially when US companies have been chasing the license for a decade.

And yet they have been doing for the last ten years now.

Quote:
It only makes sense if there's some extra difficulty involved with selling the show that makes the process of negotiating a new license not worth Toei's time.

No, they could get it sold off tomorrow. They just don't want to. I bet even if someone gave in on their asking fee that they'd look for some reason to prevent a deal from happening. They're a terrible company, and the only way they'll ever bend is if people in Japan start losing interest in One Piece and Pretty Cure. And it could happen. After all, Pokemon's clearly a shadow of its former juggernaut self, even over there. Yeah, the games still sell, but the franchise as a whole is currently the equivalent of the post-80s Transformers cartoons here. People still watch 'em, but it ain't a phenomenon anymore.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Pokemon's clearly a shadow of its former juggernaut self, even over there. Yeah, the games still sell, but the franchise as a whole is currently the equivalent of the post-80s Transformers cartoons here. People still watch 'em, but it ain't a phenomenon anymore.

I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay Pokemon's popularity. Putting Pokemon and Transformers on the same level is grossly inaccurate. Outside of some of the best selling games of all time, Pokemon has a weekly anime that regularly ranks in the Top 10, a yearly movie installment which is one of the highest grossing movies in Japan, various OVAs and TV Specials, tons of cross-over promotional gigs with popular musical groups and actors, and tons of merchandise including a popular trading card game and a number of stores dedicated entirely to the franchise. Transformers would kill to have any of that. All it has that is noteworthy is the Michael Bay films, but those do everything in their power to separate themselves from the original brand outside of name. Pokemon might have declined in America, but it's still a juggernaut in Japan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Guile: I don't doubt Pokemon still makes money. But if it were really the cash-cow it used to be, then Nintendo wouldn't be losing money.
Chii85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Has Production IG found someone to distribute Kick–Heart on home video in North America yet?
merr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

No, they could get it sold off tomorrow. They just don't want to. I bet even if someone gave in on their asking fee that they'd look for some reason to prevent a deal from happening. They're a terrible company, and the only way they'll ever bend is if people in Japan start losing interest in One Piece and Pretty Cure. And it could happen.

Toei is a publicly traded company. It exists to make money. Public corporations don't do things because they "want to." They do things because it will affect their profit margin or their share price.

Every decision Toei makes is rooted in the business judgment of its officers and executives. Whether they exercise good judgment is a separate issue, of course, but the point is that no one in the company is sitting there saying "we could sell this license and make a profit, but let's not, because we hate money." They've thought about this issue and decided that it's in the corporation's best interest not to license the series under terms that any US distributor can accept. They're sitting on the Sailor Moon license for a reason. It may not be a good reason, but it is a reason rooted in business considerations, not just a refusal to sell the show because they like being a terrible company and disappointing their shareholders.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Chii: They're selling it as a limited release through Anime Jungle. I guess Amazon will eventually happen, too. Unless they sell it direct through their U.S. site.

merr:
Quote:
Public corporations don't do things because they "want to."

Tell that to corporate scumbags who intentionally tank their own companies and profit by betting against the success of said companies. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
They do things because it will affect their profit margin or their share price.

And for them, being able to overcharge on a show over 20 years old now is more profitable than selling it at American prices, and expanding the audience for it.

Quote:
but the point is that no one in the company is sitting there saying "we could sell this license and make a profit, but let's not, because we hate money."

I said it before: They don't hate money; they hate our money. Maybe some vet from the war who has a grudge against us is still working at their company. I don't know the back-story. But they deliberately sabotage the maximum potential success of their shows in the U.S. They have a history of that practice. I think they just have some haughty attitude that they know better what's good for their properties, just because they were hits in Japan.

Quote:
They've thought about this issue and decided that it's in the corporation's best interest not to license the series under terms that any US distributor can accept.

So you're agreeing with me that they've decided it's in their best interest to lose money to people who bootleg and torrent Sailor Moon all over the internet.

Quote:
It may not be a good reason, but it is a reason rooted in business considerations,

There is no good reason to lose money like that, other than the fact they think they can afford to, since they got all that One Piece and Pretty Cure money. So they don't have to listen to anyone else.

Quote:
not just a refusal to sell the show because they like being a terrible company

No, they just get off on being a terrible company. It's a power trip for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9