• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Loses Appeal of Defamation Case, Faces More Attorney's Fees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tachibana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 pm Reply with quote
oh boy... Laughing
idkAlan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:28 pm Reply with quote
ParallaxSolution wrote:

From what I've gathered, a lot of what he was doing falls into the "open secret" camp where most people were kind of skeeved out by him but the full aggregate of his behavior was not fully put together- and many of his infractions in isolation weren't bad enough to justify cutting him off entirely, at least until the floodgates opened. He used to be a big deal at conventions, I imagine it would take a lot to justify axing him as a guest.

Supposedly, some of the allegations of sexual assault of female VAs were suppressed, in the ealry 2000s due to Vic's close relationship with then Funimation CEO, Gen Fukunaga.

Seeing as how Funimation was pretty much the only major player for stable VA work for anime, it could be why Vic's actions were "tolerated" in the early 2000s.

As well as why once anime in the US went mainstream and Funimation was bought by Sony Pictures US, due to major players (Netflix, Hulu, AT&T via Crunchyroll, etc) in the game Vic's actions could no longer be suppressed.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:24 am Reply with quote
I've thought this since before meeting him and seeing what a weirdo he is, but was he ever that great of a VA? I'll grant him some scenes as Ed in the 03 FMA and maybe he was alright as Yukito from Air, but aside from that? He made Tamaki so much more annoying than necessary. Most of his ADV roles were awkward sounding. Fittingly enough, his most natural sounding role was Kurtz from FMP, a perverted wannabe playboy in his 20s who peeps on teenage girls. Maybe it wasn't even acting.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
It makes me wonder, if fans and youtubers knew about his behavior for this long, how has the industry let it slide?

So many reasons.

Some of Mignogna's behavior was an open secret stretching back to the mid-2000s, but the most lurid details we're not known by many people. For the most part, he was generally just believed to be a whinny, pre-Madonna douche that acted slightly inappropriately with his fans, but didn't cross any black and white lines.

There were rumors about him sleeping with his fans, but to most people these were only rumors, and the assumption was that the fans in question were adults, and the behavior was fully consensual.

Keep in mind, Mignogna was extremely popular. He made good money for anime companies and conventions, so many of them were willing to work with him despite the rumors (which again, were mostly unproven and didn't cross any black and white lines).

Some conventions did unofficially blacklist him (ie: they just decided not to invite him back, without every announcing anything), because of his behavior, but that was never made public. Some of these conventions stopped inviting him simply because he was a PIA to deal with, not because of his inappropriate behavior with female fans.

As was recently disclosed, some of his employers did investigate allegations against him in the past. But we don't know what exactly they were investigating (I assume these were allegations of improper behavior towards his coworkers), nor do we know the outcome other than the fact that he wasn't fired.

It was only when the allegations against Mignogna became public in early 2019 that, as more and more allegations were made, a few of them worse than what had previously been rumored, that people realized just how prolific and inappropriate his alleged behavior was. But even then, none of it was bad enough to warrant legal action against him. Pulling someone's hair is assault but it's unlikely yo lead to a criminal assault conviction. Grooming is terrible, but it is in a legal gray-zone and extremely hard to prove. etc.

Finally tolerance and understanding of this sort of behavior has changed significantly since the early 2000s.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Los Nido

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:18 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
You know, professionally, the earliest point that Vic should've run into trouble was ironically the FMA 03 dub. Allegedly, he asked the writers to tone down the script so that Ed wouldn't have to outright proclaim his atheism due to Vic's own beliefs. The instant he refused to play the character straight should've been the instant they got someone else. Ironically, this turned out to be his most iconic role and the one that he'd never be replaced for.

I don't agree with this. That was common practice with dubs back then and it's still a common practice in dubs today that industry people and translators defend. If anything, it was far more acceptable with fans back then for dubs to change things and alter characters and plotlines given the way people swore up and down for the English dubs for Dragonball Z, Shin-chan, Super Milk-chan, Ghost Stories, Sgt. Frog, and many other shows with fast and loose dubs. If Fullmetal Alchemist came out today then yes, I could see an instance like that being yet another dub controversy on the internet with people complaining about a dub shoving religion into a show, but I can't really say something like that was out of place or odd in the early 2000s and warrents controversy.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I've thought this since before meeting him and seeing what a weirdo he is, but was he ever that great of a VA? I'll grant him some scenes as Ed in the 03 FMA and maybe he was alright as Yukito from Air, but aside from that? He made Tamaki so much more annoying than necessary. Most of his ADV roles were awkward sounding. Fittingly enough, his most natural sounding role was Kurtz from FMP, a perverted wannabe playboy in his 20s who peeps on teenage girls. Maybe it wasn't even acting.

I always felt like casting him as Rohan in Diamond is Unbreakable was a great move. An egotistical, self-absorbed asshole? Yep, that's Vic!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:13 am Reply with quote
Los Nido wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
You know, professionally, the earliest point that Vic should've run into trouble was ironically the FMA 03 dub. Allegedly, he asked the writers to tone down the script so that Ed wouldn't have to outright proclaim his atheism due to Vic's own beliefs. The instant he refused to play the character straight should've been the instant they got someone else. Ironically, this turned out to be his most iconic role and the one that he'd never be replaced for.

I don't agree with this. That was common practice with dubs back then and it's still a common practice in dubs today that industry people and translators defend. If anything, it was far more acceptable with fans back then for dubs to change things and alter characters and plotlines given the way people swore up and down for the English dubs for Dragonball Z, Shin-chan, Super Milk-chan, Ghost Stories, Sgt. Frog, and many other shows with fast and loose dubs. If Fullmetal Alchemist came out today then yes, I could see an instance like that being yet another dub controversy on the internet with people complaining about a dub shoving religion into a show, but I can't really say something like that was out of place or odd in the early 2000s and warrents controversy.

If it was shoving religion and such lines were not in the original Japanese (similar to some of the lines forcibly-injected lines in some simuldub epi.), sure. However, if the original Japanese did have occasional lines addressing religion, there shouldn't be a controversy unless the Eng. lines talked about religion more than the Japanese version.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:27 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
It makes me wonder, if fans and youtubers knew about his behavior for this long, how has the industry let it slide?

So many reasons.

Some of Mignogna's behavior was an open secret stretching back to the mid-2000s, but the most lurid details we're not known by many people. For the most part, he was generally just believed to be a whinny, pre-Madonna douche that acted slightly inappropriately with his fans, but didn't cross any black and white lines.

-t

I remember having an opportunity to chat with a staffer at the convention I used to attend back around 2008/9. Somebody asked him about inviting Vic since he was a big draw. The staffer commented that Vic was always one of the most requested guests and he would likely draw a crowd. But, he had a reputation for being a diva that was difficult for staff to manage, as well as expensive. He didn't elaborate on it, but did say they weren't going to invite somebody like that when there were plenty of nice VAs to choose from. Whatever influx of registration he might bring wasn't worth the headache of dealing with him.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Excoman wrote:
So, is he guilty, or innocent?

On this site users hate him (not me, I have no reason to hate a person that never interacted with me in my life, regardless of what they done somewhere else), but on others many people believe in him.

Victor Mignogna was not on trial, he was the plaintiff suing Funimation and three others for one million dollars over them interfering with his ability to find work. He lost his court case in the anti-slapp phase, which he appealed, the appeal sided with the defendants and even ended up with Victor having to pay additional lawyer fees to the defendants.

It’s obvious to most Victor was purely suing to harass and stop co-workers from freely speaking out against him, which is why he has to foot over half a million dollars to pay for his failed lawsuit.

The funny thing is, he could have called it a win if he had not appealed. While his suit was thrown out, Rial was awarded a fraction of her attorney fees, and Vic had spent almost nothing since the lawsuit was financed by his angry fans. Working on the idea that the purpose of the suit was to financially punish those who spoke up against him, he had actually succeeded by the bank account numbers. However, by appealing he has spent more money on the appeal (possibly blowing by what had been raised by angry fans), has to pay the attorney fees for everyone he sued on the appeal, but the appeal specifically ruled that the initial judgement was too low, reducing the financial damage he was able to inflict considerably. A self-own for a truly disturbing person.
Geoduck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
NiPah wrote:
Excoman wrote:
So, is he guilty, or innocent?

On this site users hate him (not me, I have no reason to hate a person that never interacted with me in my life, regardless of what they done somewhere else), but on others many people believe in him.

Victor Mignogna was not on trial, he was the plaintiff suing Funimation and three others for one million dollars over them interfering with his ability to find work. He lost his court case in the anti-slapp phase, which he appealed, the appeal sided with the defendants and even ended up with Victor having to pay additional lawyer fees to the defendants.

It’s obvious to most Victor was purely suing to harass and stop co-workers from freely speaking out against him, which is why he has to foot over half a million dollars to pay for his failed lawsuit.

The funny thing is, he could have called it a win if he had not appealed. While his suit was thrown out, Rial was awarded a fraction of her attorney fees, and Vic had spent almost nothing since the lawsuit was financed by his angry fans. Working on the idea that the purpose of the suit was to financially punish those who spoke up against him, he had actually succeeded by the bank account numbers. However, by appealing he has spent more money on the appeal (possibly blowing by what had been raised by angry fans), has to pay the attorney fees for everyone he sued on the appeal, but the appeal specifically ruled that the initial judgement was too low, reducing the financial damage he was able to inflict considerably. A self-own for a truly disturbing person.

To be fair, even if Vic hadn't appealed, Rial and Toye still had legal recourse to dispute the amount of the judgement. By appealing, Vic rendered that unnecessary.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm definitely in the camp of people wishing his name never comes up again.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I always felt like casting him as Rohan in Diamond is Unbreakable was a great move. An egotistical, self-absorbed asshole? Yep, that's Vic!

To me, he made Rohan seem like a pedophile. And that was the last I watched of Jojo. I just can't stomach it anymore.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:20 am Reply with quote
He used to be acclaimed as one of the better dub voice actors, but now a lot of people are attacking his voice acting talents. Is it something we're all just noticing now? Do people who were more critical of him just feel more comfortable stating their grievances now that he's unpopular? A mix of both?

Me personally, I only liked a couple of his roles, but I don't think I ever put him on the same level as the greats. He's no Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman, Liam O'Brian, etc. He's just always kinda done his job and left. Hell, even as your average "protagonist-kun" role, Todd Haberkorn and Bryce Papenbrook did far better.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
He ranges from just passable to good. I find I like him more in his smaller roles, like the one off characters he played in Princess Tutu, Panty & Stocking, Ghost Stories and Space Dandy. He's not that well suited to leading roles, FMA had a very good ADR Director and a large ensemble cast to support him. Kurtz was a good perfomance, but I hear Don Rush(ADR Director for FMP) is very demanding and has lots of takes, so he might have just dragged that performance out of him.
Guile wrote:
Vic Mignogna appeared in lots of 2000s era internet culture from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series to That Guy With The Glasses skits. He was also the guy behind the famous 2009 Sakuracon video.
I recognise Tiffany Grant, who are the others?
Millennial Anime Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the Vic stans and YouTubers are taking this news?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9