• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 am Reply with quote
I remember what went down in the first season. It's just that all the arcs in that season are not centered around any Hashira at a time, except for their sporadic appearances.

Not sure if this is what's gonna happen, but I feel like the trajectory for the trio is about going down the Hashira list as "interns" in their journey to climb up the ranks as demon slayers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, that battle was exhilarating! The formula never gets old for me: bad guy mouths off continuously, humiliating the hero... and you just know the Great Comeuppance is coming. Ahhhhhhh, that's the stuff.

For anybody familiar with the source material, this question: is there enough material for another arc adaptation in the not too distant future or should we settle in for a bit of a wait?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For anybody familiar with the source material, this question: is there enough material for another arc adaptation in the not too distant future or should we settle in for a bit of a wait?

You can find the answer to that question yourself by searching the website for news articles on the printed source material.

Here's a start: manga#20224
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh man, that battle was exhilarating! The formula never gets old for me: bad guy mouths off continuously, humiliating the hero... and you just know the Great Comeuppance is coming. Ahhhhhhh, that's the stuff.

Yes, there is. The manga has been completed since May of 2020.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:40 am Reply with quote
@ Beltane70 - thank you!

@ Harleyquin - I'm always a bit leery of doing what you propose since sometimes you come across spoilers that way. However, I did check out the manga page and it is clear that based on chapter titles, slightly less than half of the manga has been adapted to anime. Woo-hoo! Clearly lots more material to work with.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:14 am Reply with quote
Season 2(?, Entertainment District Arc), Episode 11 (season finale)

It is a little confusing whether being comfortable in saying this is the 11th and final episode of a second season, since the movie pretty much was pretty much split up into TV chunks first, with some new bits. I would say that its story filled out the 11 episodes out well, with maybe even a touch of emotion with seeing the true familial relationship of the villains.

My rating is going to be Very good (8/10), I rather enjoyed this season, and I don't think that I have always been the biggest supporter of this franchise, but it certainly avoided a lot of pitfalls than I can have with such shounen shows. Often the "quirky" characters can grate on me, but I even kind of gave into the hype of the flashy ninja. Even with those weird muscle mice.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:37 am Reply with quote
Final:

8/10.

I'm going to start on a tangent here.

The main gripe I have with the Mugen Train Arc is how they tried too hard to make me feel sad over a character whom I knew for less than two hours. You could only do so much but it was overdone, partly because of time constraint (you can only do so much in a single movie). Plus, Rengoku and Akaza's fight felt like it was ram-rodded into the show which didn't feel right to me when the bulk of the movie has not been about them in the first place.

Okay, end of tangent.

The Entertainment District is an improvement over the Mugen Train Arc. Partly because it has 11 episodes in all to develop the story, and especially, the characters. Still had some problems with how the show ram-rodded flashbacks in between fight scenes which felt intrusive, although I know the purpose for doing so. But it's not as bad as how the Mugen Train Arc did it; it's much less disruptive in the overall viewing experience.

But more importantly, KnY as a whole works wonders for one simple reason: execution. Just purely impeccable execution. It's not about originality or amazing storytelling. It's about how the scenes are choreographed amazingly. Sure, ufotable obviously pours all their funds into this franchise and it paid off in spades, but it's more than just that. Even if I knew what's going to happen in the story (i.e. predictability), the direction nevertheless blows me away.

For example, the final episode. I already knew that it's going to be about Daki and Gyutaro's background story, since we already know from the onset that every demon in this show has a story to tell. Even so, I thought the part when Gyutaro and Daki were fighting was incredibly poignant. I credit this to direction and voicework (I've always acknowledged this show's incredibly voicework, and I knew the voicework for this arc is going to be amazing when Sawashiro Miyuki is involved... one of my fave voice actors of all time). It made me feel something, a first in the franchise.

This arc isn't perfect, but in the grander scheme of things, it achieves something: excitement for upcoming arcs. I know this franchise is going to get only better from now on, and this arc is a sign (or an omen? Lol, the Master is right!). I look forward to more arcs from now on with bated breath.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
Double-header, but the animators needed it because Daki (Ume) and Gyuutarou had their story to tell. And theirs is a story that is no less tragic than Rui and the Spider Family. Although viewers would have been repulsed by the pair's conduct and actions throughout this arc, at least there is context for the rationale behind their actions. Ume might not have realised it, but she gave up the opportunity for reincarnation to fulfil the promise she made with Gyuutarou, which the latter eventually remembered and appreciated all the same. Tanjirou was right: at the very least they had each other even when the whole world was against them.

Unfortunately viewers will never know who the pair's predecessor was, since even in the credits he's just referred to as the "Upper Six". Perhaps his whimsical gift eventually led to his downfall when the pair he spared eventually turned on him and claimed his place.

Edit: Dead wrong. The VA matches the news article which reveals his identity as Douma. I've read the source material but had forgotten what he'd looked like.

It's good to see Tengen survived, along with his wives. Yes he's lost his left arm and left eye, but he's still alive and has earned his retirement. Nezuko came good at the end to save two lives, again showing how integral she's becoming to the motley crew of neophyte Slayers.

The next arc will be animated, which is no surprise since the series is an absolute blockbuster and there's enough fans worldwide to warrant adaptations all the way to the end. This was a good arc, although on its own it wasn't long enough to cover one season (the two double-headers compressed the airtime to fit schedules) so I can see why they decided to reanimate the movie with extra filler to keep memories fresh. I don't think they'll need to for the next arc, which is going to be some time away as the animators deserve at least a year's vacation.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But more importantly, KnY as a whole works wonders for one simple reason: execution. Just purely impeccable execution. It's not about originality or amazing storytelling. It's about how the scenes are choreographed amazingly.

Naturally this is true for you, but it's not even close to being true for me and based on comments I've read, it's probably not true for a large segment of KnY's huge fan base. Many of us clearly have an emotional attachment to the characters that is a result of events that have happened, humour and backstory (told through flashbacks). In other words, through writing. You fall squarely in the James Beckett camp where apparently your sole enjoyment comes from the show's technical animation prowess. Again, that's cool for you, I guess, but I just don't believe that KnY would be as popular as it is if that was a common position.

In any case, I loved this arc as I've loved everything that proceeded it and can't wait for the next installment.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You fall squarely in the James Beckett camp where apparently your sole enjoyment comes from the show's technical animation prowess. Again, that's cool for you, I guess, but I just don't believe that KnY would be as popular as it is if that was a common position.

Fair enough, I don't disagree.

I only consume anime and I don't read manga at all, so any anime I watch is taken at face value. KnY is amazing but I feel like it's because ufotable makes it so. If the bells and whistles are taken away, I'm not too sure if the show is still as amazing as it is now. I feel this way also because of my personal take on the shounen genre (at least it's shounen to me, and no, never been a fan of this genre) which, for the longest time, I always feel follows a formulaic template.

But KnY is proving to be the best of its genre right now, and even if I'm not a fan of the genre, there's never been a moment when I don't enjoy watching anything from franchise. If anything, it's proving me wrong on what the genre can do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:55 am Reply with quote
@ AC x S - that's cool. I too feel like KnY is head of the shounen class. And there's no question that if you took away ufotable's "bells and whistles" it would indubitably be a lesser show.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:01 am Reply with quote
A solid start for the new season. Refreshing to not see the team be together for the upcoming battles.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
S3 #1

It's a double-header, and probably the right choice since the franchise is actually at its weakest when it has to deal with long segments of exposition with no action scenes spread in-between. For those who could not or would not watch the movie recap which bundled this double-header at the end, time to find out if it was worth the hype. For ADHD viewers and action junkies, this double-header is exactly the type of episode which they can skip and not really care much. For everyone else who likes this franchise and the world it's trying to describe, there's quite a lot packed in for what is effectively an aftermath episode structured in a similar way to the double-header immediately after Mugen Train.

Without taking notes, what struck me (purely as a viewer, I do know what's in the source material) included the following:

1. Kibutsuji Muzan is related to the clan head invested in his destruction. Since the demon is immortal, it's his descendants who've been trying and failing to kill him and his servants for centuries.

2. The last time the Upper Demons were summoned was when there was a change in their hierarchy. Douma used to be number Six, he's now number Two and Gyutarou took his place. Now that the seat is vacant again, Muzan might fill it if his mood improves. 113 years is a long time though, considering how often the Lower Six change their membership in the interim.

3. The Upper Six can change their numbers in the hierarchy by challenging higher ranked members in duels. Akaza would dearly love to since Douma is one spot above him and he finds this a grave insult, but he cannot because One and Two are so strong he doesn't bother as it would imply a suicide wish.

4. Viewers might be wondering why Kokushibou (One) is the only one to wield a katana. That's the big surprise down the road depending on whether the franchise is animated completely.

5. Looking at the animation at the end, no Inosuke nor Zenitsu for this arc. Considering how unpopular the latter is and how noisy the former can be, some viewers might find this a relief.

6. Kanrouji gets along with just about everyone because of her unique personality. Probably the last person viewers would associate with being a pillar, but there's a good reason she holds her position. This arc is her spotlight, so let's all enjoy it.

7. Likewise the Mist pillar Tokitou has actually cameoed in the Yuukaku arc in Uzui's reminiscences. Viewers who remembered his appearance will recall Uzui rates him highly as the most naturally gifted of all the pillars, so since he's featured in this arc viewers will also get to enjoy what he brings to the table.

There's a lot packed in to an exposition double-header, but what's great about this franchise is that it doesn't linger too long on world building and gets straight to the point with its narrative and action. If the pacing is like the previous arc, then viewers won't be bored for too long.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:11 am Reply with quote
S3, 1:

A very solid start for the new season.

Just like the previous season, the first episode is a special long version and starts deliberately slow, the perfect way to ease everyone into the new arc. This time we get to see all the Upper Class demons (which has been spoiled by social media, unfortunately) and this we get to see TWO HASHIRAS. Interesting to see how the demons hierarchy works. We already saw how powerful Akaza is, yet Douma is able to outrank him during their tenure together. Makes you wonder how untouchable Douma is.

And by the looks of it, Tanjiro may not have Zenitsu and Inosuke along his side this time (almost like saying they've been replaced by Mitsuri and Muichiro. Uncanny resemblance to My Hero Academia, this is where Tanjiro will get a big boost in his skills upgrade. Also uncanny resemblance to MHA, Genya is voiced by the same guy who did Bakugo. BECAUSE OF COURSE HE IS. The hotheaded character archtype, much.

A no-brainer that I'm sticking around. This season is spectacular with so many high-profile titles, and this is one of them.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:17 pm Reply with quote
S3 #2

The Mist Hashira might be the most talented person ever to enter the Corps, but his talent comes at the price of zero interpersonal skills. His crow has the ego to match his talent, but the swordsman isn't much interested in training to care about social niceties or anything else for that matter. It's interesting that for all of the crow's big talk, Tanjirou points out he doesn't actually use the Sun technique which the Fire wielders have been jealous about for centuries. Tanjirou himself can only use the technique unconsciously, so if he's not related to the swordsman the question is why he can use the technique. Viewers will know his father used the Sun technique to do a dance all night despite a frail constitution, so the techniques were passed down his family for centuries. Question is, how did that come to pass? The dream sequence offers a clue, but there's not enough based on that alone to draw a definitive conclusion.

The focus this week is on the mechanical contraption modelled on an actual swordsman. Yoriichi must be the name of the swordsman, since zero shiki means type/form zero and is just a suffix. Must have been absurdly skilled that a training dummy needs six arms to even copy some of the moves. Tanjirou has come close to death many times in this series, but this is the first time where he's actually been at death's door thanks to starvation and thirst. Somehow he figured something out at the precipice, which gives him the power-up he needs to overcome the unfair challenge placed before him.

Leading into the next episode, that sword inside the broken head must have belonged to the Sengoku swordsman in question. As unrealistic as it is, the contraption must be moving from the "inherited memory" of the sword itself. How else could a mechanical contraption like that move in the same way humans do unless it had a copy to work with? Tanjirou more than anyone else will feel some connection with the sword, but he'll need to pull it out first and see for himself.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11