• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Picks Up Evangelion:1.0 Anime Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
lyricaldanichan wrote:
I am wondering if Funimation will have this out in the movie theaters like they did with Full Metal Alchemist? This movie has to be shown on a big screen because it is that beautiful!

Still waiting for the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei announcement.. don't fail me now Funimation!

SZS doesn't seem like something FUNi would want to do, I dunno, just a feeling. Besides, imagine how hard it would be to have all those on-screen things translated, given the limited ability of DVD subs. Oh sure, they could just skip them, but they're prevalent in every single episode, and some are funny. And printing it out in a companion booklet is out of the question too, as that just makes it harder to bother with. Not to mention just like Gintama, a lot of the jokes end up being centered around puns that make more sense in Japanese, thus requiring even more TL notes, also, how would a dub handle those situations? Not saying that it shouldn't be licensed, but it would just be awkward. On a related note, how well did ADV handle Pani Poni Dash?

Calculusman wrote:
Or Shakugan no Shana II Very Happy

The first half of the second season was pretty lame, but for the sake of completion it'd make sense to license, depending on how well sales did for season 1. The movie would just be a waste however, since it was literally a recap with barely better animation.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
I thought Pani Poni Dash turned out pretty good, though I never watched fansubs back at that time and haven't watched it in japanese at all.

I think the dub is good though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I thought Pani Poni Dash turned out pretty good, though I never watched fansubs back at that time and haven't watched it in japanese at all.

I think the dub is good though.

I mean more like, was there a lot of on-screen text? If so, how did the subs handle it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
So it looks like they'll be next in the industry domino game, because they probably overpaid for Eva in the hopes that people will buy DB in spite of that live-action movie. If the fans are not going to buy the show for a jacket, why bother with a reboot? Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So it looks like they'll be next in the industry domino game, because they probably overpaid for Eva in the hopes that people will buy DB in spite of that live-action movie. If the fans are not going to buy the show for a jacket, why bother with a reboot? Rolling Eyes

I see you don't understand Evangelion fandom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
WOOOT!!! This is AWESOME! Thank you a ton FUNimation Very Happy
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I see you don't understand Evangelion fandom.

Exactly. Us Eva nerds will pretty much buy anything that has new content in it. Anno could release a new directors cut of the entire series, with the only added footage being of Shinji sitting on the can, and you know what? The fans would buy it.
Hell, the second disk of the Directors Cut DVDs had a whopping five minutes of Kawaru talking added, and some re-done animation, and they charged about $26.00 for it. I remember having to go to the store they day it came out, cause I HAD to have new Eva.
Never underestimate what Evangelion fans will throw their money at.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
やった! This is going to be an interesting year. (Wonder why ADV/Manga Ent. dropped the ball on this one.)
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Grammar errors and factual errors in the first sentence. (Their, not there) Geneon never went bankrupt.

I don't like nitpicking, but it's hard to take the rest of the article seriously after that. Unfortunately the blog post doesn't get any better further on, while correct in his assumption that ADV was in trouble at the time, the author offers completely erroneous explanation as to how the company got into that situation.

ADVs licensing practices did result in a few missed targets, but for the most part they were successful and were not the cause of ADV's financial woes.

Amusingly, the first comment posted by a reader was closer to the truth.

Expanding into TV, merchandise and manga were key contributors to ADV's financial woes.

I do apologize if you are the author, or if he is reading my post now, but I thinks it's reasonable for me to correct information being bandied about in this forum.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:28 am; edited 3 times in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Calculusman wrote:

The first half of the second season was pretty lame, but for the sake of completion it'd make sense to license, depending on how well sales did for season 1. The movie would just be a waste however, since it was literally a recap with barely better animation.

The movie isn't just a recap. It tells the beginning story as it actually happens in the novels instead of how JC Staff originally animated it. And the first half of the second season is around 90% filler.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
If Rei is recast, it's practically a given that Monica Rial will get it. She's had several roles where she uses a similar voice, so I figure it'll be an easy one for her. I'd really hope they could dig up the original voice for Gendo because whenever the new Gendo in the director's cut spoke, I had to repeat the line in my head with the original Gendo's voice. I'd honestly be surprised if Tiffany Grant didn't get Asuka. If it's not offered to her right away, I'm sure she'll audition for it considering how much she loves the character.

I'm fairly excited for the new movies since it'll be interesting to see a new take on it. As the series and the movies showed us, nothing is firmly set, so I'm fully expecting a different ending. Although it'd be hilarious to me if we ended up getting a remade End of Evangelion. Not likely, but still a fun concept.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
Finally.

November 10, 2009.

Damn it. That's two years after its initial showing in Japan, and one-and-a-half years after its Japanese DVD release!

We better get this on Blu-ray to make up for the delay.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Finally.

November 10, 2009.

Damn it. That's two years after its initial showing in Japan, and one-and-a-half years after its Japanese DVD release!

Translation, dubbing, authoring...these things, they take something we call "time".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Finally.

November 10, 2009.

To quote Cheech Marin's character from Ghostbusters 2 "Well, better late than never."

But yeah, it's taken this long because ADV was probably initially going for it until they ran into problems. But why it's taking 11 months from now is being me. Dubbing isn't even an issue, it'd only take a few weeks for that. And reverse importation can't either, not with how rabid Japanese fans are over Eva, and given the time-frame, and that they've already seen it in theaters. If they're waiting for a BD release, it'd make more sense, but so would getting the DVD out there while also saying that the BD is on the way, so you don't have to buy twice.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
Maruna wrote:
We couldn't possibly be getting more, right? What could possibly out-hype Soul Eater and Evangelion?

Card Captor Sakura?

It would be soooo nice to get a shot at some (non-Viridian) thinpaks without paying the eBay/Amazon scalpers... yes-siree.

Calculusman wrote:

Or OVA+box, for those of us with singles, because it was a week to the wrong side of Geneon's kill-date?

Key wrote:
Ms. Grant has occasionally worked for Funimation over the years, so her return seems highly likely, and while Ms. Keith doesn't work a whole lot, she does tend to reprise roles she's done in the past, so both of them seem likely. Although he's still active on the 'con scene, Mr. MacAvery apparently hasn't voice acted in years, so he may or may not be back.

If those three are solid, then I wouldn't mind a recasting elsewhere. While I liked Amanda Winn Lee as Rei, that performance could be done adequately by someone else. (She reportedly has expressed interest in reprising the role, though.) Spike Spencer has also reportedly expressed an interest in reprising Shinji, but I don't regard that as crucial, either.

We are casting for the new Eva movies, are you interested Mr/Ms Any-possible-voice-actor-who-knows-of-the-series? ... yeah, see how far you get through that question before the "OMG YES!" hits.

jdnation wrote:
C'mon Funi... BLU-RAY !!!!! ALL THE EXTRAS!!!! FANCY MENUS!!! BD-LIVE and 2.0 features!!! Picture in Picture storyboards!!! Interesting Commentary!!! GAH!!!

Though I'm wondering if I should pick this up now, or wait 4 years for a box set of all 4 films... ah damnit, I'm too impatient for this... but I'll really kick myself if the inevitable boxset is really lovely with more significant extras...

Ack! Decisions ... decisions ... can't they just charge us $65 for Eva 1.0 and 3 blank BD's to burn later in a pretty box? Maybe $90 to reverse import from the future when they are all out?

Not sure what I think of their new sites though ... doesn't play well with IE8, doesn't permit the simple method of flipping to compatibility mode, and all while NOT being https.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Finally.

November 10, 2009.

Translation, dubbing, authoring...these things, they take something we call "time".
Translations were done more than a year ago for the Pusan film Festival. Dubbing an hour and a half of footage does not take a year and a half. Authoring CERTAINLY doesn't take a year and a half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10