• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenatsu

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@AnimeKing1108 he's the only guy who replied cause its obvious you're not looking for a discussion on AOT..your mind is obviously made up..
i personally liked AOT..didn't follow any fangroups..didn't spoil for myself. IF you want to get into specifics about some issues in AOT then i'm up for rebuffing all those negatives you mentioned
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Because I really hold the most unpopular anime opinion: I like spoilers because I like to know if I'm wasting my time on a show.

I'm grateful for spoilers for the same reason. If I don't really care about a show/movie/book, etc., I'll read spoilers.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Hey Animeking, how about you not be a giant hypocrite in terms of spoilers. Part of your titan long rant was about the diehard fans of it randomly shouting out spoilers. Yet you're too bloody lazy, you said so yourself, to put up proper spoiler tags in your rant. As you pointed out in your rant not everyone has seen it, so thanks for the spoilers. Hadn't finished it myself so once again thanks a bunch. Why not practice what you preach while up on your soapbox belittling people.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
swords, because "weapon"
Swords because nothing else really works. Call the titans' regenerative abilities contrived, but they do manage to justify the swords.

All they have for weapons other than swords are bows, muskets, and black-powder cannons. I wouldn't blame them for going with swords and 3D Maneuver Gear as their Titan-slaying tools of choice. Once you move up to at least World War I-era technology, though, you have no excuse for losing other than your own incompetence.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I don't get how Jean is cliche to you when he's probably one of the more developed characters in the show. He goes from being a spineless coward to someone other people who are not freakishly talented like Mika can look up too because he knows what it means to be weak. As the series goes constantly pushes himself to not run away from the dangerous situations and in many ways is the most realistic character in the show. While most people in the show are either dedicated to the cause or scared poopless Jean remains in the middle meaning he is still very much afraid but doesn't let it get in the way of doing what's right.

I very much agree. I found Jean to be one of the more interesting characters of the show. He's almost the only one who gets developed. Eren and Mikasa - not so much.

As for not liking Attack on Titan being an unpopular opinion, I don't know. Sure, there's a huge fanbase, and the show was very popular, but wasn't there also quite a lot of criticism flying around when it aired?
Bango

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Pretty much any popular show is like that though. "overrated" "trite" "pandering" "formulated to make the dumb masses like it" are common criticisms of any popular show.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
Tangential musings on weapons and Attack on Titan aside, though, here's my unpopular stance (which may not actually be that unpopular after all): I absolutely thrive on spoilers.

To me, there's a huge difference between merely knowing that an event happened and actually being there to see that event happen. You can tell me all you want about characters dying, plot twists unfolding, and other major story events, but I won't be satisfied until I actually witness those major story events for myself (as well as the buildup to and the fallout from those events).
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
^I envy you. Smile
Bolaum

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Tangential musings on weapons and Attack on Titan aside, though, here's my unpopular stance (which may not actually be that unpopular after all): I absolutely thrive on spoilers.

To me, there's a huge difference between merely knowing that an event happened and actually being there to see that event happen. You can tell me all you want about characters dying, plot twists unfolding, and other major story events, but I won't be satisfied until I actually witness those major story events for myself (as well as the buildup to and the fallout from those events).

I agree so much with you. While I was watching One Piece I'd constantly go to its Wikia just to see what happens much much later (sometimes 400 episodes later). For some reason these spoilers always made me more excited for it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I generally don't have any problems with spoilers, either. Heck, I saw the synopsis for every episode of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam about a decade before I had been able to see the series!
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Jumping on the not-quite-as-unpopular-but-still-unpopular opinion train that spoilers don't tend to bother me and that I often go looking for them. I knew about a majority of the spoilers for TTGL, and it still ended up being one of my favorite series ever. Spoilers can help me build up anticipation for a series (or certain scenes) and also steer me away from something I know I wouldn't be interested in (and save hours of wasted time).

I have been known, when following books on ongoing series, to read the last few chapters the second I get the book in my hands just to know how it ends. Whether or not I invest the time depends upon how much I liked it. I don't do this for every series, but it tends to come in handy when I'm short on time and have more interest for other things around me.

Also, I just can't stand not knowing how something ends. Even if I've lost interest or I dislike the series, just the fact that I am aware of the story/concept makes me want to know how it ends. I want the closure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Well I knew about Red Wedding well before I even started Game of Thrones and I even saw a clip of the scene on youtube. But it didn't ruin the experience.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll second willag's opinion, although I don't usually go looking for spoilers. I appreciate being able to watch a show fresh, but I think good execution of story elements is far more important than the story elements themselves so I don't really care about spoilers. And I think there are some particularly dense shows where looking up/knowing spoilers beforehand is actually an asset to fully understanding it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess I'll be the unpopular opinion of I don't like things being spoiled (nor people complaining about it yet doing it themselves in the same post due to admittedly being lazy). I like to go into a book, movie, tv series, etc and see it without knowing what's going to happen next. The anticipation IMO is just not the same when you know the outcome. Nothing beats that first time when it's a giant unknown to you. Now re-watch value and being able to watch something multiple times despite knowing the outcome is the sign of a great show. That's a different debate though.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Hey Animeking, how about you not be a giant hypocrite in terms of spoilers. Part of your titan long rant was about the diehard fans of it randomly shouting out spoilers. Yet you're too bloody lazy, you said so yourself, to put up proper spoiler tags in your rant. As you pointed out in your rant not everyone has seen it, so thanks for the spoilers. Hadn't finished it myself so once again thanks a bunch. Why not practice what you preach while up on your soapbox belittling people.

And yet you continued reading anyway? Your post implies that you saw my warning. At this point, spoiler[Titan Shifting] has reached "Darth Vader is Luke's Father" levels of a spoiler. Or, at least that's what the internet keeps telling me. I thought everyone else had their ability to enjoy the series ruined like I did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 84