• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hate of Dragon Ball Z

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm not the only one.Tell me why you hate Dragon Ball Z.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Dragonball Z.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I like Dragonball.

I bought all of the Dragonball Z Manga (although it was onyl called "Dragonball") just to follow the characters that I had grown attached to in the earlier story arcs. There was some occasional Toriyama comedy in the Z storylines, but for the most part I admit the constant fighting and powering up was tiresome...

I liked it simply because I liked the characters, but the first parts (thefirst 13 graphic novels) were definitely better IMHO.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't care for it when my anime club showed it when they could have been showing much better anime like Urusei Yatsura or Patlabor (which was, at the time, yet to be licensed) and such, but on YTV I've warmed up to it, since I know that it's not taking up space on the schedule where they could schedule better anime, just space on the schedule where they'd otherwise be showing Rugrats or Hey Arnold.

EDIT: I should clarify... my anime club did show Urusei Yatsura and Patlabor, I just wanted them to show more episodes of it when they were showing DBZ instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Tell me why you hate Dragonball Z. As for me, I don't hate it, but I'm certainly not a big fan of the series. Toriyama character designs don't rock my world, nor does the length of the series with such a limited plot. (The absurd length of the series combined with a very, very simple plot is the same reason why I can only stand Sailor Moon in movie-sized doses.) The plot is very drawn out, filled with logic holes (in my own personal opinion), and it's just not something that can captivate me for more than two episodes in a row.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked it when it first aired on TV in the mornings before it went to Cartoon Network. However, as soon as CN started showing re-runs I became disenchanted. I usually don't like to talk about DBZ and I'm not interested in it. However, I do have a internet friend who loves it to death and I'm not afraid to buy DBZ things for him.

However I cannot stand Sailor Moon or Poke'mon. And sadly my younger sister is into Sailor Moon.....UGH....and Barbies. Yeah, I'm sort of what you call a Tomboy or weirdo. So I don't go for Girly girl stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Hyena wrote:
However I cannot stand Sailor Moon or Poke'mon. And sadly my younger sister is into Sailor Moon.....UGH....and Barbies. Yeah, I'm sort of what you call a Tomboy or weirdo. So I don't go for Girly girl stuff.

You know, I read your messages here, the AnimeNation.net forum (where I'm Kiyone BTW), the Fox Firefly forum, I think the AICN Anime and Firefly Talkbacks upon occassion and elsewhere, but I never realized you were female! I guess it's just never came up.

I'm a 28 year old man and I adore Sailor Moon, but you don't have to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultrabot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather indiferent to the series by themselves, just the rabid fanboys that think it is the end all be all of anime, they irk me. and Majin Buu is the greatest
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I never realized you were female! I guess it's just never came up.

Hahahaha!! You should have seen Outlaw Star.Net in it's early days on Ezboard. Alot of the guys there freaked out when they found out I was a female. The same happened to Crimson, people always thought he was female. So he had to put in his profile that 'He was not a GIRL!!' from now on in case of any newbies make that mistake. I didn't know you were a guy since you always used Kiyone as an avatar.

BTW, I did mention I was a girl at least once or twice on the OLS section of Anime Nation. Other places you can find me at: Itoh's English board, White Wolf's Werewolf forum section (finally remembered my password), Outlaw Star.Net, various Yahoo groups on Rage CCG, OLS, Itoh, and Werewolf.

As for Sailor Moon, if other people like it then I don't bother them on their threads talking about it. If I don't like a certain anime series then I don't talk about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I did it to figure out exactly how many hate it,just out of curiosity.The reason I hate it is because of the plot it lacks.If
you do watch it,it's probably not for the plot or charecter
development,for sure.What were they smoking when the came up with Majin Bou?I've got nothing against Dragonball,just against Dragon Ball Z.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:27 pm Reply with quote
There's a plot, it just takes awhile for it to develop. It's the impatient people that don't want to sit through some of the slower episodes to find out what the plot is. (Which is usually "Save the Earth from someone")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hakootoko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:11 pm Reply with quote
It's the agonizing slowness for me. They can spend episodes just building up their chi and not doing anything. Not my idea of well-spend leisure time.
ownerizer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:42 pm Reply with quote
We call Dragonball Z the "broken record anime" and "Drag-on Ball" make you're own conclusions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DigiNeoX20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:09 am Reply with quote
Well like Pokemon, my interest of DBZ is starting to drop. Because it's like the same, even though they come out with a series of new episodes.

I mean, there's other better animes to watch than DBZ.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'm with Tempest here; I like Dragonball. It's wierd and funny and the characters are fun. Fighting was usually second to potty jokes in that show.

As for DBZ, yeah, I'll watch it every once in a while, but it is rather boring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4