• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Revival to Have 'New Original Anime Programming'

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
I must say that I do not really understand why some people feel that though this venture will automatically fail. Well, what does failing even entail anyway? I mean you can't expect that the new Toonami will do any worse than the current [adult swim] action block right? That's the only definition of failure that I can think of here. What's more, people complain that this block will not have any new programming but they've already confirmed that we will be getting something new, so there's that as well. Honestly, I can only see this being a good thing for [adult swim]. The people looking for the nostalgia of Toonami might come back and start watching again, and the people who were already watching the [as] action block won't really have a reason not to continue watching will they? This seems like a win-win to me.

Because the entire argument (that matters) in favor of Toonami is "it'll bring in new American anime fans".

However this gets counter-argued by your statement; as you say, it's appealing to nostalgia; i.e. people who already know about Toonami and are, in fact, anime fans, who just want to tune in to relive the good old days. That's not capturing a new audience at all. The only 'new' people being attracted to watch Adult Swim's anime stuff is nostalgic anime fans, people who already watch anime, just not anime on TV, which makes it fairly pointless if the goal is to get people who don't watch anime into it. There's better ways to market anime if that is their desired goal.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
I must say that I do not really understand why some people feel that though this venture will automatically fail. Well, what does failing even entail anyway? I mean you can't expect that the new Toonami will do any worse than the current [adult swim] action block right? That's the only definition of failure that I can think of here. What's more, people complain that this block will not have any new programming but they've already confirmed that we will be getting something new, so there's that as well. Honestly, I can only see this being a good thing for [adult swim]. The people looking for the nostalgia of Toonami might come back and start watching again, and the people who were already watching the [as] action block won't really have a reason not to continue watching will they? This seems like a win-win to me.

Because the entire argument (that matters) in favor of Toonami is "it'll bring in new American anime fans".

However this gets counter-argued by your statement; as you say, it's appealing to nostalgia; i.e. people who already know about Toonami and are, in fact, anime fans, who just want to tune in to relive the good old days. That's not capturing a new audience at all. The only 'new' people being attracted to watch Adult Swim's anime stuff is nostalgic anime fans, people who already watch anime, which makes it fairly pointless.

There is of course the possibility of new people tuning into the block. Mind you I don;t expect new viewers to suddenly flood there. but new fans can possibly be born from this. Plus as already mentioned the only real way for this to "fail" would be it somehow getting lower ratings than AS saturdays would normally which is rather unlikely.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:

However this gets counter-argued by your statement; as you say, it's appealing to nostalgia; i.e. people who already know about Toonami and are, in fact, anime fans, who just want to tune in to relive the good old days. That's not capturing a new audience at all. The only 'new' people being attracted to watch Adult Swim's anime stuff is nostalgic anime fans, people who already watch anime, which makes it fairly pointless.

There is of course the possibility of new people tuning into the block. Mind you I don;t expect new viewers to suddenly flood there. but new fans can possibly be born from this. Plus as already mentioned the only real way for this to "fail" would be it somehow getting lower ratings than AS saturdays would normally which is rather unlikely.

Actually, given the increased cost of putting this on the air (new promos, licenses, etc) if it was to do the same, it would hurt them far more financially.
Farix

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Actually, given the increased cost of putting this on the air (new promos, licenses, etc) if it was to do the same, it would hurt them far more financially.

I think it is more about rebranding a segment of [as] that doesn't fit into the rest of the lineup. The [as] brand is based entirely around adult comedy series, but the Saturday block are mostly action series. By resurrecting the Toonami brand, which is already associated with action series, they can make a clear distinction between their action and comedy series when it comes to marketing their advertisement space to potential sponsors.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/#!/Clarknova1/status/204624211082350593

"That was PR-speak that ended up being confusing. Sorry about that. NO ORIGINALS. Just new acquisitions."

No original shows.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
https://twitter.com/#!/Clarknova1/status/204624211082350593

"That was PR-speak that ended up being confusing. Sorry about that. NO ORIGINALS. Just new acquisitions."

No original shows.

Translation: "Ignore the next Tim and Eric sh**fest we greenlighted."
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
If Toonami ever aired a fan service title it should be one that has some action in it. Too bad Tenjou Tenge is in limbo atm. Laughing

Forget that idea. Tenjou Tenge is also in the same catagory as Ikkitousen and ESPECIALLY Grils Bravo & Queens Blade.

NEVER EVER GONNA GET A BROADCAST!!

Though Tenjou Tenge got one thanks to Fuse TV, it was massively edited , and unless they make an anime sequel for the series , it's highly unlikely those three series will be included.

It's like a said before, the only fanservice based series they'll show are those from harem series like Rosario + Vampire , Love Hina or even Negima.

Though the best best for the revivial is Shouen jump based series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11