• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most unheard of anime you have

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Mine would be Crisis in the Cool Zone: Chillable Red.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cgoten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Aya Reiko wrote:
The closest thing I got to obscure anime is the DarkStalkers OVA series. But I don't think that it is really that obscure. Everything else I have I'm sure everyone here has at least heard about.

I was just about to say the exact same thing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Some of the rarer things in my collection (from memory):

Bayscape 2040 [er, or was it 2032?] (a short produced by Running Ink and Paint, with some notable names from AnimEigo.. for AX1992 as I seem to vaguely recall. Technically not anime, but...)

Young Woman's Detective Agency (original name unknown, but it ain't that Debutante Detective OVA released by ADV)

Cream Lemon Graduation

Pandora's Box (a low-quality H series that I get the distinct impression of being french-produced instead of Japanese.. also has no credits or company logo; yes, I'm certain it's a bootleg.. but from what, I'm not sure.)

Arctic Animation's fansubs of Urusei Yatsura TV 1-2 (the anime's well-known, but, the original AA releases are certainly rare in this day and age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'd have to actually look at my collection to say something really rare (I'm not home right now), but I'd say the rarest thing I've got are the two Pokemon winter specials. As far as I know only walmart had them in the US and they only were available for the winter season (first one the winter of 1999 and the other one 2000 I think, not possitive) so their really hard to come buy. Only available on VHS and I'm pretty sure they were never shown on TV. About 20mins each tape I think they were sold for about $8.

Oh, I've got an original US VHS version of Windaria too! Got it brand new at a video rental store just a few years ago vor about $5!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Man, I went to all the trouble of making up a phony anime title and nobody says anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
drakh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... Probably Eat-Man '98.
cookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Man, I went to all the trouble of making up a phony anime title and nobody says anything.

that's because it didn't sound real enough. :p
Kagato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I think I saw that Pokemon movie at a Wal-mart a few years back,too.In fact,I was just in at my local video rental store and
it caught my eye.Has anyone even seen Battle Skippers?
cookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Kagato wrote:
Has anyone even seen Battle Skippers?

Yes...
darkstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't say any anime I own is obscure (at least not anymore). But I do have what I think is a fairly obscure animated movie in my library - anyone else ever see "Rock & Rule"? Think it's a canadian animation, but I'm not 100% sure. Two of the VA's are Iggy Pop & Debbie Harry and it was a somewhat dark story, but amusing at times. I have yet to run into anyone who's seen this.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:45 pm Reply with quote
darkstar wrote:
Well, I can't say any anime I own is obscure (at least not anymore). But I do have what I think is a fairly obscure animated movie in my library - anyone else ever see "Rock & Rule"? Think it's a canadian animation, but I'm not 100% sure.

Some of the work on Rock & Rule was done by the same guy who did the character designs for Inspector Gadget..

Actually, it even predates Gadget by a few years...

Nelvana had a hand in it's production, and have been planning a DVD release of it for the last 2 years or so...

... but I've yet to hear if it's actually been released.

Hehe. In fact, I had only just stumbled across it a few days ago while looking why Gadget had all his parts replaced (in the cartoon)... the answer, btw, is because he slipped on a banana peel and fell down a flight of stairs. :p
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Kagato wrote:
Has anyone even seen Battle Skippers?

Seen it? I had to fight with a lady running a booth in the dealers room at Otakon to get volume 3 for $2.50 on VHS!! I have to admit though, I was a bit turned off by the rape scene, but that was years ago so maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Just seemed strange that the chick is nearly raped and acts like nothing happened when she's saved!

Emerje
Kagato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The first volume of Battle Skippers I saw seemed like it was aimed at younger audiences.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Kagato wrote:
The first volume of Battle Skippers I saw seemed like it was aimed at younger audiences.

It IS aimed at kids, infact the US VHS tapes start off with commercials for the toys! I wish more domestic distributers would do that as a bonus!! However, the themes are a bit, um, bizare.

Emerje
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so people know what's in our collection. Now I want to know if anybody has seen the mentioned anime series by other members so far.

Because I would love to find other people into KO Century Beast and Ryu Knight (even if I only saw four esp.s to the OAV: Adeu's Legend).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3