• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo's Iwata Discusses Anime's 'Road to Survival'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Will there ever be another "Eva"? I think that's one thing that could help the industry get out of its rut...but that's just me.

I'm pretty sure all the studios are just about out of ideas. Sure there's some good stuff out right now, but they're becoming rarer each season, and even then, there's some shows that can't be licensed or have been overlooked. It's a shame about Macross Frontier, because I'm sure that'd have been a huge success.

About people still preferring fansubs over Crunchyroll, people may prefer using their own media players with better encoded files.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
There's one more cause: falling quality and repetitiveness. As shown on the Sankaku blog even Japanese fans don't want to watch the same time and time again.

You mean...you mean people are getting sick of harem/moe anime, Gundam wannabe anime, and generic shonen shows? This is completely shocking and astounding, I cannot fathom why people would get tired of watching genres that do little to vary their own themes and character archetypes.

Nah, the problem was with anime long before the economic clusterf*ck. Before the '90s, almost all anime was ultra-violent, sex-filled OVAs. It's not a new issue, but it seems to be at the forefront now more than ever.

EDIT: walw6pK4Alo -- part of the reason we'll not see Macross Frontier is that ten-foot stick up a certain company's ass that still has US rights to Robotech.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
EDIT: walw6pK4Alo -- part of the reason we'll not see Macross Frontier is that ten-foot stick up a certain company's ass that still has US rights to Robotech.

I know, and it's terrible. Robotech produced what, one measly movie in 20 years while Macross continues to go on with more stuff? Fortunately, we can still wishful thinking for the future that the legal disputes, and music licenses, will somehow resolve themselves. More than anything, I want to see Do You Remember Love? released here as I believe it still has some of the best animation ever for the entire medium. And about fansubs, I think they're most important for things such as these, ones that we will never see over here in any fashion legally.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I understand your point about fansubs being the only option for stuff that will never get a domestic release, certainly. But why doesn't HG see the wisdom in allowing them to bring Frontier over here? It has the name recognition right out of the box -- it would not be hard to sell it to fans of Robotech/Macross Saga at all, and if they're still doing reissues -- most recently the Protoculture set -- people are obviously still buying Robotech stuff, so why not go ahead? The worst they can do is make a profit. Crazy, I know.

Anyway, studios running out of ideas is nothing new. In America, we crib liberally from pre-existing sources for our Hollywood movies. Not that that is always a bad thing -- Dark Knight was brilliant -- but they need to push the envelope. Japan's fear of change and trying new ideas is an issue their culture needs to get over. I mean, sheesh, it goes back to being afraid of moving from the feudal system to a democratic one and having a prime minister instead of an emperor, but the stubbornness factor is ridiculous at this point.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
@Unit 03.5-ish:
People aren't idiots just because they don't care about watching Naruto on CR and prefer fansubs. Quality on CR isn't really good and fansubs are available in HD-quality. Also I - and many other people - HATE (!) streaming videos.

But I think a shrinking of the anime market isn't that bad. There are way too many new series each season and many of them are just... garbage.
Concentrating on less, better series would be better, I think.

Also, I didn't like the idea of excessive expanding of Anime worldwide from the beginning. I like Anime - but I don't want Anime on overpriced DVDs!!
Further, concentrating on the Japanese marketplace could lead to more series which are aimed specific to a Japanese audience and aren't adjusted to a worldwide audience (which would be good, I think).

And concentrating on the Japanese marketplace could also lead to a boom of fansubs, because if new series are only released in Japan, people will need more fansubs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It's the otaku who need to change, but if they will remains to be seen. The only anime I can actually call different and new right now is Michiko to Hatchin, which makes sense as it's Manglobe. Other than that, it's all stuff we've seen before. Even a good show like Casshern Sins is still a sequel in the end.

And I don't get this whole "anime for Japanese" thing either. Isn't that they've been doing? There's only a few studios that tried to make things slightly more western, but without mass exposure here, it almost doesn't make a difference in the end. This whole situation is really weird and probably requires expert market analysts to figure out how this will ever work out. Again, Japanese stubborness with making DVDs come out later here is hurting them in the end, because the internet lets us grab it faster. Sure 10 or more years ago, there probably wouldn't have been as much as a problem, but that was due to technological limitations, and you can't simply rely on peoples' good will either. Given the chance, yes, people will ruthlessly steal your intellectual property.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Quote:
The DVD marketplace also became more difficult as some titles sold less than 400 copies nationwide.

Wow, I wonder what particular titles sold such small numbers? Shocked

Quite a few, I'd say. As far as I know, in Taiwan (which has 1/5 population of Japan) only Ghibli titles can sell over a thousand copies.

Hmm. The original article is not perfectly clear what for what nation these "nationwide" numbers apply. I would have guessed the US, from the companies mentioned in that particular paragraph, but it could have been Japan. I wouldn't have thought it meant Taiwan.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Further, concentrating on the Japanese marketplace could lead to more series which are aimed specific to a Japanese audience and aren't adjusted to a worldwide audience (which would be good, I think).

I don't think it would be good at all. Anime has only two audiences in Japan: kids and nerds. More Japanese oriented would mean more moe, more pantsu, more lolis, etc. Recently, anime is too oriented in the Japanese marketplace, it would be terrible if anime become even more oriented to Japan.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
@Unit 03.5-ish:
People aren't idiots just because they don't care about watching Naruto on CR and prefer fansubs. Quality on CR isn't really good and fansubs are available in HD-quality. Also I - and many other people - HATE (!) streaming videos.

The difference is, in the case of fansubs, not a red cent goes back to the original creators. I'd rather see people support something that gave back to the makers, even at the cost of super HD quality. People are so whiny -- OMG IT HAS TO BE IN FIVE GAZILLION P RESOLUTION OR I WILL NOT WATCH IT! Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
@Unit 03.5-ish:

The difference is, in the case of fansubs, not a red cent goes back to the original creators. I'd rather see people support something that gave back to the makers, even at the cost of super HD quality. People are so whiny -- OMG IT HAS TO BE IN FIVE GAZILLION P RESOLUTION OR I WILL NOT WATCH IT! Rolling Eyes

Because it's available, I'd assume. Anime nerds are nerds, we know about audio and video quality and we'll go at greater lengths to acquire it.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
OMG IT HAS TO BE IN FIVE GAZILLION P RESOLUTION OR I WILL NOT WATCH IT! Rolling Eyes

Well, I didn't think 480p was unreasonable, if that's what you're implying. I think customers should expect a certain minimum standard from legitimate channels, since below 480p the quality of the video really does start to degrade...and therefore, the quality of the whole viewing experience.
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I find this quite depressing. I purchase all my anime in the form of Region 1 (mostly English dubbed) dvds and it is pretty much my only form of entertainment. I live on a fixed income and put any extra into the hobby and have been doing this for the last 6 or 7 years. I really don't understand the explanations, but at least I have an extensive library of dvds to fall back on to rewatch when they decide to abandon us over here. I can't understand why they would want to do that but they will be cutting off their own nose to spite their face when they deprive me of the opportunity of buying anime released in the US. I find it hard to believe there isn't a good enough market over here.
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
@Unit 03.5-ish:

Well, if you don't watch Naruto in HD, you are missing out on the awesome animation.

Edit: I don't really think that this is anything new, and I don't think the guy knows the European anime market very well either, since at least the French and German market make big profits (although that might change).

Last edited by Labbes on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZetaEpyon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
The Japanese needs to think outside the box and take matters into their own hands by including English sub on their releases more frequent . Just like BV is doing for some of their releases, instead of pushing the blame on international markets for not wanting to buy their releases.

I am sure that there are lots of fans outside Japan who would love to buy the Japaneses released (DVDs/BDs) for their shows (especially if they're not licensed), but are relucant to do so mostly due to the lack of sub. Of course, with more sales and market expansion the prices will be pushed down gradually.

I would absolutely love for this to become more common. I would certainly import discs of stuff I really like straight from Japan if they included English subs, even at Japanese prices (which are steep). The really sad thing is, it's even easier to do now with something like Blu-ray, where the region coding for Japan and North America are the same.
viciousnip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
The translation of the article doesn't seem right.

Pretty much all Iwata is saying is that digital distribution of anime via crunchyroll has a potential future.

Somethings that I found interesting that were not translated...

- Fansubs in the US are released illegally within days of Japanese broadcast. Because of this, fans in the US watch fansubs and are nolonger interested in watching the anime when broadcast in the US. This leads to poor rating and anime and future anime being dropped by US broadcasters.

- Titles that were developed with an US fanbase in mind: Blue Dragon and Keroro

- Broadcasters in Europe are more interested in showing programs developed in their own culture/country and have limited time frame to broadcast anime. There is an over abundance of anime which Europe has purchased and has not broadcast, and they do not want any more.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7