• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Infinite Stratos Novelist Yumizuru Confirms More in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
I don't get it -- why is this guy anathema to them that they would reject the script and release him? I have to imagine there are a lot more problematic authors for them other than one that is just lazy and wants to play video games all day.

This confirms that Japan really doesn't like money. His series sells like 35k per volume, and they turn around and give up the rights?

Does not compute...
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why can't the headline ever be "NEWS: Infinite Stratos Novelist Yumizuru found dead in hotel room due to suspected auto-erotic asphyxiation"? That would be the best.
How is this guy not permabanned yet?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Why can't the headline ever be "NEWS: Infinite Stratos Novelist Yumizuru found dead in hotel room due to suspected auto-erotic asphyxiation"? That would be the best.

Didn't he just get off a ban?
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Didn't he just get off a ban?
Yeah. He's been temp banned multiple times and put under moderation before too if my memory is right.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
Good to see that there is at least some news on the subject of whether or not the series will continue.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

You are sick.

Yes I am sick. That is to say, I'm sick and tired of bad works being popular and selling lots of units and getting sequels. I will say that I don't actually want the dude to die; I was not being serious when I suggested that headline. But, if he had a nasty accident or got a debilitating illness and therefore was unable to keep churning out that crap . . . well, let's just say if I were to shed any tears they would be of joy. And that is the truth. Does that make me a horrible person? Not really; it is only natural to want people you dislike to suffer misfortune.

strawberry-kun wrote:

You people have no sense of humour.
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
The general fandom has bad taste, dtm42. The Japanese fandom has worse taste than most, because their government doesn't do anything about mental illnesses. And with the internet, they can all reinforce an unhealthy mindset between each other while holed up in their government paid apartments permanently.

This is why you get stuff like the MC of a series picks a girl, or the girl is hinted to have had a boyfriend before, and you get some of the fandom burning and breaking their manga and merchandise, etc.

I wish sometimes that I could just assume a Japanese pen name and was fluent at Japanese instead of just passable. Writing LNs is like printing money. You hire a good character designer and throw darts at a board of cliches and tropes -- it writes itself.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Shocked...what did I just walk into.

Well I'm just happy there's going to be more materials to adapt a second season. If I remember correctly, the anime did amazingly well in terms of sales, not mindblowing Fate/Zero level of sales, but far more than expected. So if this goes through there is a high chance of a second season.

See? It IS possible to be happy about other people's success without wishing life-crushing misfortune upon them.

I wouldn't wish EA or Activision to burn down to the ground and go out of business, let alone a single author trying to make a living writing stuff we enjoy(Char!!!!!!!!)
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see that Fate/Zero decided to skip having volume releases entirely, and just went with the full box set instead.

While F/Z sold just shy of 50k, which is really really good of course. IS wasn't a slouch either. I think between the BD and DVD sales, it was in the 35-40k range for Vol1, which is still an overwhelming success. I don't think there have even been more than a dozen or so series ever that sold that well. Maybe 20 tops.
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
I would probably watch another season of IS should one ever get made. However I really, and I mean really don’t want to watch anymore IS. I’m not exactly eager for more IS and yet my curiosity about the show will compel me to watch more. So I’m kinda hoping no more gets made because I definitely will be watching it if it does. Yeah I definitely have a love/hate relationship with this show. So... hooray for more IS novels?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
While F/Z sold just shy of 50k, which is really really good of course. IS wasn't a slouch either. I think between the BD and DVD sales, it was in the 35-40k range for Vol1, which is still an overwhelming success. I don't think there have even been more than a dozen or so series ever that sold that well. Maybe 20 tops.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1972211#post1972211

These are all the top selling anime since 2000, when sales started to get tracked in a better way so theres more credibility. Since 2000, its the 17th best selling anime, on the same level as stuff like Angel Beats, Ano Hana and Persona 4.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Joke or not, that's rather tasteless (being tasteless doesn't break the rules though people, so stay on topic). Whether you meant it in jest or not, implying delight in someone elses death is kind of disturbing.

This really doesn't surprise me though. It seems that crap sells these days; I mean, just look at "Twilight". Many authors/novelists/writers/etc. realize they can cash in by writing for whatever fanbase is really prolific at the time. It's a shame that there's so many truly great works out there that dwell in obscurity while mass-market junk gets all the attention simply because the writer knows who to write for, regardless of how much they know about how to write anything good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ani-watcher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprise if it'll be a PSP game similar to Oreimo and BokuTomo. I also heard that Toradora had one, that's crazy...
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
The general fandom has bad taste, dtm42. The Japanese fandom has worse taste than most, because their government doesn't do anything about mental illnesses. And with the internet, they can all reinforce an unhealthy mindset between each other while holed up in their government paid apartments permanently.

This is why you get stuff like the MC of a series picks a girl, or the girl is hinted to have had a boyfriend before, and you get some of the fandom burning and breaking their manga and merchandise, etc.

So how do you explain fans outside Japan? Do I have a mental illness? I suppose your solution is for government to brainwash people into thinking the right things

Quote:
I wish sometimes that I could just assume a Japanese pen name and was fluent at Japanese instead of just passable. Writing LNs is like printing money. You hire a good character designer and throw darts at a board of cliches and tropes -- it writes itself.

If that is the case, how do you explain the fact that most shows--which includes many of the titles disliked by people here--by far, are poor sellers, remaining in the red for a long time. You even acknowledge this:

aereus wrote:
IS wasn't a slouch either. I think between the BD and DVD sales, it was in the 35-40k range for Vol1, which is still an overwhelming success. I don't think there have even been more than a dozen or so series ever that sold that well. Maybe 20 tops.

... which is in contradiction to your previous statement. If it's so easy to write crappy big hits, then why are there only a handful that make it (that is, quickly recoup their investment)?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If that is the case, how do you explain the fact that most shows--which includes many of the titles disliked by people here--by far, are poor sellers, remaining in the red for a long time. You even acknowledge this:

aereus wrote:
IS wasn't a slouch either. I think between the BD and DVD sales, it was in the 35-40k range for Vol1, which is still an overwhelming success. I don't think there have even been more than a dozen or so series ever that sold that well. Maybe 20 tops.

... which is in contradiction to your previous statement. If it's so easy to write crappy big hits, then why are there only a handful that make it (that is, quickly recoup their investment)?

It contradicts nothing. Those poor sellers still sell; someone out there is still buying them.

Changing the subject somewhat, Chihayafuru (which is a great show) got a second season despite the first season selling two thousand copies per volume or so, which is absolutely bad and well below the level of profitability. Keep in mind that Anime is mostly created to boost sales of Manga, Light Novels and games. Then there's merchandise. Now it's true that only a few shows manage to outright make a profit just from home video sales, but many of the works which don't still eventually end up turning an overall profit. Hollywood is the same. Waterworld, one of the most expensive and infamous flops in Hollywood history, did manage to turn a profit more than fifteen years on. I think Justin Sevakis mentioned that it can take years for a typical Anime series to be profitable due to merchandise et cetera.

Just because profitability takes a while on the Anime side of things doesn't mean that the storylines weren't incredibly easy to write up. The only smart thing that this Yumizuru fellow did was mix Mecha with Harem, thereby gaining both fanbases. But each and every individual element to the story and character's personalities are by-the-book and lacks any creativity whatsoever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5