• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 90s Part II: Ice To See You

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Dude...the whole show is 26 episodes. It doesn't start getting incredibly awesome until episode 8, and then it becomes just the greatest thing ever until the galaxy shurikens, where it becomes the greatest things ever squared. That's how awesome it is.

And Libera Me From Hell is the greatest song from an anime ever. I don't care what anyone says.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
...until the galaxy shurikens, where it becomes the greatest things ever squared. That's how awesome it is.

"Galaxy Shurikens" is one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It's like the people who made the show have zero understanding of the laws of physics and have no concept of making something plausibly believable.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
...You do realize that a piece of fiction does not have to adhere to the laws of physics at all, right?

I mean, you worship goddamn Madoka, whose plot relies on twisting the principle of entropy to something utterly unrealistic.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
At least that series presents it an intelligent way so I can suspend my disbelief. There's no way I can suspend disbelief at a robot so large that it throws spiral galaxies (which are rare by the way) as shurikens. The writers clearly don't even know what a galaxy even is.

Even if it were possible for a robot that large to exist - which it can't - it wouldn't be able to grab a galaxy. At that sort of scale galaxies would have the same density and solidity as fine mist.

Tell me, have you ever successfully grabbed a handful of fog and turned it into a shuriken? Has anyone? No, of course not. So why would you believe that throwing a galaxy would be any different?

Fictional stories can have impossible things in them without problem, but not that sort of impossible.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
You're overthinking this. The show is a big love letter to the super robot genre, and the word impossible simply does not exist in those universes.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fictional stories can have impossible things in them without problem, but not that sort of impossible.

"Go beyond the impossible and kick reason in the face!"

PMMM is fantasy that's actually science fiction. TTGL is science fiction that's actually fantasy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
RahXephon was a big love letter to Mazinger Z, and yet it completely failed to incorporate any galaxy-chucking, I'm happy to say.

Love letters do not need to resort to throwing the galaxy out with the bathwater just to make their point.

fuuma_monou wrote:
"Go beyond the impossible and kick reason in the face!"

Except Reason then beats TTGL's arse and leaves it pegged upside-down to a clothesline. Reason is a tolerant guy and usually looks the other way but kicking him in the face is a bad idea.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
...until the galaxy shurikens, where it becomes the greatest things ever squared. That's how awesome it is.

"Galaxy Shurikens" is one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It's like the people who made the show have zero understanding of the laws of physics and have no concept of making something plausibly believable.

I always figured that that sequence was more representational than anything else.

Also, thinking to hard about Gurren Lagann. Do not do this.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DTM, a story does not need to slavishly follow reality to be good. It needs to follow the ground rules it set for its own universe, something TTGL does quite well.

Get some Willing Suspension of Disbelief, goddamn.

Quote:
I always figured that that sequence was more representational than anything else.

Nah, it really happened. The director actually gave a canon size for the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, it was like 1.8 times the size of the observable universe or something.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Nah, it really happened. The director actually gave a canon size for the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, it was like 1.8 times the size of the observable universe or something.

i am just beginning to realize that i may have comitted a terrible mistake. this sounds f***ing awesom!!!

screw logic. if one of your basic working premises is to shoot logic and realism in the face with a shotgun, you don't need stuff like that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The Super TTGL only shows up in the movies, though. But the TV series still is awesome, you'll have many moments where you don't whether to cry from sadness or pump your fist in the air from awesome.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
DTM, a story does not need to slavishly follow reality to be good. It needs to follow the ground rules it set for its own universe, something TTGL does quite well.

Get some Willing Suspension of Disbelief, goddamn.

All the Willing Suspension of Disbelief in the universe won't work. It's like the show not only refuses to even try to meet me anywhere near halfway, but in fact it has run off in the opposite direction leaving me to stand there looking puzzled and wondering where it thinks it's going.

In plainer English, I shouldn't have to do all the work in trying to ignore the problems of a story so unrealistic so as to be off-putting.

And yes, I can handle a bad scene if it is unintentionally hilarious, but not when it is supposed to be awesome.

"This is how dinosaurs became extinct, okay. This is the Japanese explanation."

Now that video is really funny even though (or probably because) it is utterly stupid. It helps that he didn't literally hit a galaxy.

Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Well ain't that just moronic.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, thinking to hard about Gurren Lagann. Do not do this.

Too late, already have a headache.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Whatever man, I'm too bust enjoying the best anime to ever exist.

hatersgonnahate.jpg
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The Super TTGL only shows up in the movies, though. But the TV series still is awesome, you'll have many moments where you don't whether to cry from sadness or pump your fist in the air from awesome.

i have gained the ability to do both similarly through intense kung fu training and meditation to fist of the north star.

besides, i damn well love fotns and it is more unlogical than a fish playing beethoven on a hammond organ.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
All the Willing Suspension of Disbelief in the universe won't work. It's like the show not only refuses to even try to meet me anywhere near halfway, but in fact it has run off in the opposite direction leaving me to stand there looking puzzled and where it thinks it's going.

In plainer English, I shouldn't have to do all the work in trying to ignore the problems of a story so unrealistic so as to be off-putting.

That is all you dtm. A ton of quite intelligent people acknowledge those problems and don't care much, because the show tends to sweep you away with its energy. It's fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15