• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
acejem wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but are there any horror anime this season?

Not that I know of. The last decent one I saw was Another in Winter 2012. It's not a common genre. Sad

avoid as much of the first 5 episodes as you can they are horrible. it tries to be higurashi but forgets that you can't always be 100% something bad is happening, and that after awhile things get really annoying

Thanks, but I already watched it. Smile I've got some horror in my backlog to watch, but for some reason I like watching it simulcasted more.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
In any case Binbogami-ga and Aesthetica are scheduled for tomorrow and Monday respectively:

http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/binbogami-ga-and-aesthetica-of-a-rogue-hero-simulcasts-to-start-on-funimationcom/4242701

A one week delay isn't terrible...better than waiting a few weeks like last season with some of the Funi "simulcasts."

Of course, watching Aesthetica on Funi is going to be worthless since it's most likely to be censored (unless they somehow offer 720p resolution+uncensored to paying members....hahaha).
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
They also give little to no advertisement so most people likely don't even know they are doing it. Like as someone who follows anime news as much as I do, I didn't even know Sankarea was simulcast this season until I saw someone talking about it in one of the Stream comments. How are people supposed to use legal avenues if they don't even let people know they are streaming it?

This, too, has been a gripe of mine about their service. I hope all of these points are regularly being brought up when Funi does panels at 'cons.

About that, they could advertise their new streaming selection for a couple of days after new season begins, specially during the beginning of ANN's Preview Guide. But for it to work properly, they'd need proper simulcasts.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I understand it might be a little bit too much to ask Funimation to give me everything I want for free... but what about their paid service? Having true 720p streams up within a day of airing should be the minimum for people that pay, and then give their normal 360p stream a week after for free. Even then, it would come out sooner then they have them out now.

It seems after Funico failed, they've just half assed the whole streaming thing.. at least with Funico, it was up fast and occasionally with 720p (Guilty Crown).

The last Funimation stream I wasn't horrible with being on time, that was Milky Holmes season 2 - of course, that was before Funico dissolved, and I ended up watching on Nico anyway... so, I guess what I'm saying is idk?
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Once Funimation comes out with their Roku app later this summer, I might give their elite subscription a try. Until then, I will just watch on-line. I'm glad they are at least doing near-casts this season instead of the debacle of last season. (I still haven't watched all of one of the shows I was going to watch that they had or any of the others, since I was already busy with other shows by the time they were available. I will have to catch up sometime... Sometime, when is that anyway?)
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
5 - Number of reviewers who wrote about Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi
4 - Number who referred to the Chihayafuru anime in their writeup
0 - Number who made note of the first poem coincidentally? used in the series (#17)
1 - Sad tanuki Sad
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
1 - Sad tanuki Sad

I also noticed it. And I did wonder if that particular poem was used first in order to lure in those people who liked Chihayafuru. Of course that show did poorly sales-wise, but the Manga is popular and you would think that many fans would at least have heard about it.

Oh, and I did a comparison between the two shows. They do share a number of staff, mostly animators (including the animation director) and animation companies but also Chitose's (Chihaya's sister) Seiyuu Aya Endo.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
As someone with very limited japanese who rarely likes the "cute girls doing cute things" genre, I was sure Joshiraku was going to be a one-episode show for me.

But I found it surprisingly funny and watchable. Whether it can maintain that for long is the real question.

Having watched about half of them, my picks of the new shows for the season are:

- Sword Art Online (damn it's beautiful) although I'd have thought after a month they would have made some headway in analysing and bypassing the equipment from those who didn't make it ...

- Binbougami ga! is totally stupid and ridiculous, but doesn't give your brain time to realise it ...

- Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita is wierd, but probably in a good way.

Should finish watching the first 1-2 episodes of the rest of the shows tomorrow.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Not like Sword Art Online is based on an existing series of novels or anything...

I read some of the novel... it has some pretty hardcore sex in there.

How hardcore? This hardcore?

My sister was googling to find out about reports of Fifty Shades of Grey being banned in the states, and she found this... we both lol'ed.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Binbogami ga! - A victim of Funimation's lack of comprehension of what "simulcasting" means. (Too bad, because it's a very fun-looking series that I do recommend.)

I also really enjoyed it as well. The only thing that felt original about it was the concept/plot with a god of poverty. The jokes were pretty much stuff we've all seen before, but they work. I found myself laughing a lot.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'm not changing the rule.

Short and to the point.
Well, situation isn't ideal, but hopefully in the future Funimation simulcasts will start running at more reasonable times. Until then, at least we have things like The Stream.

Yes, the Stream is definitely one of my favorite things to read on this site. I do hope Binbogami ga! gets picked up there.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Key wrote:

Binbogami ga! - A victim of Funimation's lack of comprehension of what "simulcasting" means. (Too bad, because it's a very fun-looking series that I do recommend.)

I also really enjoyed it as well. The only thing that felt original about it was the concept/plot with a god of poverty.

Yeah, I don't think that we see them too often in anime. I think that I'm remembering one (or something very similar) in Kamichu! spoiler[that had took up residence in Yurie's cat after saving it from drowning. She had to keep nullifying it's ?aura? of poverty to keep her town from economically collapsing]. I don't recall any others at the moment...
Yupa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
Actually there was an anime last year about a god of poverty, though I can't remember the name since I only watched two episodes of it.

Binbougami ga is much better.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Yupa wrote:
Actually there was an anime last year about a god of poverty, though I can't remember the name since I only watched two episodes of it.

You're probably thinking of Cat God. I thought it was enjoyable enough, and fairly harmless to boot.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
OK - continuing on ...

Muv-luv Alternative - Total Eclipse. This has the potential to be one of the biggest shows this season. It's a rare show that spoiler[builds up a full cast - with them featured in opening credits - then kills all bar one cast member]. I'm eager to see where it goes from here (I'm a little upset though that spoiler[Yui didn't end up a catatonic wreck]).

Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari were both pleasant surprises. I'm particularly interested to see where Tari Tari goes - my suspicion is that Sakai is the main character.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou is refreshing in that it's a slightly more serious take on "what if many/most/all of the civil war warlords were girls". It's definitely had the best start of any of this genre in the last few seasons.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Utakoi have their appeal, but also feel somewhat flat. I suspect the appeal may wear off fairly quickly.

Familia Arcana lasted 5 minutes before being dropped.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
Yupa wrote:

As noted above, you're probably thinking of Nekogami Yaoyorozu (Cat God) which features a god of poverty as a minor character. It was a fairly enjoyable, but ultimately forgettable show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 60 of 62