• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Over 20 Police Cars & Chopper Dispatched to Arrest Alleged Manga Thieves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Just great. We ended up with something right out of Kousuke Fujishima's Taiho Shichauzo (You're Under Arrest) manga/anime series....
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well if your going to steal manga just take one a week for years not 98 at once
LupinTheFourth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Footage of the chase has been uncovered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMagP52BWG8
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
20 police cars and a helicopter? Don't want to sound insensitive, but it seems like these police officers really wanted something to do.

I think I would be excited too if I was a police officer and there wasn't much crime around. I would be glad to live in a relatively peaceful area, but I would also want to prove how good of a cop I am.

You just described Hot Fuzz.
AFatHouseCat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to know if there was a weapon used in the holdup. If there was, that's your reason for the over the top reaction. Even possessing an illegal weapon in Japan is a big offense, let alone brandishing one in a robbery.
zr2008

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't it cost several thousand dollars an hour to keep a chopper in the air? Put the manga down and put your hands in the air. *points a gun at the manga* step back coppers or the manga gets it
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After about 40 minutes, the suspects were forced to stop in Sendai's Miyagino district near the Sendai Bay due to a punctured tire.

One might propose that their defence… fell flat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If they didn't try to flee in a car at high speeds ignoring traffic signals and endangering lives I'm thinking the helicopter would not have been dispatched. Also, I can't speak for Japanese police helicopter protocol but state side most cities have at least one po po copter in the air already as part of a regular patrol to be scrambled if/when needed. So, I highly doubt the chopper went airborne specifically for manga theft. I'm just sayin'
cche7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Probably sitting in their jail cell, wondering if it was it really worth it to steal manga?!?
isoge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
So.... in order to save $700 worth of goods, they risked the lives of people (had there been a traffic incident) chasing after the thieves with that huge police force? Anyone knows the cost for the police force?
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
isoge wrote:
Anyone knows the cost for the police force?

My guess would be the normal days operating budget. So many on-duty officers were already present and called to a concentrated area for assistance.

It's not a misuse of money, it's a misuse of already allocated resources.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought that a police chief with a sense of humor sent 20 cop cars and a Chopper cosplayer to mess with someone who was stealing some One Piece manga. Laughing

zr2008 wrote:
Doesn't it cost several thousand dollars an hour to keep a chopper in the air? Put the manga down and put your hands in the air. *points a gun at the manga* step back coppers or the manga gets it

I don't know about Japan, but in the US at least, a helicopter/its pilots need to log so many hours a week or something to keep their license current, so they frequently just fly around just to fly. If they're already up there, why not put it to good use?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The helicopter might well have already been in the air and so why not deploy it, but I'm less sure that the twenty police cars can be justified. They might not have had much to do, but I can't resist wondering if their actions cost more and exacerbated the danger of the situation more than could possibly have been justified.

I wonder if the police knew of the sheer pettiness of the crime when they committed so many resources to it. Maybe such situations are so novel that the police got too excited and overreacted as a way to get to do cool shit that they normally only see in American films. Otherwise it's like the Japanese are trying to develop their own equivalent to our ludicrous, destructive 'war on drugs', except with manga theft,

LupinTheFourth wrote:

I wonder if the thieves hate Miyagi Nazis.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
After about 40 minutes, the suspects were forced to stop in Sendai's Miyagino district near the Sendai Bay due to a punctured tire.

One might propose that their defence… fell flat.

Hey, didn't your show get cancelled?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
LupinTheFourth wrote:

They're on a mission.......... from Megami-sama!

Police usually cut off from high-speed chases when it may endanger the public or if the stolen loot doesn't necessarily need to be recovered ASAP, preferring instead to arrest the perps later (e.g. using the car license plate or surveillance to ID the suspects).
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
When I read the title, I though they sent Chopper from One Piece out after them... lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4