• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Aims for 40,000 Subscribers in 3 Years, Joins AJA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
I've said it before, but I find it ironic that CR is more reliable with its payments than the jerks who wrecked the economy. Laughing
halo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has done next to nothing to address a lot of problems with their service. The video quality of the TV Tokyo shows is awful, their servers often times can't keep up even in non-peak hours, their video player is often broke and doesn't work properly, there is frequent mojibake (garbage characters) in their subtitles along with very bad spelling/grammer and other subtitle mistakes, etc.

I applaud them for having a great idea but they have totally failed on just about every mark when it comes to actually delivering the goods and unless they get their act together I don't see them getting 10,000 subscribers. I'm so far completely dissappointed with my purchase of a one year membership and will not renew if improvements aren't made soon.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
Honestly with just what they have on Naruto, they can hit that 10k number in due time no problem.

When they get around to fix the other shows, hopefully the # of whiners will decrease. But until then keep on whining!
halo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Honestly with just what they have on Naruto, they can hit that 10k number in due time no problem.

When they get around to fix the other shows, hopefully the # of whiners will decrease. But until then keep on whining!

People watching for free == whining
Paying customers == complaining
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Did they fix the rip-off pricing for 420p videos? Did they fix the rip-off pricing in general? For as few shows they have (despite how awesome skip beat is) the pricing is way too high

LOL, $5 a month for like 7 shows all having a new episode each week is too much? What would be a "fair" price in your opinion? $1 a month? Do you hate anime that much where you value an episode at like 10 cents max?
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
KendoGirl wrote:
Good luck with that! xD If I can't access their site to view like 95% of the time I'll never subscribe Mad I wish there was more consideration for fans outside of the US and Canada =\

Consideration? Confused
It isn't like the blokes at the Crunchyroll office are sitting there saying
"Shall we extend our coverage to an international audience...?"
"Hrmmm..."
"Nah, I can't be arsed. Sod them foreign gits."

It's an issue of whether or not they have the rights to do so. And they don't. (Not that that stopped them in the past...)
Hopefully it's just that they don't yet. Otherwise us foreign gits are going to have to miss out.

Last edited by _Earthwyrm_ on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Did they fix the rip-off pricing for 420p videos? Did they fix the rip-off pricing in general? For as few shows they have (despite how awesome skip beat is) the pricing is way too high

LOL, $5 a month for like 7 shows all having a new episode each week is too much? What would be a "fair" price in your opinion? $1 a month? Do you hate anime that much where you value an episode at like 10 cents max?
Many of them can't help. They place no value on the artform when people provide it for free.

When CR fixes the region issues, this will take off for them.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
One supposes this means that either they're planning to improve their service over the next few years, or that they expect Naruto fans to make up a large amount of their predicted numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
One supposes this means that either they're planning to improve their service over the next few years, or that they expect Naruto fans to make up a large amount of their predicted numbers.
I'm expecting both. If they advertise other shounen shows on the Naruto page, then people will pay for more anime.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I wonder how much money does it cost to join something like that. Why haven't the other R1 distributors joined (besides Bandai Ent. who already has Bandai Channel, Bandai Visual and Sunrise already there)?

actually they have. ADV and Media Blasters both have shows on Crunchyroll. So other than funimation and bandai (which has its own competing service) they're all there in some way.

I wasn't referring to CR. I was referring to AJA. It seems like an org that the R1 distributors should join.
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of people who says that Crunchyroll should allow people other than Americans to watch anime on the site. Is it viable for Crunchyroll to show anime in countries that don't have an anime company to sell people anime dvds? Countries in Asia that have anime companies probably don't like Crunchyroll to begin and see Crunchyroll as their competitor.

Last edited by sdhd on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
There are a lot of people who says that Crunchyroll should allow people other than Americans to watch anime on the site. Is it viable for Crunchyroll to show anime in countries that don't have an anime company to sell people anime dvds?

Yes. If people can watch it on a computer or have access to an iPod or PSP, then they can pay for downloads. It's not CR's fault that they don't have rights for certain titles outside of an area.

If CR gets One Piece and Bleach, then they will meet their goals. Laughing
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Even I can't buy songs from the Japanese iTunes site since I don't live in Japan. Unless there is a mini version of Crunchyroll like iTunes in countries around the world then it would be okay for those people to download anime for a fee on Crunchyroll.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
since when did Sunrise join CR? I haven't seen any of their anime yet....
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Good on them, especially once they get their issues fixed. I loathe streaming anime, because it's never anywhere near the quality you can get via downloading (or, of course, on DVD), but any funds helping the industry is a-okay by me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4