• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: France's Japan Expo to Host California Con in Late Summer 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the industry guys aren't going for it so far isn't a good sign. If I lived out in Cali I wouldn't attend all the cons and I don't think many can afford to.
soulfringe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
The fact that the industry guys aren't going for it so far isn't a good sign. If I lived out in Cali I wouldn't attend all the cons and I don't think many can afford to.

What industry guys? I think one guy said he was industry, and It sounded more like an "oh man. another summer con? #overworked"

Anyways Hellbunny, don't confuse my speculation as a "you guys should have it at this place because I'm smarter than you". My speculation was merely speculation to deduce the possible locations you guys have planned.

So assuming it will be in NorCal, count on me being in your dealers hall spending whatever amount of money I've managed to recuperate from AX.

By the way, have you guys thought about a premium badge, akin to the likes of Anime Expos premier fan? ( I ask, because I just can't do a big GOH con without those now. I've been too spoiled!lol)
SEFA-Hellbuny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
soulfringe wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

What industry guys? I think one guy said he was industry, and It sounded more like an "oh man. another summer con? #overworked"

Overworked is the best problem to have. It's underworked that should scare everyone Anime smile

Quote:
Anyways Hellbunny, don't confuse my speculation as a "you guys should have it at this place because I'm smarter than you". My speculation was merely speculation to deduce the possible locations you guys have planned.

So assuming it will be in NorCal, count on me being in your dealers hall spending whatever amount of money I've managed to recuperate from AX

*chuckle* We're trying to be as candid as possible with it. Please don't take my response as anything but that. And my response is actually more in response to Jariten's comments.

We're trying to let people know a general timeframe and location to get their minds thinking about it. This is also the shake down period where we make sure we didn't miss anything in our planning. If we are too specific, we could easily get in trouble.

Quote:
By the way, have you guys thought about a premium badge, akin to the likes of Anime Expos premier fan? ( I ask, because I just can't do a big GOH con without those now. I've been too spoiled!lol)

I'd say take a look at how we do badging in France as an indicator of the system we'll be basing off of. We're virtually certain to do some premium tickets like we do in France. Our website is dual language english/french, so it really is a good place to get an idea of how we work. We'll also have our event page up shortly Smile
SEFA-Hellbuny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:

If I'm to go by all of the industry response that I've had, I'm sure to be coming to California Wink
mannyperson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Man, so many downers here! Another con in general is awesome news (esp for someone who lives near the site Very Happy)! I mean, if you can't go, you can't go, but if you can, you can. It can only mean more good news for all in the end, especially the industry.

I'm really excited, and I *hope* they go for northern CA, since southern gets both Comic Con and AX. My flight got really jacked up this past weekend from AX Anime cry
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
I think having early or late summer, but during summer vacation for students, to spread it apart from the other cons would be nice. If it's mid to late summer (end of July or August), then Northern CA in the Bay Area would be much cooler, which would be better for outdoor events.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
I guess my question to Sean is, why? Why the US? What would SEFA gain by expansion to the US? I think this is such an audacious move, and one I know isn't made lightly, but what would JE be able to provide an American audience sufficiently stocked (some might say overstocked) with conventions? What can JE see in the American market that it can fill a need?

Unlike most of the readers here I have been to a Japan Expo (Japan Expo Sud last year) and it is a very well run enterprise. Some of the exoticism that attracted me (not to me going to the con, BTW, I was holidaying in France and a friend alerted me to the dates, so I decided to have a look) was the local colour. French stalls, French goods, made by and for French fans. Bring the con to the US though, and my opinion is that you lose that French exoticism, and it will be like any other American con.

However, I do know that your contacts in Japan are able to bring across great guests, as evidenced by past JE's, and I would expect that you would bring that to bear when organising that first con. This is what I think is the best weapon in your arsenal.

Please don't think I am trying to be negatively sceptical. Like I said earlier, I figure you have covered those angles already. But this announcement does bring up the questions I've just asked, so I figure that if you are available to answer them, I may as well ask them.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
math4origami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
One piece of advice to whoever is planning the con, please do NOT make it the same time as SF Jpop Festival. The audience overlap is significant, especially since they started inviting vocaloid guests. It is usually late August/early September.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
have you guys decided on the art work for the con? or are you going to get french artists? I know japan expo really loves Aurora Black cat's art work.

will it be open submission like some cons?
If you're still considering, I'd like to throw my name into the pile.
google my user name for my art, Cetriya

also, why not spring? its practically summer all year round. Granted though, I'm in Orlando, florida and we have plenty of space for a large con (place is built for 100s thousands of people to visit). And the cost of hotel would be much cheaper too.
midnightsiren182

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Weather is actually surprisingly not the largest factor when picking convention dates.

Factors that go into such decisions are: what else is going on in a specific month convention-wise, what is going on in Japan/Asia, what potential venues have for rates/availability, etc.

Cetriya, do you mean the building MegaCon is in?
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
midnightsiren182 wrote:
Weather is actually surprisingly not the largest factor when picking convention dates.

Factors that go into such decisions are: what else is going on in a specific month convention-wise, what is going on in Japan/Asia, what potential venues have for rates/availability, etc.

Cetriya, do you mean the building MegaCon is in?

oh I was thinking more of a visitors point of view, I just feel better on a sunny cool day and spring seems good for that.

yeah, the orlando con center, its 4 wings though I have absolutely no idea about rates and dates. I just figure orlando would be a good spot since the city was built to take large influx of people and its near a lot of cheap places to eat.
midnightsiren182

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Orlando is a tourist destination, no doubt about that. I have relatives that live a few hours outside of it.
But being able to handle a lot of people and having cheap food around kinda describes most cities like Baltimore, Boston, etc.

Also, despite popular belief, California is not desert hot all year round. I live in the Bay Area and for the most part, it's sunny and 70s. It does get to high 80s in summer, but it's not humid.

Having grown up in CT omggggg I do NOT miss summer humidity.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
spring comment was ment for Cali, I've only driven through and I don't mind the heat (83' with some breeze is perfect for me).

I just wished a great con like Japan expo would be closer to me and be in a town that doesn't cost an arm and leg to stay in a hotel =) (that is still a decent hotel and not in shady places). I know you can walk safely at night in central orlando where the con is, but you can't in boston, baltimore, atlanta and other cities (from what others say).
Makaru-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Since Wondercon and Yaoi-con are gone, albeit temporarily, from the San Francisco Bay Area, all that remains (not counting cons outside of the Bay Area) are AODcon in J-town, Fanime, JPop Summit, the upcomming Mai-con in 2013, and countless small fan-cons. Fanime can't satisfy us completely, and many people like me just don't like the long roadtrip down to SoCal (Thanks to traffic, I missed the Miku concert last year... smh). Japan Expo in San Francisco would be very awesome (though having it in Sacramanto would be okay, too...) and it would balance cons b/w the north and sounth... The south has too much already... including numerous non-anime conventions...

naniwhale wrote:
I think they should buy out AX this is a much better after looking at there line ups.

Buy out AX? Have you gone mad?
mimipon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's a good idea to bring Japan Expo to America since there are many anime conventions in there and it is obvious that Japan Expo would be nothing but another form of Anime convention.

Latest years, Japan Expo in France has became sometning that getting Japanese otakus' nerves and been a big issue among tham so I don't want them to bash Japan Expo anymore. If they hear the news they won't be happy with it and many of them would just disagree with it.

I'm totally happy with seeing Anime Expo in California where anime fans gather together enjoy anime,manga and cosplay. So I don't think we need another convention which might cause a conflict with Japanese otakus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3