• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blockbuster Hires Advisors, US Virgin Megastores to Close

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the whole first paragraph darkly hysterical? "We're hiring bankruptcy experts to advise us but we're really not going to declare bankruptcy!" Yeah, so you hired people who are experts in one field to advise you in one that they aren't experts in? Rolling Eyes

While it could be an innocent issue of being in bad enough straights that operating as if in bankruptcy could prove benefitial, from a management perspective. However, I think it is more an issue of having to read between the lines: They are not planning on filing for bankruptcy. Now, whether they think their creditors are close enough to forcing them into it that some planning is in order ... that's a whole different story.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I think blockbuster screwed themselves over. I used to be a loyal patron of theirs but then they jacked up the prices, plus there was that whole no late fees debacle. Oh yeah, it made for a lovely marketing campaign. At least until nothing was ever in stock because everyone meant to return their movies but then didn't feel like it so they put it off. They realized their mistake of course but instead of just having late fees again we get some stupidly convoluted system so now when I rent a movie I can't even get a straight answer on when the hell I need to bring it back by.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm slightly saddened being the occasional renter. Rather not shell out $20 for a DVD before seeing it before hand. And I don't want to pay $8 a month if I rent once in a blue moon.

The only Virgin is down in the city. I went there once, saw more hentai than actual anime.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
plastique wrote:

I think all physical releases will stop in the next couple years. Everything will be streamed.

I hope not. I hate having high-def movies taking up gigabytes of space on my hard drive. Having everything stored digitally is just asking for a virus or hardware failure to annihilate it all. Streaming isn't much better because it relies on an internet connection and you never know when it'll go down without warning. I will always prefer to have a hard copy sitting on my shelf to having bits of data of the same thing.

Re: Blockbuster

I must say, that's kind of a shock. I haven't rented from there in ages because their selection has always been terrible, but it's a good alternative to have when you need to rent a movie immediately and can't wait three days for a Netflix delivery. Sign of the times, I suppose.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Same here.It would be a serious mess if that happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3