• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass R2, Naruto Go on Hiatus on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
jedimaster5000 wrote:

And seriously whats w/ them and 6teen (and not to mention that damn TDI)? They already have those coming out dozens of times in a single week. Just 2 weeks of CN filled w/ only new Naruto episodes and it will be finished. Do that then go on hiatus

jedimaster (of LI maybe?), Total Drama Island was a surprise hit for them. For the longest time, none of the American networks would even touch those Canadian shows, save for 6teen's very brief stint on Nick years ago. When TDI caught on at CN (what is it with CN where cast-off shows get their necromancy), they then brought in 6teen from the same creators.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I stopped watching dubbed Naruto after episode 135. I'm still waiting for Shippuden to start here (I watch it subbed).

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw an episode of Shippuden on ANN video the other day. But that could have been a trailer or something of that nature.

IIRC, Viz is streaming Shippuden eps on its website as well as other sites like Crunchyroll.

doctordoom85 wrote:
In terms of the Code Geass dub debate. here's a crazy idea: for those who don't like the dub, but have signed up for Nielsen ratings (or however it works), why not just have it on the channel and mute it while you do something else? I know, it's an INSANE idea, but it just might work! Wink

Seriously, when my family was signed up for the week, I turned on CN when the Naruto fillers were on and muted it and went to do something else (normally I would've watched as I think the Naruto dub is underrated, but I hate the filler-thon of Part 1). Cheating? Well, whatever gets the job done. Smile

Heck, when I got selected for Arbitron (radio's Nielsen ratings), I put in radio stations that I'm too far away to even receive! Laughing

Kiyomaro wrote:
Quote:

Actually, CN skews a bit younger, but #3 is actually not bad as long as one is still making gobs of money.
Besides, each of them have carved their own niche. Nick has cornered the toddler crowd (although CN is trying to go there too); CN has got the boys 9-14 market (although Disney is trying to go there too); Disney has the girls teen market (although Nick is trying to go there too). That's just what advertisers want: a place that's a leader on specific targets, not do well on all demographics.

What's wrong with doing well on all demographics?

Most ad sponsors target specific demographics, not all demos.

Ex: A channel rates 80% on all demos and thus has the most total viewership. Another channel only rates 10% on all but a specific demographic where it leads at a whopping 95%. If that specific demo is an ad sponsor's target, guess which channel will get their money?

Being "jack of all trades but a master of none" doesn't do a channel much good. Ad sponsors prefer to go to the masters of their target demographics.

bayoab wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
then, they should allow people to select Japanese/w sub on TV. I remember, when i went to Hong Kong couple years ago, they have Jdrama on TV, you have the option for Cantonese or Japanese. And English movie, you can select either English or Cantonese.

That utilizes some variation of the secondary audio program technology. It isn't a separate video stream. You can then shove dubtitles in the CC stream but then everyone will bitch they are dubtitles and CCs block a large portion of the screen. Then again, only a tiny fraction of the people actually want to watch it subbed and the rest just complain because they can.

CN's broadcast station doesn't even have the capacity to do multi-language like SAP, believe it or not. I'm not sure they'd even invest the resources, since their viewership aren't of multilingual persuasion, unlike say broadcasting in the middle of Europe.

jr0904 wrote:

Also originally 52 epsiodes of bleach was dubbed so they'll obiviously will be lagging on new dubs for that as well.

That too, CN tends to pick up in 52 ep chunks, regardless where the plot hangs. So, shows usually go in hiatus at ep #52, #104, #156, #208, etc.
freezespell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
For a while I had considered making a thread on here discussing the future of Naruto in the U.S., but since this thread popped up, I'll just post what I have to say here. What I was going to ask was what Viz is going to call Naruto Shippuden in the U.S. when or if it hits the airwaves? According to Wikipedia, the title translates to Naruto Hurricane Chronicles but if they were to go for a loose translation for the second series, personally, I would call it The Chronicles of Naruto Uzumaki, because it would be a real boneheaded move to leave the title untranslated since the franchise is such a mainstream success in the U.S. And besides, Shippuden would be too confusing to spell and pronounce for the average viewer, but that's just my two cents.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
You think between Viz practaily being left out to die by CN that they need to worry about that?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
I tend to think it's a dubbing issue. After all, we've already been through that with Bleach on [as] once or twice before now.

And they actually do have a premiere date listed for new Code Geass. We've already seen through 40, and 41 is scheduled to air on May2. Have a look-see: http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/onair.html.

EDIT: I also don't think anyone's noticed it looks like they are going to start airing back-to-back Bleach premieres in a while (see the (p)s in the schedule and the footnote). Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if this and the listing for 41 are a mistake/oversight on the part of the schedule-maker.

Well that's a relief. Hopefully this will prove that anime on TV ain't dead yet. Also i kinda find the back to back epsiodes of bleach is a good idea. So if people miss the new epsiode. They can rewatch it over again so people won't have to go to illegal streaming website to watch the dub epsiode they missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're just trying to make a seamless transition to Code Geass Season 3.

One can always hope!

Or not.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I stopped watching dubbed Naruto after episode 135. I'm still waiting for Shippuden to start here (I watch it subbed).

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw an episode of Shippuden on ANN video the other day. But that could have been a trailer or something of that nature.

It's subbed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

It's subbed.

So that means there's no dub version of shippuden even though there's an english cast aleady? what's up with that?? I just hope the're not going to do with naruto what they did to Zoids:Fuzors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

It's subbed.

So that means there's no dub version of shippuden even though there's an english cast aleady? what's up with that?? I just hope the're not going to do with naruto what they did to Zoids:Fuzors.

Its been a very long time since I heard about Zoids. What happened again? As for Shippuden, if there is a English cast, there will probably be a English audio dubbed version.
Ninja Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That too, CN tends to pick up in 52 ep chunks, regardless where the plot hangs. So, shows usually go in hiatus at ep #52, #104, #156, #208, etc.

Well jeeze that explains it! The last Naruto episode that played (and was new) was episode 208! So I guess we just have to wait until they get the rest of the 52 episodes -_-'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7