• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga About Victim of Korean Kidnapping

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyyu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes, but the severity and type of deaths under the Japanese is what makes that situation more appalling than those under Mao. That's not to say that he can be excused any more than Hirohito, but the people the Japanese killed were treated like animals

I don't deny the Japanese sometimes treated their victims like animals (such as the Rape of Nanjing). But, many countries throughout history, when they find themselves in a superior position dominating the "enemy", have often done cruel and unusual acts. I mean, this is explained more in psychology. For example, the Americans did similar acts towards the Philippines in the Philippine-American War, in some ways acting remarkably similar to the way the Japanese acted.

Quote:
I don't think, as crazy as Marcos was, that his family came close to the brutality of the Japanese.
See first comment.

Quote:
Not exactly, since not all of those wars were about wiping certain groups off the face of the earth. But even if they were all about ethnic cleansing, the international community at large
(theoretically) has higher standards then it did back then.

Well, even using today's "higher" standards (if purposely killing, raping, and torturing people is not considered "high" enough, even though it was remarkably common throughout history), some of the stuff the Mongols did still could be considered Genocide.

gatsu wrote:
heyyu wrote:
If corporations do that, then yeah, they're accountable. But to be honest, I can't really think of any corporation that engages in direct genocide. Can you?No seriously, I'm curious to know.

Mercedes, Random House, and Halliburton.

Hmm, interesting, I'll need some more elaboration on what you mean. I want to see the evils of Random House Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Perhaps, but Americans (theoretically) didn't build satellites to kill people.

It was not just satellites, Nazi scientists were instrumental in building weapons and tanks and other weapons of war for the Americans.

Quote:
I'm in the "worthless major" club too, seeing as I majored in Political Science.

Yes, unfortunately, we both made pitiful mistakes. And now we find ourselves arguing about some frickin' topic that happened 50 years ago on an anime internet message board on Christmas Day. *sigh*

Sometimes you wonder, how the hell did it come to this? Razz
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I've long since lost track of what it is we're arguing about. Suffice it to say that a lot of s**t happened in the past and it is not our place to decide who's actions were more heinous than others.

heyyu wrote:

Look, I've been on enough internet forums to know how these debates turn out. One guy argues, the other person argues back, no one agrees on anything, we pick apart minute little details to criticize, and on and on it goes.

And the quote feature gets used alot.

heyyu wrote:

If you hate anime because of Japan, fine (although, I think that's a stupid reason to hate anime).

Considring this is the Anime News Network I don't think anyone here falls into that category. Very Happy
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, the thread degenerated into the Rape of Nanking?

Brillant Folks, Brillant. GET BACK TO COLLEGE AND DISCUSS IT THERE!!
drowz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I don't know the equivalent English idiom, but you are 班門弄斧. Ranmah is Korean.

That's because there is no equivalent English idiom. To put it into another context, it would be like attacking Taiwan on it's independence idea by using the phrase, "Those Chinese <add any appropriate insult>". Sure, technically that is correct, but because Chinese also refers to the people of the PRC, you'd atleast want to use a more specific reference...or even better; no insults at all.

Sorry for the OT, but I actually hear phrases on the same level of ignorance in society, and seeing it used in a "sensitive" discussion is surprising, at the very least I want to help clarify the difference if I can. BTW, the possibility that the person who used the quote originally was Korean did cross my mind, but logically it still did not make sense. I asked a Korean friend about it to make sure though (due to my lack of "skill"), and sure enough, the answer was that it was insulting. More so because of the fact that they are refering to the North as "Choson" Rolling Eyes.

/rant
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
drowz wrote:
That's because there is no equivalent English idiom. To put it into another context, it would be like attacking Taiwan on it's independence idea by using the phrase, "Those Chinese <add any appropriate insult>". Sure, technically that is correct, but because Chinese also refers to the people of the PRC, you'd atleast want to use a more specific reference...or even better; no insults at all.

Wow, thanks for the precious lesson.

You totally missed my point. I suggest you'd better check others' old posts before starting teaching. 班門弄斧 for you. Again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The best part is that I already posted what it means, like, a page ago, but no one appears to have noticed. Yow.
drowz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Wow, thanks for the precious lesson.

You totally missed my point. I suggest you'd better check others' old posts before starting teaching. 班門弄斧 for you. Again.

I don't believe I have missed your point, but if I have, why don't you explain instead of reposting phrases in Chinese?

Twage: No worries, I've noticed. The others probably haven't because dormcat's post was direct towards me, not them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3