• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Pirate Anime to Start Simulcast on May 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
sena_h_dei wrote:
Just one more reason to hate my dial-up. Someone, for the love over everything that's holy, bring SOME sort of hight speed out my way! I'm begging here!

I understand your pain, and the helplessness you must feel before your cable and/or phone provider.

Keep hounding them, though.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Okay, I've been on other streaming sites and you don't normally pause. It's called "FUNi needs more servers.". Laughing
Well, they did need to confirm that anime fans would actually watch their video service before blowing everything of top-of-the-line servers. Assuming that they are getting good numbers all-around, not just the epic numbers I'm sure FMA is bringing in by reasonably good ones for other, older shows, we should see regular upgrades to the system. Isn't it technically sill in Beta form?

Not disputing that they need to improve the rate of loading just saying, it wasn't a guaranteed thing that anyone would even use the service so they likely didn't spend as much as they now realize they needed to.

I've been saying for a while that Toei needed to make this move and I'm very pleased to see it happening. One Piece deserves all the support it can get to overcome the bad image many people got of it thanks to the very bad decision making on both 4Kids and Toei's part that led to what is often referred to as "Pun Piece." (I don't blame most of the voice actors, they were told to suck and some did what they were told. Seriously, listen to Karen Neill as Vivi in the 4Kids dub then listen to her as Sayoko Mishima in Ah! My Goddess. The difference is so radical, her sucking so bad in the 4Kids dub HAD to be the fault of management.)

Anyway, this is awesome news. I know everyone outside the license zone is now going "crap" but it's not like you don't have options both legal and illegal. Keep the faith.
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Free subs one hour after the episode premieres? Take THAT "one-week-later free", Naruto subs.

Haha but seriously this is rad. Very very rad.

Actually, I can't help but reflect right now that even though the year isn't over yet that 2009 has been making some pretty amazing strides as far as being able to watch anime for free and in LEGAL ways at that.

The only bitching I really have (though by complaining about this sort of thing I feel like someone who got a chocolate chip cookie and is complaining because it doesn't have "enough" chocolate chips in it) is Funimation needs to spend some (more) money on getting more servers or whatever they need for their streams to run a little more smoothly and such.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Okay, I've been on other streaming sites and you don't normally pause. It's called "FUNi needs more servers.". Laughing
Well, they did need to confirm that anime fans would actually watch their video service before blowing everything of top-of-the-line servers. Assuming that they are getting good numbers all-around, not just the epic numbers I'm sure FMA is bringing in by reasonably good ones for other, older shows, we should see regular upgrades to the system. Isn't it technically sill in Beta form?

Not disputing that they need to improve the rate of loading just saying, it wasn't a guaranteed thing that anyone would even use the service so they likely didn't spend as much as they now realize they needed to.

Actually right now they're wasting money compared to other streaming sites. The problem isn't so much the speed of their servers, as the sheer bloated size of the video they are delivering (which in turn will be costing them in bandwith and server space).

The flv file of the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood weighed in at over 200MB compared to the first episode of Ristorante Paradiso over on Crunchyroll which came in at a svelte 51.7MB mp4 file. They are the same episode length, so clearly Funimation are doing something wrong here.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm almost as excited as I was when FUNimation first announced that they got the rights to One Piece! Very Happy

It was seriously JUST last night that I was thinking of giving up on K-F's fansubs and FUNi's DVDs so I could catch up in the story. This is AWESOME news! Now I just need some way to get caught up to where they're starting...

As for the streaming issues, it works fine for me as long as I let the file load a bit before I start watching. The quality could be a bit better, but this is a huge step in the right direction!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
The flv file of the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood weighed in at over 200MB compared to the first episode of Ristorante Paradiso over on Crunchyroll which came in at a svelte 51.7MB mp4 file. They are the same episode length, so clearly Funimation are doing something wrong here.
There may be legal reasons for the file type used though or compatability issues. Maybe they just figured this would look better than Crunchy's stream? In terms of the file type they are using, they could use some more machines to make it a little less painful. (If they switch to a more compact file, they won't have to make any new additions for a while.)
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Brack wrote:
There may be legal reasons for the file type used though or compatability issues. Maybe they just figured this would look better than Crunchy's stream? In terms of the file type they are using, they could use some more machines to make it a little less painful. (If they switch to a more compact file, they won't have to make any new additions for a while.)
FUNi is using On2VP6 to encode FMA while Crunchyroll is using h.264 in flash. It is well known that h.264 looks better and produces a smaller size. There should be no real legal reason for the difference. Overall compatibility differences are equally minor (a specific version of flash is required and it has a (slightly) higher processing overhead on both sides). It may be the FUNi player is just not written to support it yet.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
CR videos also play without buffering issues. They can't beat a download for video quality. They need to fix the streaming issues before it becomes a real problem now that One Piece is streaming.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
CR videos also play without buffering issues. They can't beat a download for video quality. They need to fix the streaming issues before it becomes a real problem now that One Piece is streaming.

Imo, CR looks better than or equal to any SD fansub i've ever seen. Comparing a dattebayo Naruto file to the same episode on CR is like a clear cut victory for CR in terms of video and audio. Some of my DVDs don't even upscale as nicely CR streams.

But yeah, I wish Funimation would get a better player. CR plays perfectly me whether it's full screen or in a browser window. Hulu works good enough in browser and I can stream it through my 360 and it's flawless. Funimation is the one weirdo that gives me problems.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Damn it, how in the hell am I going to catch up in this series... It's going to take months.

Any tips?

.. umm.. pray that Funi starts dumping boatloads of episodes each week? Like what Viz and CR did for Shippuuden. Otherwise it'll take years to catch up (or *never* if the average posting rate per year works out to be 1 a week). But to be fair, CR also faces the same issue for other shows, to a lesser extent.

bayoab wrote:
FUNi is using On2VP6 to encode FMA while Crunchyroll is using h.264 in flash. It is well known that h.264 looks better and produces a smaller size. There should be no real legal reason for the difference. Overall compatibility differences are equally minor (a specific version of flash is required and it has a (slightly) higher processing overhead on both sides). It may be the FUNi player is just not written to support it yet.

issues with the large file size and choppy service could be somewhat mitigated (assuming your ISP doesn't use bandwidth caps) if the player continues to buffer while paused... but it always seems to stop buffering whenever you pause it!! Mad ..at least for me
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Damn it, how in the hell am I going to catch up in this series... It's going to take months.

Any tips?

.. umm.. pray that Funi starts dumping boatloads of episodes each week? Like what Viz and CR did for Shippuuden. Otherwise it'll take years to catch up (or *never* if the average posting rate per year works out to be 1 a week). But to be fair, CR also faces the same issue for other shows, to a lesser extent.

I meant, using the methods everyone else does to keep up with the story.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Any tips?

I meant, using the methods everyone else does to keep up with the story.

If you decide to skip an arc, whatever you do don't skip the Thriller Bark arc (ep. 337-381).

I agree that it's best if FUNi would upload the back episodes like VIZ did.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
awesome. glad they are noticing something other than that naruto show. feel bad for the people that are no where near episode 391 yet though... maybe they can start quickly releasing more volumes of the manga now?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
Wait? What? They're going to start dubbing episodes starting from 391?

Why do that if they've still got alot more to dub before that? And how are they gonna cast Brook and the other new characters so quickly?

Actually the're doing the subs from 391.

The're currently dubbing over the epsiodes that 4kids did which is a blessing.At least they completed the Skypeia arc

And speaking of which,it'll be good if they can have the dub versions return on CN cause to prove that anime on TV isn't beginning to go obsolete.

with the remaining naruto filler epsiodes on hitaus mode with no signs of it returning and it's shippuden sequel not even being showed,and no updates on if the dub version of one piece returning,it's starting to look like that's the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
=3
'nuff said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5