• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Anyway, I have to go. But please, if you do respond, actually think for a change. And don't be a hypocrite, because that's what you were being back there.

The saddest thing about this is that you're a textbook hyper-arrogant sociopath but probably won't ever get anywhere near actually realizing it.

It's not a matter of people "not thinking", it's that your arguments are so goddamn mindblowingly horrible that people have a hard time taking them or you seriously at all.

I realize that all of this just feeds your ego and every time someone tells you you're loud and crazy and ridiculous you tell yourself that everyone saying that just isn't as smart or enlightened as you are, so this is all a huge waste of my time. But I do feel the need to say that in spite of what you tell yourself, you are actually loud and crazy and ridiculous.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Let me turn that around back to you. Are you content to let innocent people be murdered by the state and just talk about statistics and "Oh, well at least we double-checked". Because that's what you are doing right this moment.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot complain that Light is killing the innocent along with the guilty without also admitting that you condone the same system. And you cannot assert that the system is good without also - however begrudgingly - allow Light to use it as the basis for his actions. You are holding up a double-standard, several of them in fact. Don't say the system is bad for Light and that he should not use it, and then turn around and claim that it is good for everyone else to use. Murder is murder, whether Light does it or the court system does.

I thought you were better than that, especially since you are a criminal justice major. Indeed, you should be grateful that Light was following a widely-trusted system at all, rather than just kill anyone who irked him like most people would have.

Sorry but that second paragraph is disturbingly all-over the place. It's just an argument you've invented to serve this reductio ad absurdum mindset. You're introducing facets like the death penalty as faulty device and then comparing it to out-right cold-blooded and pre-meditated murder. Light never gave his victims a failsafe, unlike courts which have a jury of their peer, a judge, and lawyers making arguments before and after the verdict by way of appeals and due process.

Light wasn't following a law complete with jurisprudence, reasonable doubt, etc. You're also failing to localize your argument so as to be useful at all, all the while attempting to go for absolute. Do you know how DIFFICULT it is to get a death sentence carried out in the US?

You're also discounting the poster's arguments about the imperfections of a system and dealing in absolutes, all the while telling him what he or she believes so as to calcify their argument and move around it. It's good rhetoric, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. He or she is obviously not content with the justice system, but realizes that turning a teenaged Pol Pot into Shiva the Destroyer is not a better option than a judge and jury.

Hyprocracy is not embracing something that is flawed. Hypocracy is thinking "I will rid the world of criminals... BY MURDER." I'd rather have a jury of my peers than the Khmer Rouge any damned day of the week, and I'm sure you would, too.

You are correct in a sense that we do feel an alignment with Light at the beginning. Then Ray Penbar buys it and you start asking yourself questions. A big part of Death Note is "where will it stop?" What happens when you find out that you jay-walked? What about if your mom and dad didn't go to work one day? If Kira has this much time on his hands...

I do believe Psycho 101 wrapped it up quite well, and I'll quote him for posterity.

Quote:
What makes him any different from a mass murderer? He's still killing people en mass based on his personal code. You think any other mass murderer or serial killer is different? How is Light any different from them when he is doing the exact same thing?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The saddest thing about this is that you're a textbook hyper-arrogant sociopath but probably won't ever get anywhere near actually realizing it.

.../...

But I do feel the need to say that in spite of what you tell yourself, you are actually loud and crazy and ridiculous.

Hey cool, a free psychiatric diagnosis. If only it wasn't given over the Internet, by someone I don't know and who probably does not have a degree in psychiatry. But hey, you get what you pay for.

TokyoGetter wrote:
Hyprocracy is not embracing something that is flawed. Hypocracy is thinking "I will rid the world of criminals... BY MURDER." I'd rather have a jury of my peers than the Khmer Rouge any damned day of the week, and I'm sure you would, too.

No, the judge and jury was provided by the state. The executioner, well that was Kira's job.

TokyoGetter wrote:
Do you know how DIFFICULT it is to get a death sentence carried out in the US?

So? Do you know how many innocent people are still imprisoned and executed nevertheless? It still happens, though probably not as much as television would have us believe.

TokyoGetter wrote:
You are correct in a sense that we do feel an alignment with Light at the beginning. Then Ray Penbar buys it and you start asking yourself questions. A big part of Death Note is "where will it stop?" What happens when you find out that you jay-walked? What about if your mom and dad didn't go to work one day? If Kira has this much time on his hands...

Well, jay-walking would be an absurd thing to kill a person over. Of course, they would have to make it illegal in New Zealand first. And if my parents don't go into work, well there is this condition called "being fired". You think Kira is going to bother with employment relations? When he has an entire world's violent criminals to punish?

As for the rest, it is just opinion, and you can't argue opinion, for or against.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Let me turn that around back to you. Are you content to let innocent people be murdered by the state and just talk about statistics and "Oh, well at least we double-checked". Because that's what you are doing right this moment.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot complain that Light is killing the innocent along with the guilty without also admitting that you condemn the same system. And you cannot assert that the system is good without also - however begrudgingly - allow Light to use it as the basis for his actions. You are holding up a double-standard, several of them in fact. Don't say the system is bad for Light and that he should not use it, and then turn around and claim that it is good for everyone else to use. Murder is murder, whether Light does it or the court system does.

I thought you were better than that, especially since you are a criminal justice major. Indeed, you should be grateful that Light was following a widely-trusted system at all, rather than just kill anyone who irked him like most people would have.

Hy-po-crite.

You call me a hypocrit but yet jump to a conclusion regarding the question you asked without me even responding. So how do you know I am a hypocrit? Did you use your awesome mind reading powers to see into my thoughts and know what I was going to say before I did? Are you really Charles Xavier? If not shut the hell up and don't presume to think for me Dtm. I never once said I condone the system's mistakes. I simply said they happen. Show to me where I said murder is not murder. Show me where I said the state doing it is right and better then Light. Show me where I said others using it to their advantage is ok but not for Light. Oh wait, you can't because I never said it. No you just jumped to conclusions because you're just so all knowing. So maybe before you open your mouth and make assumptions you should shut the hell up long enough for someone to actually respond to a question. How about that. Now do you actually want an answer to your question or do you just want to continue to make assumptions about what people think and run your mouth?

dtm42 wrote:

I have no idea as to what you mean by "porcupine". But moving on, I certainly wouldn't want to live in a world where just anyone was given the Death Note. But I have to say, Light was spot on when he said that he was the best person for the job. His world would have been a much better one than there is currently. Sure, it would have been filled with sycophants, at least until Mikami came along.

But a world with low crime, low corruption rates, small prison populations, money to spend on health and education, where the innocent are happy and the guilty live in fear...? I don't know, it sounds like paradise to me.

Anyway, I have to go. But please, if you do respond, actually think for a change. And don't be a hypocrite, because that's what you were being back there.

Bye.

And how would this magical world be so crime less eh? How would there be so little corruption? Is Light going to be premature like you and jump the gun with people? He gonna assume he knows what people are planning and kill them before they commit a crime? No? Then I think you're off the mark. You're apparently making the assumption because he has a Death note people would be too afraid to break the law. A very bad assumption. There are countries with FAR FAR stricter laws and punishments then in the states. Yet people still commit crimes there. Unfortunately it's part of human nature. So you must be really delusional if you think he and his little precious Death Note would create such a utopian society. You also assume only the guilty live in fear. You think even the innocent wouldn't as well? Who wouldn't live in fear knowing there's someone out there who simply has to write their name down for them to die? You think even the good wouldn't live in fear wondering if maybe Light might be having a bad day or change the rules suddenly? Oh yes, such a paradise. Wondering day to day if some emotional immature sociotpathic teenager is going to have a temper tantrum and start writing people's names down because he didn't like the way they dressed or they used a bad word. Btw, the Porcupine jab was in reference to a former user here who much like you, though admittedly worse, basically showed very clear signs of being a sociopath.

Now I have to go myself but maybe before you respond anymore and jump up on your all knowing righteous pedestal you should wait long enough for people to respond first to questions you pose. So don't be arrogant full of yourself as if you cna read minds, because that's what you were doing back there mmkay.

dtm42 wrote:
As for the rest, it is just opinion, and you can't argue opinion, for or against.

But yet here you are doing just that. Funny how you call others the hypocrits.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't dtm42 spoken against Light in the past? Is this all just some kind of elaborate joke?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't dtm42 spoken against Light in the past? Is this all just some kind of elaborate joke?

I wish it were a joke. I really do.

I don't remember speaking out against Light in the past, but I'll concede that it is possible. If I did, then it was probably to say that he let me down at the end. For once could we have the evil guy win?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zac wrote:

.../...

But I do feel the need to say that in spite of what you tell yourself, you are actually loud and crazy and ridiculous.

Hey cool, a free psychiatric diagnosis. If only it wasn't given over the Internet, by someone I don't know and who probably does not have a degree in psychiatry. But hey, you get what you pay for.

You likewise are just some random forumite on an Anime newssite with probably no scholarly position to say that everything about Light is right like as if it was an inarguable fact. Even so, like the rest of us Zac is someone who recognizes someone else who is just unable get the point. Light was not God, he was not in a war, he was just a bored teenager who determined the fates of other human beings in the comfort of his own home. When everybody's had their say on this forum, you may try writing in the last word to make you feel like you've won, but the real truth is that you'll remain the only one who believes that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
When everybody's had their say on this forum, you may try writing in the last word to make you feel like you've won, but the real truth is that you'll remain the only one who believes that.

A pre-emptive strike, eh? So that's what you are resorting to . . .

Not that I'm going to put much stock in it.

pachy_boy wrote:
You likewise are just some random forumite on an Anime newssite with probably no scholarly position to say that everything about Light is right like as if it was an inarguable fact.

And what are your scholarly credentials to say that everything Light did was wrong, Mr. Random Forumite person?

At least what I said is true, or likely to be true. Crime was dropping, that is fact. Dead people don't need the NZD80,000 spent on them per annum, and they probably don't need taxpayer-funded lawyers either. You don't need to have a degree in criminal justice to know that those are Good Things. Now, I haven't heard a good factual argument from you, just a whole lot of mindless assertions. Don't bring "scholarly credentials" into it if you haven't displayed any yourself.

You know, I find it hilarious - and disturbing - that all of you are against Light because he killed murderers, and yet when spoiler[he - a murderer himself - got killed you all cheer for his death]. Double-standards, much? Or are all of you divorced from the moral truth by that great a margin?

[EDIT: Spoiler tag added. Don't forget to use these appropriately even in the heat of the moment! - Key]
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
For once could we have the evil guy win?

Chrono Crusade, and arguably Evangelion (spoiler[I mean, if you consider SEELE to be the final villains, they did succeed in starting Instrumentality]. Also Space Runaway Ideon, from what I've heard. According to its director, Gundam Seed Destiny as well, but I'm sorry, I'd much rather follow spoiler[Kira and Lacus, even if they get a little too "do what we say or else!", as opposed to "I'm a few fries short of a happy meal" Darth Shinn].

And you've yet to refute the several points in my first post, instead only quoting one part, and making an absurd comparison, and then acting like Light is some sort of victim in all this. I'm sorry, if he couldn't handle the pressure of people opposing him, then he's definitely NOT cut out to be "god" of the world. With that sort of attitude, he's not cut out to be leading crap. So you have opposition (ZOMG, how unexpected! Rolling Eyes ), start to lose it, and we're supposed to believe you were ever capable of leading the world to peace?

And now I eagerly look forward to a reply that will probably only "refute" one of my arguments, and ignore the many I made in my first post.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

No, the judge and jury was provided by the state. The executioner, well that was Kira's job.

The thing is, that's never really made clear. Light was using the news as his source for criminals, and the news reports more frequently on arrests than convictions, which would mean most of the criminals had not yet been tried before being executed. Furthermore, if they have been convicted, then they are serving the punishment the state has deemed appropriate. Why should one megalomaniac genius get to decide they deserve different fate? Furthermore, I do believe that early on when Light was describing his plan, he explained that after the worse crimes, like murder, were eliminated by fear of Kira's retaliation, he'd move on to lesser crimes, like theft.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The last chunk of death note is what keeps Light from remaining morally ambiguous. It's obvious to me that if they had ended Death Note before the last arc (Which I fully believe was the original intention), it would not have been made into a movie or an anime. It ran in Shonen Jump guys.

Light starts to go nuts early on, but what appealed to me about DN was that neither Light nor L were 'good' or 'evil'. They both had an attitude that the ends justify the means. When the creators decided to take the easy route and make Light 'evil', I was disappointed, cause the story could have done more, and been better. But it is a Shonen Jump manga, and for children, ambiguity would probably not have been considered acceptable.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
The last chunk of death note is what keeps Light from remaining morally ambiguous. It's obvious to me that if they had ended Death Note before the last arc (Which I fully believe was the original intention), it would not have been made into a movie or an anime. It ran in Shonen Jump guys.

Light starts to go nuts early on, but what appealed to me about DN was that neither Light nor L were 'good' or 'evil'. They both had an attitude that the ends justify the means. When the creators decided to take the easy route and make Light 'evil', I was disappointed, cause the story could have done more, and been better. But it is a Shonen Jump manga, and for children, ambiguity would probably not have been considered acceptable.

Incorrect. spoiler[Ohba always intended to have L's successors defeat Kira.]

In fact, Ohba also stated that Near's speech at the end, in the Yellow Box, is the closest to his own morality, but that he actually preferred to concentrate on the battles of wits, rather than push an idealogy. The idealogy of Death Note was just something the author intended for us to strike up casual conversation about.

It's also said that, according to Ohba, the most "pure" person in the cast is Soichiro Yagami, Light's father, who abhorred the Kira murders.

And like I said before, a justice system is a system of people. Nobody should be allowed to have as much power as Kira wielded, for evil or for good. It removes the humanity from the system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And the police/detectives couldn't just ignore Kira, what sane person would leave the fate of the entire world in the hands of one person whose mental stability is highly questionable? And since I've heard Light eventually considers in time killing those who are merely lazy (I don't remember this part, but my friend swears it was there), their fears were confirmed.

Yep, in episode 32, Takada relays a message from Mikimi:
"Good evening. This is the nine o'clock news. Kira's words, which I am about to tell you now, are to become the law of this world. Kira will not forgive people whose existence is deemed a threat. Additionally, he will not tolerate people who live wastefully... and do not use their abilities, for the good of society."
(Some passerbys: "Huh?! Does that mean that he'll kill lazy people?!" -"You're kidding, right?!") Light Yagami's reaction: he doesn't regard this as something wrong, but something that's too early for use. In other words, it's a practice he intends to carry out eventually.

Sorry, but (for this and other reasons) thinking that mass murder will make the world a better place is completely delusional.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
The simplest point to make is NO ONE should have the power Light had. As the saying goes; powers corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. No matter how good his intentions started off as he became nothing more then a sociopath in the end and that's all his doing. No one else's as you would infer. The fact this debate is going on here is creepy enough. I thought porcupine was gone...

My last post on this I swear:
The writers say basically the same thing as this in Volume 13 (the one full of extras, interviews, etc.) when they say that Light could have been a great detective and a good person (if a bit of a jerk)... but once he laid hands on the Death Note, he was doomed.

I believe it was pretty strongly implied that Cheif Yagami's speculation was correct: the Death Note did have something of a corrupting influence. And it wasn't just the "power corrupts" aspect of it, I think it was something more insidious and supernatural in nature.

At least this was the impression I got when I saw just how different Light's personality was during the Yotsuba arc. Light unfortunately seemed to have a personality that was especially vulnerable to the Death Note's influence.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Furthermore, I do believe that early on when Light was describing his plan, he explained that after the worse crimes, like murder, were eliminated by fear of Kira's retaliation, he'd move on to lesser crimes, like theft.

Yep. Not just that, lazy and "immoral" people as well. Basically, his original plan was to use heart attacks to kill all the horrible criminels, and use accidental deaths to kill the lesser criminels and lazy/immoral people. That way, people wouldn't know those guys were being wiped out (as they might not support Kira if they did) but people Light found unsuited to live in the world would still die. In the very first episode, Light is saying that he will make a world where the only people are those he has judged worthy.
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Light's Death Note: sort of the One Ring of the anime world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5