• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you tell an anime studio apart?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flavius184

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
I think it is understandable to be "in the dark" about knowing the specifics of which company makes certain anime. If it's all about enjoying the anime itself, then having knowledge of the name of the studio and their style is pretty trivial.

Although knowing a few things about the studio can come in handy when you just can't get the similarities of two shows out of your head. Like how I originally thought Negima!? was trying to "copy" the art style of Pani Poni Dash!, when after looking at the credits, found that they were created by the same studio (SHAFT).

In cases like that, it just gives a little closure to curiosity.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
After watching so many series and movies from the same studio you start to see similar themes and styles. Studios tend to have distinguishable traits that set them apart. It's not like this is always the case, but allot of the times studios will use the same animation style over and over. After so many years of watching anime you start notice these patterns.

I can always tell a Production I.G title when I see it. The studio has a unique style that can be seen in most of their anime. Same goes for other studios such as Kyoto Animation, Gonzo, Madhouse, ext. Each of these studios seem to have a unique feel to them which gives their products a distinguished look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nagato316

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Kyo-Ani is just recognizable because all their stuff...looks...the same?

I know you don't intend for that to be a derisive comment toward KyoAni's distinctive and attractive visual style, but as of recently, that "sameness" seems inescapable. I'm not even talking about the similarities in chara designs throughout the Key/Visual Arts-based moe trilogy of Air, Kanon, and Clannad.

In the new episodes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, one may notice in the still recognizable character designs of Haruhi and Mikuru what I call the "K-ON!-ization" of said chara designs...the eyes look rounder and shinier, and the mouths/smiles look smaller and "perkier." I didn't think it was possible for the noses to get any smaller! It's as if they took some of the facial "styles" from Sakura High (where K-ON! takes place) and transferred them over to North High. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but make no mistake, there is a discernible difference in the Haruhi chara designs going from "season 1" to "season 2."
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I noticed a change in the Haruhi designs. It still looks great animation-wise, but I would've preferred they keep the Season 1 designs.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
I haven't noticed differences in studio styles, but then I haven't been looking. I sometimes notice character designs, of course, but sometimes a designer will work with several different studios.

I can say that if I find an anime series disappointing on an intellectual level, it often turns out to be by Gainax or Production IG. I guess they're aiming higher than most, but too often they're just pretentious.

dtm42 wrote:
Short answer is no I cannot. I can often recognise characters from the same designer, but I just cannot tell which company made which work just from viewing the show (unless I read the credits that is).
People talk about "Gonzo moments" in shows like Gankutsuou and Basilisk, the "screen jitters" in Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the "clashing CG" in the first episode of Gundam SEED. They talk about how episode seven of Samurai 7 had "off-key character models", and how Hellsing and Speed Grapher had "shoddy animation".

But I didn't notice any of those, not one.

I think people who say a show has "bad" animation are often just trolls who don't know what they're talking about, and just want to put down the show. Or else they spot an anime using a "limited" technique, and think that must be "bad".

As a side note, complaints about apparent variation in character modelling seem to me to ignore the hand-crafted aspect of anime. If you want all characters exactly identical in every cut, then you could just watch one of the recent all-CG atrocities. If you want Art, you'll have to deal with individual style and interpretation. Listen to the commentary for GITS Innocence, in which the director and crew talk (favourably) about being able to recognise individual artist styles from moment to moment.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Just by looking at it? Not really, to me the animation is just a bonus and I watch for the story. As such I don't analyze it too much. Maybe a Bee Train work but that's more because all their shows are fairly similar in atmosphere and pacing. Most of the top quality studios are virtually identical as far as quality most of the time I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2