• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakemonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enjeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I know I showed up this party a little late. I have seen very little '09 anime due to graduating college. But I was lucky enough to stumble into Bake by mistake. While fumbling around the internet I came across the web-poster of it and it seemed interesting. So I started to watch it.

First off, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Except for some reason it kind of reminded me of Welcome to the NHK, even though the storylines really do not match up. I was so drawn to Bake that I watched the whole series (up to ep.13) in two days.

The dialogue is the meat and potatoes of this series, and I love that. Perhaps a lack of good dialogue and story telling in recent anime is what has caused me to take such a long break from anime. So it goes without really saying that this anime was a plesent suprise for me.

I enjoyed all the story archs, however Mayoi Snail was not as good as the rest. That is not to say that it wasnt good, but it wasnt as good as the rest of the series.

Also I am a card holder for the "Senjougahara being an amazing character" club. Her way with words and ways to dig and tease is really funny as well as quite similar to my own personality.

There is a lot I would have liked to analize about this show, however after reading this entire thread, much of what I would have wanted to say or discuss has already been mentioned or covered. so rather than repeat, I will just wait for the remaining 2 web episodes to come out, which I hope will be soon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:
There is a lot I would have liked to analize about this show

First, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the series and it's always nice to meet another Senjougahara fan (of which there are many). Sadly, I'm far too childish and immature to let your spelling mistake bolded above to go by unnoted.

*insert a Beavis and Buttheadian "heh-heh-heh" here*

Always stick a y in analyze or we are going to think you like this series so much you want to take it behind the alley and do dirty, dirty things to it. Wink
Enjeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Enjeru wrote:
There is a lot I would have liked to analize about this show

First, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the series and it's always nice to meet another Senjougahara fan (of which there are many). Sadly, I'm far too childish and immature to let your spelling mistake bolded above to go by unnoted.

*insert a Beavis and Buttheadian "heh-heh-heh" here*

Always stick a y in analyze or we are going to think you like this series so much you want to take it behind the alley and do dirty, dirty things to it. Wink

ahhhhhh.....yes. I would like to be able to blame my spelling error on something, however I cannot think of anything creative or funny. So I guess I will just have to stick with the truth of not spell checking before I posted lol.
Yes, there is nothing I want to "analize" about this or any other series. To analyze is far more interesting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Just say you stuttered, that excuse works for Mayoi!
Enjeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Just say you stuttered, that excuse works for Mayoi!

Yes yes, that was exactly what it was Cool

btw.....am I the only one who really wanted to know what Senjougahara was whispering to Araragi in the car during ep.12? Whatever it was, I'm certain it must have been quite dirty.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Actually, knowing Senjougahara, what she whispered could have been something like this: "Don't ever disappoint or irritate me, Araragi. Because if you do, I'll staple something else of yours and it won't be the inside of your mouth this time, are we clear?"
Enjeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, knowing Senjougahara, what she whispered could have been something like this: "Don't ever disappoint or irritate me, Araragi. Because if you do, I'll staple something else of yours and it won't be the inside of your mouth this time, are we clear?"

She is very capable of saying something like that. And I wouldn't be suprised if she already said something like that in private. However, her aim was to change Araragi's ideas of her junior. So I believe what she did say to him was quite perverted indeed. Araragi's hair told the tail that he was really turned on.

The more I think about it, I think that the audience not knowing what she said is better. It allows for what she said to be mysterious and speculated. Also, something like that if it was as dirty as they made it seem, it would have to be heavily censored to make it on TV.

Now I would not have minded if I was in Araragi's place and heard what she said. I have not had something like an "anime crush" since I was 8 years old and was watching Robotech on TV (Lisa Hayes), but dang.....Senjougahara just might be it for me Cool
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully (or not), you can't really read her lips due to them moving the same exact way for that moment. At least her lips looked yummy.... Twisted Evil

Censorship? Psh. They probably could've included whatever she said on the DVD. We just need some uploads from said DVD (or the DVD themselves, if we import or a company takes a risk and licenses this (pretty please))!

And Senjougahara charms another one... I mean, Hitagi charms another one. *sigh* The internet is sharing her, right?
dayjobdeluxe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

Well well well....

Definitely really glad to see Bakemonogatari back on the scene.

Enjoyment throughout the episode, lots of questions...and answers.

spoiler[Shinobou....The whole thing with Black Hanekawa following him around was really fun to watch. Great interaction between her and Araragi, it definitely lit up her real emotions. But we all knew what was up. We pretty much all knew she likes Koyomi, but it was a definite 'A' for presentation if you ask me.]

Been a long, long time since I read this thread....

Good stuff.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
Awesome episode. Just awesome.

Two questions though; why was the Cat called Black Hanekawa when she had white hair? Seems the wrong way round to me.

And does Suruga really answer all her calls like that, or did she just have caller I.D.?

Anyway, not many shows could make spoiler[looking for a little girl] so much fun.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
Right from the opening frames, I realized how much I freakin' missed and loved this show. I loved spoiler[the "round up" of ex-oddities as Araragi tried to enlist their help looking for Shinobu and how they each tortured/took the piss out of him in their own way.]

And - oh my God - is Tsubasa Cat not the cutest/sexiest thing you've ever seen??? Bring her to me.

This episode really drove home to me that (and I don't know if the creator intended this or if it is simply my own personal reading) Bake is basically the bizarro version of Clannad/Air/Kanon. It takes the harem and "dude looking after wounded girls" thing to giddy heights.

Again, I don't know if the creator consciously intended this or not, but the show seems to have a very male-centric premise of "all females are basically Oddities." I love how all the chicks are constantly yanking Araragi's chain, whether it's Mayoi deliberately mispronouncing his name or even Nadeko - the ostensibly "submissive" girl who has cast herself as an adoring little sister - riling him by telling bad jokes.

Anyway, watching the final episode will be a bittersweet experience for me. I'm excited to see it and the OCD completist in me will be happy to finally check off this series as "seen all" but I'll be a little sad that the journey is actually over.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Definetly another of Bakemonogatari's great episodes, You can see a few of the unfinished bits, but it reminded me how much I want to get this series on a DVD release.

Best parts include seeing the rundown of the other cast, and their relationship with Koyomi, though at least was no sexual harasment. And cute Tsubasa cat is cute, I could probably listen to that mewing tongue twister some more Anime catgrin . And Koyomi's "worth it" was awesome.

One more to go is a bit sad, maybe we will at least get some Shinobu, spoiler[especialy with how they seem to have been saying that she has some character, Koyomi thinks a lot for her, and apparently voiced by Aya Hirano. I do wonder how they will solve the problem, Tsubasa is stressed over unrequited love, and the stress may build fast.]
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Right from the opening frames, I realized how much I freakin' missed and loved this show. I loved spoiler[the "round up" of ex-oddities as Araragi tried to enlist their help looking for Shinobu and how they each tortured/took the piss out of him in their own way.]

And - oh my God - is Tsubasa Cat not the cutest/sexiest thing you've ever seen??? Bring her to me.

This episode really drove home to me that (and I don't know if the creator intended this or if it is simply my own personal reading) Bake is basically the bizarro version of Clannad/Air/Kanon. It takes the harem and "dude looking after wounded girls" thing to giddy heights.

Again, I don't know if the creator consciously intended this or not, but the show seems to have a very male-centric premise of "all females are basically Oddities." I love how all the chicks are constantly yanking Araragi's chain, whether it's Mayoi deliberately mispronouncing his name or even Nadeko - the ostensibly "submissive" girl who has cast herself as an adoring little sister - riling him by telling bad jokes.

Anyway, watching the final episode will be a bittersweet experience for me. I'm excited to see it and the OCD completist in me will be happy to finally check off this series as "seen all" but I'll be a little sad that the journey is actually over.

I posted my thoughts on another forum, and they start as a mirror of your comments, but we then quickly go in polar opposite directions:

God, Cat-Hanekawa is... lust incarnate. Cute, sexy, everything. I almost died during that tongue twister part. At the same time, she's not an idiot, either (despite what Araragi thinks). I think this episode perhaps best illustrates the flaw in Araragi's outlook, his "I'm going to save everyone" way of thinking. This outlook effectively makes everyone equal for him, and refuses to acknowledge that they have different roles in his life. He can't save everyone. He can't treat everyone as an equal priority. He started to see that with Nadeko, but this thing with Hanekawa is what's really going to force a change in him.

"I don't meow everything, I just happen to meow this." - I lawled.

Basically, I think this is the anti-Clannad/Kanon/Air. Araragi is going to be forced to realize he can't save every girl and treat them all equally. Plus, the way the whole thing is presented is very different from a typical KyoAni anime. KyoAni stories are very simple but focused (*focus on one girl* *show her issue* *give her a lot of depth* *move on to the next*). It's great for developing individual characters and bringing out powerful emotions in both the characters and viewers.

Bakemonogatari is more complex. You don't get as much focus on the individual oddities/girls, but everything is interconnected. Araragi's conversation with Black Hanekawa isn't just about them and Shinobu; it's about Araragi maturing and changing the way he looks at and treats other, his relationship with Senjougahara, the way he approaches and treats oddities, etc. Ultimately, it will involve his relationship with everything and everyone in this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Basically, I think this is the anti-Clannad/Kanon/Air.

I started to use "anti-Clannad/Kanon/Air" as well and then decided that wasn't quite right and switched to "bizarro." Maybe I'm just getting too hung up in semantics here, but any time you slap "anti" in front of something you are suggesting the item in question is the polar opposite of something else. I don't consider Bakemonogatari to be the polar opposite of something like Clannad. The basic structure of each is the same: guy attracts harem of girls who have problems and he helps them.

I see Bakemonogatari as almost a deconstruction of that model. It honours the model while also kind of mocking it. Therefore, the girls aren't all completely healed, nor is their affection for the guy straightforward. They still torment him in basically affectionate ways.

It is sort of the same thing with how Katanagatari is a deconstruction of the typical adventure/quest show. That's why the two leads have an extended conversation about snappy "catchphrases" and their importance. You only get that kind of thing when a genre is so well-known that the creator can wink at the audience, saying in effect: we all know the typical elements that go into this kind of story, so let's have some fun with them.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

When it comes to Nisio it's never over! Lets look at his 3 main series...

Zaregoto

9 Volumes long and finished.
Spin off series called Ningen has 3 volumes out and a 4th is being worked on.
A second spin off series/prequel based on Aikawa Jun called Scarlet Hero is also coming out this year.

Aikawa Jun was the most popular female character (and 3rd overall) in an official Nisio character poll from 2007 (So it's Zaregoto and Bakemonogatari only). If you thought Hitagi was awesome wait to you see Aikawa in action... her brief appearance at the end of Zaregoto Vol 1 was just awesome.

Bakemonogatari

Bakemonogatari was 2 volumes and complete.
Kizumonogatari the prequel was then made (this is the stuff you see in the OP for ep 1)
Nisemonogatari the sequel to Bake is 2 volumes long

Kabukimonogatari and Nekomonogatari are due out this year as well, Nekomonogatari being focused on the golden week incident we see in episode 11. Kabukimonogatari on wrapping up Mayoi.

Katanagatari

12 volumes long and complete, currently being converted into 12 50 minute OVAs. Already has one spin off novel called Maniwagatari and Maniwagatari 2 is also due this year.

As you can see he is a prolific writer. he's also writing the Medaka Box manga running in Weekly Shounen Jump.

DuskyPredator wrote:
One more to go is a bit sad, maybe we will at least get some Shinobu... and apparently voiced by Aya Hirano.

I'm sure Hirano will do a fine Shinobu, I just hate her casting in the role because I don't see her doing a good Kisshot period. Maybe they'll get someone with a mature and sexy voice to voice Kisshot in Kizu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 26