• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: US Howl's Moving Castle Release Set?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:51 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
Disney should damn well plaster this film. It deserves the respect. Since it is based on an English book. I don't think Disney will dumb it down. Though that is asking too much.

That's an ironic statement, considering how much Ghibli excised in the adaptation from book to film. I wonder how much Diana Wynne-Jones likes the film.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:03 am Reply with quote
Apparently she's seen the finished product, "enjoyed it a great deal" and is understanding of the compromises made.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:30 am Reply with quote
There's a paragraph about it in the UK webzine, Ansible- discovered it today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
So far as I can tell Disney will at the very least do a passable job with it. Monoke hime was probably one of the first good dubs to come out in mainstream America and Kiki was certainly not bad either. Besides Spirited Away won Oscars didn't it over a lot of American movies that difinately says something.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The IMDb now has it listed as coming out in "limited" release in June. Make of that what you will.

Personally, I'd wager that it will open wider than Spirited Away's initial release but it will be only on a fraction of the number of screens as Chicken Little, maybe 300-500 theatres.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The-Numbers.com's release schedule now has Howl's Moving Castle coming out on Thursday, June 30th.

They're also showing the "limited" tag. The major wide release for the pre-July 4th weekend is Spielberg's War of the Worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
You've got to be kidding, they are re-making the old "war of the worlds" when did this happen?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... it's been happening for the past two years or so, if you read the "trades" or upcoming movie sites.

And, like the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film, I'd think of it more as a different adaptation of the same literary source material rather than a straight remake.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
I'm beginning to doubt that date. I mean if Disney pushed back the Herbie remake, why would they want to replace it with Howl? If it gets picked up at all, it'll likely get stuck in a fall/winter slot like most anime films at the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2