• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is one scene that really rubbed me the wrong way, though... The scene plays out like this: Mei is quietly eating her lunch when Kakeru comments that she's pretty quiet. Yamato then goes on to explain that she's nervous when she meets new people, which is why she's eating more than usual. He pats her head patronizingly, and proudly boasts how she's finally making friends and is doing so much better at talking with others... I was so put off by this scene that my views on Yamato have been pretty soured. It's cool that he's interested in this girl that no one else would give a chance, but the way he talks about her makes it sound like she's a puppy that finally learned how to stop pooping on the carpet.

This scene bothered me too, but not because of how Yamato treated Mei. As a shy person myself, I have learned over the years, that people will just start answering/talking for you. I quickly learned to speak up, reminding whomever it is that you are indeed right there and completely capable of talking. But, Mei fails to do this in the said scene, and that bugged me. She's supposed to be growing as a character right? Why then would she permit Yamato to treat her this way? Honestly, I think the lunch scene played out this way because Kakeru is Yamato's friend. Mei simply didn't want to talk to him if she didn't have to. I probably would have done the same thing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No Fencedude, there's no defending that. I find the idea of arranged marriages to be less than convincing plot elements, simply because they're always surrounded by inexhaustible reasons for why one party can't just "say no. Yeah, force the comatose girl into marriage, that'll show her.

>implying I'm going to defend Sword Art Online

http://www.seaslugteam.com/category/sword-art-online/
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No Fencedude, there's no defending that. I find the idea of arranged marriages to be less than convincing plot elements, simply because they're always surrounded by inexhaustible reasons for why one party can't just "say no. Yeah, force the comatose girl into marriage, that'll show her.

trying to green text outside of 4chan... really are you even trying?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

trying to green text outside of 4chan... really are you even trying?

As if I care.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
That doesn't really help the believability for a couple reasons:
1. A middle school kid not in school...choosing to study? Like, seriously? It'd be one thing if we were led to believe he likes school and studying, but it's quite obvious that isn't the case since we're told he only goes to school in the present for Shizuku.

Well it's not like he was out partying and clubbing instead of going to school, LOL. He had little else to do. Reminds me of Ichigo from Bleach, who despite being pegged as a delinquent would study to avoid getting into fights (and to piss off his teachers by shoving his grades in their face).

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
2. We don't know what he was studying. Is it really that believable that he not only studied the relevant material but retained after what is likely a few years? ("amazing memory" is a cheap excuse)

Some people really are that smart to absorb all that information. I know of a guy - my father taught him - who having barely turned eighteen was going to university to study mathematics. Nothing special, right? Well, a month out from the start of the first semester he began to study the first-year material. Within a week - literally, a week - he had learnt the entire first-year maths syllabus. He subsequently passed mock exams with flying colours, all without attending single lecture, tutorial or seminar (the first semester still hadn't started). The mathematics department gave him the credits for all of the first year papers he had studied. So at the start of his first semester at university he was put straight into the second-year class, which he blitzed in the first semester. He was doing third year papers in the second semester of his first year.

Some people really are that academically smart. It's unfair, but that's life.

Now, Shizuku is a level-headed girl of average intelligence who through sheer hard work has put herself in the big leagues. Haru is a genius when it comes to memorisation and recollection of knowledge, but he's completely oblivious and utterly thick when it comes to anything and everything else. Shizuku is far smarter than he is in every way bar academics. Now, I myself would prefer if Shizuku got slightly higher grades than Haru, as you're right, she studies and he doesn't. For once I'd like to see the girl do better than the guy, as it is almost always the smart guy who upstages the smart girl. But I don't really see it as a problem, not in this show.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The ending for episode 2 of Say I Love you had me throwing my hands up in the air declaring pure BS. Dropped it then and there, and I don't think I'm missing much from what happens later. Monster and Kamisama might not be trying to super grand things, but they're certainly not as infuriating to watch. And their chemistry between respective leads feels a lot stronger, more rewarding to watch.

Kind meh on Psycho-Pass for the first few episodes. It wants to be Ghost in the Shell, but seems to be missing that certain something. I do like the Enforcers, especially Masaoka, Taking walw6pK4Alo's comments and the very grey area of the Psycho-Pass system, I'd love to see where it goes with the Enforcer characters. And the 4th episode seems to be hitting it's first -- possibly series spanning -- arc, so things are looking up.

I don't know what to think of From The New World. Really feels like one of those series that I won't be able to figure out until either the last episode or it collapses under the weight of its own exposition. Even before the EP4 info-dump the series feels very rough in how the narrative is lain out. It's very jumpy and inconsistent, like the script adapter is just cut/pasting important parts of the novels without connecting them properly.

I wanted to like K. First episode was far and away the best looking and technically sound of anything airing, but it, and Code:Breaker, got ruined by parody nature of Chuu2Koi. I don't think I'll be able to take super-powered high schoolers shouting out attack names for the perceivable future. That and the writing really feels like a bunch of hacks trying to out-do Narita.

Blast of Tempest will get another go based on how high up the chart it is. Not much else you can say about Space Bros at this point, other than it's Anime of the Year material.

And as for the column itself, the monthly installment works better for pretty much everyone involved. Biweekly was only a step up from episodic blogging, so looking at 4+ episodes gives a much better gauge of how a series has progressed. And this is a lot less writing to confer that much more information and opinions.

Ratings for this season's shows I'm still watching...
Space Bros
My Little Monster
Kamisama Kiss
Psycho-Pass
From The New World
Polar Bear Cafe (only 20 episodes behind...)
Robotics;Notes
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Kind of behind on the blogging, aren't you?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Kind of behind on the blogging, aren't you?

Uhh...no?

Most recent episode, 18, is right here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Well then link it into your index. The first link you gave only shows up to episode sixteen, and there's no mention of episode eighteen on your "recent posts" list.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well then link it into your index. The first link you gave only shows up to episode sixteen, and there's no mention of episode eighteen on your "recent posts" list.

No, you need to clear your cache, since the entries are right there
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I did a general update post...

Current stuff I'm watching, their ranking, and brief thoughts on each: (assume up to current streaming episode if none listed)

1. Hunter X Hunter - Easily my favorite show. I'm really enjoying the mix of intrigue and action. I never would have thought it would rank this high early on.
2. Space Brothers (episode 23) - Mutta and Hibito are very likable characters. A little slow and stuck in the tournament structure (if a more realistic one) but the characters do carry it well.
3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Fabulousness in anime form. This show is just silly fun.
4. From the New World - The info-dump of episode 4 was a bit much, and I don't know if the show will end up satisfying, but I liked episode 5 a lot.
5. Smile Precure - While this season lacks things like "story" and "character development" it still manages to be a fun show.
6. Magi - Fun adventure series so far
7. Polar Bear Cafe (episode 3) - It isn't something that I really want to watch every week, but I've liked what I've seen
8. Sword Art Online - I'm feeling kind of burned out on this one. It presents an interesting world, but I just haven't cared about it since the new arc started.
9. Psycho Pass - More interesting for where it could go than anything we've seen so far. On the level of "alright"
10. Chuunibyou - I like the character animation of this one, and it's rather funny, but it's not the kind of thing that I'd seek out on my own.
11. Kamisama Kiss (episode 2) - I'm kind of "meh" on this one... I may or may not watch more of it.
12. Saint Seiya Omega (episode 21) - Why am I watching this again? It's kind of fun, but really doesn't make much of an impression.

+ some non-current shows that I'm watching at varying speeds... I'll stick to just the current shows for now.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Well my list:

HxH:yeah its still kicking ass, making me wish there was a OP kai someday and still keeping me on edge dispite the fact I read the manga.

JoJo: there really isn't much I can say about it except I'm enjoying its insanity.

Magi: FINALLY, FINALLY I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS!! A fun shounen FINALLY! I acctually like shounen series and I was trying to find a new one (via manga) but I haven't really found much, but I get this and yes, I'm enjoyig it. Like hell its deep, its acctually entertaining and I like it for that!

space bros: DAMN, I got behind on this series...auragh I need to marathon this...

My little monster: I don't usually watch shoujo but I think I may have finally found my gate way, I'm having a blast with this.

Chuuyinbou...(?): I'm sure someone will correct me, but I'm surpised I'm acctually enjoying thi, its hyouka all over again, and I'm loving it...although its a bit more annoying than hyouka at times (ad hyouka never really annoyed me) but even still I like it, its funny.

Shin yori sekai: It is indeed moving very fast but it makes me all the more curious as to what will happen next.

Hayate: Its alright, but considering I'm not that caught up in the series yet and I'm just watching this to see what the author is going to do, its enough for me to watch.

Stuff I may check out:

Psycho pass: I was pretty underwhelmed by the first episode, I know the creator or whatever is supposed to be one of the big names but I really couldn't get myself to care seriously. I'm sorta on break with it right now though, since I know that this is the same guy who was involved in madoka, and I felt the same way about the begining episodes, I may as well check back into it later to see when the bite off scene kicks in and I get interested for real.

Robotics; Notes : Now with this... I was curious about it but I've been hearing mixed to negative things about it sofar so its kind of at the back of my mind, but something I want to give a at least a try first.

No, just no:

SAO: After episode 3 I read the rest in novel form and I was pretty alright with it, but then I realized that this was volume one and we were covering more volumes, so I figured "alright, lets see where we'll head next" I had to see after that ending, but I couldn't even stomach the first chapter... I was already diswayed by the elf theme, but the villan the cousin incest...really? Then I realized I could probably just enjoy the rest of the first arc... at episode 14 I face palmed myself for ever giving this the benifit of the doubt. I mean yeah the anime rushed this stuff and they made the way kirito 'won' at the end alot more ass pullish than I percived it in the novel, but even still my eyes felt like they were opened: this really is crap and it isn't going to get better for me...

Code breaker: Already heard lackluster comments before the anime was announced and this reall seems like its gonna roll into reborn territory when they did the action swicth, and well.... lets just say it was fun at first but then it went downhill for me. I don't feel like repeating that.

BTOOM: I don't trust video game plots anymore...at least not for the rest of the year...

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well I'm not Fencedude, but if anything the stakes are higher this time, at least on a personal level. Kirito has a very important and intimate goal this time: to save the girl he loves. I'm sure if you asked him she's far more important than his own life. If he died in SAO, well, that sucks, but it'd probably be better living his whole life knowing that Asuna was in the clutches of a giant douchebag.

None of which excuses the fact that the whole plot of this arc is "Rapey McRapeypants is holding Penelope Pitstop hostage and planning to rape her because rape, and the Hero must save her because all badass heroines must be depowered, threatened with rape and rescued by a dude to demonstrate the proper order of the universe."

And before anyone starts saying, "But she's trying to save herself, just give her a chance," spoiler[I've read the novels. It gets worse. Tentacles are involved.]
gorilla491

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Didn't see Say I Love You but the scene described in the article. Maybe it was supposed to happen? Part of the story maybe? Probably what will make the show stand out and differently from other similar Shoujo series done before it?
Gwydion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad I'm not the only one disillusioned with SAO. While I agree with a lot of the complaints about episode 14, I still honestly didn't mind it too much, and I was hoping to see the story take a more interesting turn. But then we got episode 15 and... I just couldn't watch anymore. I like fantasy worlds and all that, but the whole new premise and... relationship... just left me annoyed and disturbed. I still liked the first 14 well enough, but I won't go near 15+ unless it really does a 180, and I just don't see that happening.

That being said, I have also been surprised by My Little Monster and Blast of Tempest this season. MLM is anything but my type of series, but I find myself enjoying it regardless (unlike Say I Love You which, being one of the Mei's of the world back in school just started rubbing me the wrong way). BoT is one I thought I might like, and while I do really enjoy it, I still can't figure out exactly why I like it. It is very pretty to look at and the characters seem interesting, but really the plot is kind of an afterthought for me. Well, I am a characters > plot person, so...

The other new offerings this season I'm still keeping up on are Psycho-Pass, From the New World, and K (which, not gonna lie, I've only kept watching it this long for the pony-tailed-food-obsessed-has-recordings-of-his-dead-masters-voice guy, lol).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15