• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-10-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
The fact that Japanese women often avoid marriage because they'd be expected to quit their jobs and be housewives speaks to this. I think this cultural phenomenon rears its ugly head all too often in anime.

That's only half the story, One big reason Japanese woman aren't marrying men is because they would rather marry for money rather than love. No seriously, the number of Japanese women who rate a potential partner's income as the most important factor is vastly higher than the proportion of Japanese men who do the same. And since the men don't earn as much as the women would like (i.e. their expectations are too high), then the woman aren't willing to marry. And the men for their part aren't willing to subject themselves to a loveless marriage with materialistic women who control all the finances and expect the men to work while they don't have to.

So yeah, Japan is still sexist against women, but don't think for one moment that the women are all victims. Now, as to what you said about the sexism present in Shounen Anime, I will readily agree with you there.

P.S. If you want the links to the research, PM me.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also: we all got picked last for kickball, we all had to tape our glasses together when the bullies in second grade pushed us to the ground at recess, and there's a certain, strange part of our brain that secretly thinks pewter dragons are cool.
Speak for yourself nerd boy! I was never picked last for kickball (due to having a violent kick) and I wore contacts, not glasses. (Did get one kicked out once though. I didn't notice until I was pulled off of him.)

And what secret? Pewter dragons are the wicked awesome height of cool coolness. Especially ones that are skeletal and have a little crystal orb in one claw and glowy red jewel eyes and yes I'm looking at it right now on my desk and no you can't have it! Wink

(For those you can't tell, this was one long, very affectionately intended joke. Except for everything about the dragon. My pewter skeleton dragon rules.)

And I'd like to know what that last letter writer meant by "creeping." I get the impression she had unwanted advances (which pardon me but that makes her the same as pretty much every other woman on Earth and you'll get them from any and all men who find you attractive) and felt particularly bothered by these male otaku with poor social skills. As someone who has admittedly pathetic social skills in face-to-face situations, though I've improved tremendously, is it so bothersome to find out that guys who are fans are really drawn to girls who are fans? I mean, a big part of fandom for many guys is trying to either hide their hobbies or constantly defend them. It's not unheard of for men to sell their prized collections, whether it is anime or GI Joes (I've read the stories and seen the sales personally for Joes) to please their girlfriend/wife.

It's pretty natural I'd say for someone who is single and found someone they are interested in to focus on anything they have in common. I mean, I don't think it would make sense for someone to talk about a topic they don't think the girl would like or that they know she doesn't like. If the guy is invading personal space and can't take a hint (and ladies, I mush remind you, we males really don't get subtly sometimes so just say "buzz off" clearly) then sure, he deserves to be scorned hard.

If a guy is just a bit desperate but acting appropriately and is trying to impress you with his vast anime knowledge, take it as the compliment it is. The guy is interested in you. Pity him if he's really pathetic, maybe offer some constructive advice, but don't get in a huff.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I like DBZ Abridged... and that's about it as far as those type of things. Probably the best way to watch DBZ right now. And the voice acting is actually better than Funimation's.

I also enjoy TeamFourStar's work on DBZ Abridged. They somehow managed to turn a minor character like Mr. Popo into one of my favorites (maybe second only to their parody of Nappa).

A Gintama movie? Hmm, I remember the results of a Japanese survey posted on this site a few months ago where Gintama was a top-10 choice for fans who wanted to see some of their favorite anime/manga brought into live-action. I find it funny that there's talk of a live-action movie when the anime itself doesn't have an animated movie like most 100+ episode shonen anime do.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Abridged series are hit and miss, like any other fan produced thing out there. I notice that the best ones are the ones that actually take the concept to heart and poke fun at the series. Yugi-oh does this extremely well. I've seen others, like the Code Geass one, where no care was taken at all in making it relevant, hence the fandom humor of lost (Yugioh's poked fun at this). There's a lot of bad ones out there, though there are some good ones (the Berserk one had it's moments, particularly the ending). There are too many of them it seems.

I think the real downside to it is that sites like Youtube allow greater proliferation than back in the day. Hence a lot more imitators of the concept, and the greater ease to distribute a subpar product. The Elfen Lied AS info sums up the attitude well, "Because everyone else was making their abridged series." Jump on the band wagon, whether you actually have something funny to say. It sort of takes the special uniqueness out of it.

Personally, I miss the days of the full bore parody dub. I've been a fan of them for ages, and have tried tracking a lot of them down. They were hit and miss too, but quite clever at times, particular the ones that repurposed the footage with new characters. The rarity of them worked too. I think we're past the age of things on the grand scale like Fast Food Freedom Fighters, Redeath, and This is Otakudom. The only parody fandub on Youtube I've seen is the Higurashi one, done by one guy. It's got it's moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Don't really see the point of a Hollywood Gintama movie, anyway, since all the characters would be white, and even the manga's longer arcs have a tendency to drag for a while. Plus, it has more back-stories to contend with than Bebop, which makes the whole thing insanely expensive. And Japan has the opposite problem, where it could probably get the actors, but still be forced to shoot on the cheap. That live-action Goemon that just came out from that Casshern guy still looks sort of straight-to-video-ish by our standards. [Though it looks more interesting than the Ritchie Holmes, at least.]

So my feeling is that, since WB is distributing DVD for Viz, it could mean that there's an announcement of a certain someone picking up the show; and that's just a place-holder for any clips and/or trailers.

Quote:
I would totally watch a Gintama movie starring Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill. If only because it's precisely the sort of casting that would set the internet ablaze with the fires of irrational hatred.

Seth Rogen's totally wrong as The Green Hornet, but he wouldn't be a bad Kondo.

Quote:
Gintama has its fans, but it's nowhere near the top of the Shonen Jump totem pole, popularity-wise.

Maybe in the U.S., but it even got a brief mention in the afterword of one of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei books.

Quote:
those "Abridged Series" things make me laugh about as much as cancer surgery, or Jeff Dunham. It's 9 to 10 minutes of lame, lazy meta-humor and bleeped-out curse words.

The Berserk and Gankutsuou abridged stuff wasn't bad, but the guy I dig is the one running Weekly Tube Show. [Some material NSFW.] And this Yu Gi Oh parody delivers.

Quote:
I know more than most human beings would ever care to know about Looney Tunes

So do ya know about those "banned" cartoons? Wink

Quote:
Being a nerd doesn't carry the tremendous social stigma it once had.

Becasue they were smart enough not to vote for Bush. Rolling Eyes
sheentaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Shonen Anime gets a unfairly reputation on the way they treat women, but remember it is targetted at young boys.
When I was a young boy I always wanted to be the hero not have a girl be the hero for me. I wanted to save the girl and be cool. These Manga are targeted to immature young boys and girls are icky to them.
Also when ever there is a Shonen manga with a strong female lead more often than not, it gets cancelled for poor in the popularity polls.
Since its the young boys who send the post cards in.
Also Fujoshi hate all Female characters in Shonen, best example is Reborn.

So the reason there is not strong shonen female characters in Manga is because the readership of Japan does not want it. I do not think this a sexist thing as 10 year old boys most likely do not understand sexism at that age.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
sheentaku wrote:

So the reason there is not strong shonen female characters in Manga is because the readership of Japan does not want it. I do not think this a sexist thing as 10 year old boys most likely do not understand sexism at that age.

Oh where to start..
Just because someone doesn't understand what sexism is doesn't mean that it's not sexism.
If a little boy doesn't want to read a story with a girl as the main character it's because he has been conditioned by his surroundings to feel like he can't relate to a female character.
Every Miyazaki film that I can think of has a girl as the lead. These films are wildly successful with all demographics. Kids love Ponyo and Totoro, it doesn't matter that the main characters were little girls.

If more manga had empowered female characters as the leads boys wouldn't care about the gender of the hero. They would focus on the action and the story.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
Things are certainly better for nerd-kind than they were back in the dark ages, though abysmal drek like The Big Bang Theory hasn't helped, reviving the stereotype of nerds being effeminate ninnies.

To the OP of that topic, if you are writing to the letters column of an anime fan website, you are a nerd, even if you're only writing to complain about other anime fans calling themselves nerds. Acknowledge your nerddom, embrace it. After all, the opposite of a nerd is not a cool person, but a "mundane", a banal conformist.

Just remember that stalking girlnerds isn't nice.

(I humbly apologise for use of the term "girlnerd".)
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
[quote="Richard J."]
Quote:

And I'd like to know what that last letter writer meant by "creeping." I get the impression she had unwanted advances (which pardon me but that makes her the same as pretty much every other woman on Earth and you'll get them from any and all men who find you attractive)

This bothers me.. You make it sound here that unwanted advances are something that women should just get over because it's a fact of life. That doesn't make it okay.
sheentaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
dizzywulf wrote:
sheentaku wrote:

Oh where to start..
Just because someone doesn't understand what sexism is doesn't mean that it's not sexism.
If a little boy doesn't want to read a story with a girl as the main character it's because he has been conditioned by his surroundings to feel like he can't relate to a female character.
Every Miyazaki film that I can think of has a girl as the lead. These films are wildly successful with all demographics. Kids love Ponyo and Totoro, it doesn't matter that the main characters were little girls.

If more manga had empowered female characters as the leads boys wouldn't care about the gender of the hero. They would focus on the action and the story.

Miyazaki films are not shonen manga, here is the thing boys do care about the gender of the character, when they play a fighting game they always want to be the cool looking guy. In a massive fight they want the guy to come beaten to a pulp and come back in the manly way.
Women as a lead just does not work for Shonen Battle manga they are unpopular because when in the playground no one wants to pretend to be the girl, You are not thinking as a boy around that age.
Would fist of the north star, Dragon ball, Naruto, Bleach, One piece what ever battle Shonen manga you can think of be as popular if the main character was female?

Now do not get me wrong I am not saying strong female characters are not a good thing, It is boys around that age want a hero they can relate to and pretend to be.
Even in the west it is like that, BEN10 would have not become as popular if it was Sue10.

Also just a little question, why are strong Female shonen characters (when they are around) always mean to the male Lead, like hitting him for example or acting superior.
Barachem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
[quote="dizzywulf"]
Richard J. wrote:
Quote:

And I'd like to know what that last letter writer meant by "creeping." I get the impression she had unwanted advances (which pardon me but that makes her the same as pretty much every other woman on Earth and you'll get them from any and all men who find you attractive)

This bothers me.. You make it sound here that unwanted advances are something that women should just get over because it's a fact of life. That doesn't make it okay.

What if the unwanted advances were just misunderstood displays of genuine connection?
I'm not saying that this girl didn't have any unwanted advances from male fanboys or that she should get over them.
I think she's exaggerating some of it due to being stuck in a train of thought where even genuine displays of connection are seen as unwanted advances.
Some women are like that.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
sheentaku wrote:
dizzywulf wrote:
sheentaku wrote:

Oh where to start..

Women as a lead just does not work for Shonen Battle manga they are unpopular because when in the playground no one wants to pretend to be the girl, You are not thinking as a boy around that age.
Would fist of the north star, Dragon ball, Naruto, Bleach, One piece what ever battle Shonen manga you can think of be as popular if the main character was female?

If kids are taught that girls are just as cool and strong as boys I could definitely see stuff like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece etc. being just as popular with a female lead. (Not touching Fist of the North Star because it seems like we're talking about series for kids).
On the playground I pretended to be male characters as well as female. If a female character was cool and strong what would be so bad about a boy pretending to be her?
I think we're getting into deeper gender issues here but it's interesting to think about.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Things are certainly better for nerd-kind than they were back in the dark ages...you are a nerd... Acknowledge your nerddom, embrace it. After all, the opposite of a nerd is not a cool person, but a "mundane", a banal conformist.

I second that. "Nerd" back in the day was so derogatory. I personally prefer to refer to myself as a "geek," but "nerd" is an acceptable form of self-pigeon-holing. Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I have a giant Patlabor 2 wallscroll hanging over my bed.

Ah yes...the giant over the bed wall scroll. The most effective birth control device ever conceived.

Quote:
Most of the time, these conversations are instigated by the second party and, as to not appear rude, I respond and try to keep things as polite as humanly possible. But sometimes these guys just don't know when to call it quits, and I'm forced to completely ignore (and on some occasions hide from) them.

Well hey! Here's a bloody loony idea: What if maybe if you incorporate just a tiny little fraction of the vile demeanor you're demonstrating here into your actual conversations, then they'd maybe stand some shot at actually getting the hint. I mean use your head here. If you constantly act polite and humor these guys, of course they're going to keep talking to you. That's generally how human interaction works. They're going to have the impression that you're a nice, friendly girl who does in fact share their interest in anime and enjoys discussing it. Of course then they're going to keep coming back. They're not 'stalking you'. (get over yourself). They obviously like you and think you like them. Do this: If they start going on about anime, tell them you're actually not that interested in anime. Then they will know you are not that into anime. This is not rocket science. You're not doing anyone any favors by stringing people along.

For that matter, I've always felt it's a little unfair to single out anime fans for this behavior. I guarantee that if an attractive guy indicated he had an interest in something that is largely popular among women he would suddenly find many of them more than willing to chat his ear off about it. It's just human nature to be a bit eager when you find someone of the opposite gender shares your interest that is normally more exclusive to your own gender.

Quote:
The writer cited Naruto as an example of how the sexes are equal in anime, yet I see it as a great example of how they are NOT. Not only are the female ninjas vastly outnumbered by male ninjas (like what, 1 to 10? Less?), most of them, especially Sakura, are allowed to be cool, but only if they're not as cool as the boys. Eventually, to make up for this fact, they do the standard anime cop-out of making them the healers. "See? We're still cool, because we... heal stuff. Girls can't fight as good as boys you see." And this is *especially* true if the female is the love interest of the main character, and then they are inevitably forced to sit back and watch the main character do cool stuff, and never do anything cool themselves. Now, don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed all these series, but see Bleach, Naruto, Trigun, Ruonin Kenshin, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, and countless others for proof.

Hold up. I see what you're saying and I generally agree that 'mark' is off his rocker. However, this kind of thing is just reality in every area. Japan, America, whatever. The girl gets stuck playing second fiddle most of the time. I think though it's generally more of an issue of there not being enough female leads though. Clearly, the lead is going to be the the coolest and strongest character. I don't think you can blame any individual production for that though.

Furthermore, I don't know how you can possibly complain about the women in Trigun. Yeah, they're not like Vash...obviously. But then they're not even really gunslingers. Yet despite that they're still tough as hell and can hold their own in a fight. They're brave, strong willed and independent. They're never once treated as objects or sexualized. I mean...jeez. What would it take to satisfy you?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
It's been quite gratifying to me over the last several years to see geekdom take back the terms "Geek" and "Nerd" and use them in a positive light. I mostly thank the internet, as it's basically nerd created and dominated, but is used by EVERYONE. It, along with the success it has brought to some of the more prominent nerds (that's your cue, Mr. Gates,) has helped reshaped nerdiness into a positive trait that implies knowledge and success, not just weirdness.

In other news, Yugioh: The Abridged Series is pretty much the only Abrided show I can stand, mainly because it started the trend and, while not always funny, was amusing more often than not. Not to mention that most other abridged shows are just a nonstop torrent of jokes stolen from LittleKuriboh.

And really, it's just not that amusing a concept to sustain so many different series; these days it seems like every kid with a USB microphone and a pirated copy of Adobe Preimere thinks he's going to get internet famous by dubbing poop jokes into Bleach episodes. The whole concept is played out, guys. Find another outlet for your Kanye West interruption jokes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6