• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Code Geass Project's Launch Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Do keep in mind that the whole series is pretty-much about lies and deception, though

All fiction is a lie. That's why it's fiction. Wink

Charred Knight wrote:
spoiler[I would hardly call triumphant music playing while thousands of brainwashed soldiers die and the people of Gotenba, Fujiyoshidi, and Fujinomiya are killed to be showing the fall of Lelouch.]

Thanks for spoiler. Anyway, the series does have an implied theme that those who fight must be willing to forfeit their lives. I can't add any more since I'm only at episode 13 of R2.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Do keep in mind that the whole series is pretty-much about lies and deception, though

Charred Knight wrote:
spoiler[I would hardly call triumphant music playing while thousands of brainwashed soldiers die and the people of Gotenba, Fujiyoshidi, and Fujinomiya are killed to be showing the fall of Lelouch.]

Thanks for spoiler. Anyway, the series does have an implied theme that those who fight must be willing to forfeit their lives. I can't add any more since I'm only at episode 13 of R2.

I have no problem with that, obviously when you sign up for the army, you sign up knowing you might be called on to sacrifice your life for your country, but I cross the line at massacring innocent people for your dreams. The idea that this is protrayed as right just sickens me.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

"About" is the key word here.

Charred Knight: As far as I saw, yes, that was showing the fall of Lelouch (along with all of the last few episodes). He spoiler[became what he hated, whether or not it was theoretically for a noble goal. You weren't even supposed to know about the 'noble goal' part, at that point (unless you'd been following the clues). Up until his 'death', the series was attempting to make viewers think he had been corrupted entirely. That his actions weren't solely motivated by evil and greed was supposed to be a plot twist.]

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Jedi Master wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:

I have no problem with that, obviously when you sign up for the army, you sign up knowing you might be called on to sacrifice your life for your country, but I cross the line at massacring innocent people for your dreams. The idea that this is protrayed as right just sickens me.

Man enough with it already, it's a fictional TV show. You sound like that kind of preechy Jack Thomspon style "moral voice" who's out desperately seeking attention and who has to question everything not certified G Family Friendly that I never thought I would run into on an anime internet forum. Seriously get over yourself and maybe devote some future time to something that actually matters in the long run. Like I don't know, real atrocities happening in the real world that are far more deserving of outrage than a sci-fi character who wears a mask and makes goofy hand gestures.

In the meantime this is a news talkback thread so I suggest we keep it that way.
moondreamer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
is this really for real?
it's great.!!!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

Charred Knight: As far as I saw, yes, that was showing the fall of Lelouch (along with all of the last few episodes). He spoiler[became what he hated, whether or not it was theoretically for a noble goal. You weren't even supposed to know about the 'noble goal' part, at that point (unless you'd been following the clues). Up until his 'death', the series was attempting to make viewers think he had been corrupted entirely. That his actions weren't solely motivated by evil and greed was supposed to be a plot twist.]

The problem is that as soon as the reason for his actions are given. all of his sins are immediatly removed, and his treated like a saint. That a horrible action for a good reason all of a sudden removes the horrible action even if that action was unecessary in the first place is somehow right.

They ignore the many innocent people he killed simply because he did it for a dream he believed in.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
YAY the message is on the main site!
ac195

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

The problem is that as soon as the reason for his actions are given. all of his sins are immediatly removed, and his treated like a saint. That a horrible action for a good reason all of a sudden removes the horrible action even if that action was unecessary in the first place is somehow right.

They ignore the many innocent people he killed simply because he did it for a dream he believed in.

Bottom line, he was willing to give his life for his cause...

Many of those he killed lived under the idea of survival of the fittest... Many of those "innocents" didn't exactly mind or resist treating "Numbers" as second class citizens...

Those who followed him and died... Died believing in there cause... they may have been manipulated, but still...

Sure, killing isn't the answer... but when it's kill or be killed (that is how the series started if you recall), I'm pretty sure anyone here would choose the first option. Oh and if you chose the second option, good for you... you're worm food now... and you really don't matter at all anymore.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
Who wants to bet that this is going to be a movie re-release?
Unless I've missed something, they didn't say it's going to be something new. And hey, everybody needs money, right.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:

Bottom line, he was willing to give his life for his cause...

Many of those he killed lived under the idea of survival of the fittest... Many of those "innocents" didn't exactly mind or resist treating "Numbers" as second class citizens...

Those who followed him and died... Died believing in there cause... they may have been manipulated, but still...

[/quote]

So your saying that a heavily class based society like Japan should be killed?

Mpst of those people he killed where civilians and the soldiers he killed where brainwashed into serving him.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
This seems to have turned into something of a game of Chinese whispers by now.

Sven Viking wrote:
And, as mentioned above in the spoiler's tiny writing, the producers also confirmed that spoiler[Nunnally was truly dead, and would not be coming back later in the series.]

I don't remember that at all. What actually happened: the character relationship chart on the official website was updated while the show was still airing. A number of people probably paid more attention to that than to the actual episode, it seems, or else more of them would have noticed something was fishy to begin with.

Charred Knight wrote:

The problem is that as soon as the reason for his actions are given. all of his sins are immediatly removed, and his treated like a saint.

I think the series was actually rather clear about his name not going down in history like that of a saint, which does counter your statement. If you mean the people who knew him, that's at least a bit different.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I think the series was actually rather clear about his name not going down in history like that of a saint

Yeah, I still don't see how people got that Zero was lionized in the series. Schneizel ended up spoiler[representing the virtually complete despotism of the Britannian Imperial Family, so there was no path to a compromise, certainly in story terms. They were unredeemable to the end and positioned as the worst of the lousy choices open to the Japanese. Lelouch's true downward spiral began unintentionally with Euphemia's massacre. This was a seminal moment, and his actions became more and more misguided from that point forward--which was obvious to the viewer and blatantly reinforced in the storyline when his friends and allies react to the revelation of his Geass power.]

In the end, it's a morality tale about the abuse of power. Not particularly new in its themes, but well done nonetheless. The ending clearly shows that spoiler[Lelouch's actions are his downfall, and anyone familiar with even the basics of world history realizes the falsity of the peace achieved in that manner. ]Certainly today it is obvious that imperialism is a failed methodology of government.

The people closest to Lelouch are entirely in character spoiler[holding personal feelings despite his actions. The Emperor Hirohito was still revered by most, despite a large faction feeling he had skirted responsibility for Japan's contribution to WW II. Even Hitler had his supporters to the end, and after. It's just human nature. ]

It's just nothing to be up in arms about. A decent episode within an implied historical epic. Which is also why I see no need for spoiler[Lelouch to return as the lead.] That universe is overly populated with interesting characters, and the mysteries remaining provide numerous opportunities for expanding the story. It's like saying that any sequel to spoiler[The Hobbit would fail without Bilbo Baggins as the lead] Wink.
LaN-X

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

It's just nothing to be up in arms about. A decent episode within an implied historical epic. Which is also why I see no need for spoiler[Lelouch to return as the lead.] That universe is overly populated with interesting characters, and the mysteries remaining provide numerous opportunities for expanding the story. It's like saying that any sequel to spoiler[The Hobbit would fail without Bilbo Baggins as the lead] Wink.

Sequel to The Hobbit without Bilbo as lead??? BLASPHEMY! (Just kidding Smile)

Lets just hope that R3 is about Lelouch's Nephew Frod.... err someone. The Nephew then inherits Geass from Lelouch moments before he is stabbed by a pink sword. The Nephew then journeys to Canada with his gardener attempting to destroy Geass once and for all.

Very Happy

Last edited by LaN-X on Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
This seems to have turned into something of a game of Chinese whispers by now.

Sven Viking wrote:
And, as mentioned above in the spoiler's tiny writing, the producers also confirmed that spoiler[Nunnally was truly dead, and would not be coming back later in the series.]

I don't remember that at all. What actually happened: the character relationship chart on the official website was updated while the show was still airing. A number of people probably paid more attention to that than to the actual episode, it seems, or else more of them would have noticed something was fishy to begin with.

Charred Knight wrote:

The problem is that as soon as the reason for his actions are given. all of his sins are immediatly removed, and his treated like a saint.

I think the series was actually rather clear about his name not going down in history like that of a saint, which does counter your statement. If you mean the people who knew him, that's at least a bit different.

Off topic again and no moderator in sight I see....might as well join in for the time being then.

Anyway yeah wasn't he kind of remembered like Caligula of Rome was? An emperor that started off good and well liked but eventually went on to commit intolerable acts and thus became the most reviled king in Britannia's history. A sort of reverse Man In The Iron Mask if you will. I think the fact that the people were spoiler[cheering the murder of the Emperor by Zero and chanting Zero's name during the parade] should testify as to Lelouch's level of popularity. spoiler[There was no clearing of his sins, he died taking them to his grave with him and only a handful of people knew he did it all for the greater good.]

The question the viewer has to ask is if the ends justified the means. I can see why some people would say no (I think I may even be one of them), but I think the show had it covered that he was no saint nor was any character in the show by the end. It samed like everybody had the best of intentions on some level in this show, but you know what road they say is paved with those.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I am talking about the characters of the story, anyone who hears about Zero Requiem agrees to help, and after learning about Zero Requiem Lelouch is isntantly forgiven. That plus the interviews to me tells me everything I need to know about Okouchi and Taniguchi's opinion.

Do we ever find out what Zero Requiem actually is? No, this has lead to people actually stating that Zero Requiem involves no one dying which is insane to think considering Charles' reign.

Pparker, all you have to know about the Geass fandom is that your the first person other than myself that thinks the Black Knights where right to do what they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12