• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Oklahoma Students to Be Disciplined for 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alp227

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and Oklahoma? Of all the Death note controversy cases I've seen, this is especially outrageous because these are elementary schoolers, and the manga/anime DVDs all have parental advisory warnings on the containers. I guess it's another case of "it's animated, so it's for kids".
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I had a friend who back in the day, when we where in 4th grade, did something similar. The guy was getting beat up real bad a lot, and his dad was having horrible health problems on top of that. He was just having a horrible time and was trying to voice his frustration that no one cared about or had the time or energy to care about at home.

Once the teachers found out they called him up the principles office, and called his parents in. They helped his parents find a good shrink, and looked into the kids that where beating him up.

The teacher were informed of what had happened, and to keep an eye on him and make sure he wasn't getting bullied and to let the other kids know he was having a hard time.

Last time I talked to my friend a number of years back he was doing great and was about to go off to college.

This kind of stuff really doesn't warrant the police, or giving the kid a record (I know they are sealed once the kid hits 18 but people can still find out easy) or to be known as that kid in the community. This stuff really can be handled with out all this drama, its better for all parties involved.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I still can't believe there are people thinking it's overreacting to get the kids in trouble. In any case, it was school policy, not one person's choice to call the police. It stems from the fact that people, even young children, have killed others before. It's the school's job to keep kids safe. If someone wrote that a bomb was in the school, they would have to call the police, too. Chances are there isn't one, but does anyone want to take the chance and let it go unchecked?

These kids can't just be let off the hook for wishing death upon someone and need to know it's not appropriate (especially for school). They'll probably never do it again and, if needed, get some help.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if they talked about blowing up the federal building, then the teachers would look the other way. Rolling Eyes
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
... Schools are a place where parents leave their kids with complete trust and faith in the staff that their kids will be safe. Therefore, it is the staff's responsibility to make 110% sure that they meet the parents' trust. And so, even "small things" like this ( Rolling Eyes ) should be taken very seriously. It is even said that calling the police is the school's policy for such matters, and yet the principal will still be handling the student's punishment. These are the types of things that people (kids included) should not joke around with.

I totally agree with you, anything that is even remotely threatening should never be looked over and must be dealt with seriously. If not then the situation might involve into a regrettable one. Personally I'm just shocked that for an elementary school matter the police came in. If it were the elementary school I grew up in I wouldn't think the police would not have been involved, but my views are probably dead wrong at this time. It just surprised me that's all.

My point about the police in the policy was to support that this school is probably in a troubled neighborhood, and those typically produce more crime with juveniles. It also might be hard to get to that 110% safety within the school due to the neighborhood. So then it is right for police to be involved in some fashion. Now if it were a middle school or high school, like the other cases, then the police should be involved no matter what.

I called this a little situation because there wasn't a weapon involved and I believe no verbal threats (though the terms of their deaths did trouble me and I can imagine most others). It's just kids fantasizing around and most typically age out of it (though there are some kids that need to be watched incase they don't age out of it). I just felt that for this particular case that the police would make the situation worse. Even though they are not dealing with the kids disposition their status as officers of the the law adds to the situation. I wouldn't want these kids having a bad image attached to them for something that they might not have full understanding of, including outcomes. Having that image would make it worse for them down the road. At the age those kids are at and where there moral development is at anger management will most likely help. This would help them know how to deal with those temptations in a safer manner.

Last edited by leftbehindxp on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
These kids can't just be let off the hook for wishing death upon someone and need to know it's not appropriate (especially for school). They'll probably never do it again and, if needed, get some help.

Then one can assume that you've never hated another human being, nor have one hated you. There's a huge difference between holding a knife and stabbing someone; but perhaps they should focus on something bigger and write a few politicians' names. Then we'd all agree on it, and the kids wouldn't get in trouble at all, rather, we would be praising them by now.
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
here's my question: why do they even believe them?!?!?! !

Ok, we all know clearier than HELL ON A FOGGY NITE that
the death note does NOT WORK!!
have we ever seen a person get killed from one of these death notes?!?!? !

I didn't think so. SO, they really need to stop makin such a big mess about it.
Kids need to understand that NOT everything that happens in animes is REAL!!
isn't that why they call it fiction for a reason!!?!??!?!?!

Even I know that if i list somebody's name in a book it's gonna kill them. Geez, I tell ya the more this gets out
the more anime is gonna get censored like they do on MTV!!!!!!!!!
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Is it just me, or has anyone else stopped caring about things like this? People will always overreact about something. I've lost the drive to get worked up about it either way.

Same here. I'm getting tired of hearing about these incidents.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Namia_the_Theif_18 wrote:
Ok, we all know clearier than HELL ON A FOGGY NITE that
the death note does NOT WORK!!
have we ever seen a person get killed from one of these death notes?!?!? !

But we haven't seen one not getting killed by one of those death notes either. And that proves your theory wrong!

Quote:
Kids need to understand that NOT everything that happens in animes is REAL!!

Are you telling me that Mio isn't real? Blasmephy!
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote

I would throw some insults at the stupidity of the parents of the kids and the kids themselves but you guys already did that
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Americans. Being terrified of everything for a few decades now.

I suppose the main issue is that, because everyone has access to guns, everyone is really scare at the potential for something else to go wrong. Down here in Aussie land, if someone has that and the teacher found it, the child would be sent off to the school counselor. And if it was like, "These children are bullying me", the school will sort it out on their own without any need to tell the parents.

Everyday people do this, I can't believe how scared people are. I draw my teacher being shot and he goes picks it up and pins it on the wall. "For a lasting memory" apparently (Stupid maths teachers). Or the time I brought I sponge to class and the whole class was throwing it around and ditching it at people, no one does anything because, heck, it isn't remotely dangerous. Just the idea is.

I wonder why they haven't banned guns yet. I mean, the idea that someone has it means they are going to use it against other people right? (Oh right ... the piece of paper called the United States Constitution ...)

Frankly I'm rather sick of hearing the same news as this. Just because it is related to a franchise, doesn't mean that the impulses are there. In fact, I feel safer with kids expressing their anger because generally the ones who keep it inside themselves go into depression etc .... then become mentally unstable.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
you know... what's the point? i think we've pretty much said all we can about this subject by now.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
While manga technically isn't defined as comic books.

Uhh, technically speaking, that's exactly what manga are.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
alp227 wrote:
Wow, and Oklahoma? Of all the Death note controversy cases I've seen, this is especially outrageous because these are elementary schoolers, and the manga/anime DVDs all have parental advisory warnings on the containers. I guess it's another case of "it's animated, so it's for kids".

Parents are supposed to check if the things their childeren watch are suitable for them.
It's younger ones like these who don't necessarily know the fiction/reality borders that are the problem. Kids routinely do things to each other that would warrent prison time(or at least big fines) if they were of age (i.e. GBH, assault etc.). You do not want to give them ideas to do anything worse.

I hope the parents get talked to seriously about checking what their kids read, they're possibly neglecting some of their resposiblity here.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

I think it's perfectly natural for kids to wish for bad things to happen to people whom they dislike. And as long as they are able to control themselves and not inflict that harm themselves, then they are indeed acting pretty much the same way as most adults.

Let's leave "thought police" to the religions (ie: coveting thy neighbors...) and keep civilized police enforcement limited to actions and incitement.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4