• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katanagatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thoroughly enjoyed the latest eppie. Togame became even MORE adorable in my eyes. Her ingenious "solution" to how she spoiler[could be carried up the stairs in such a way that even if they were seen there would be no embarrassment] cracked me up.

What was interesting about this episode for me is that it is the first time Shichika has had to go up against spoiler[a sympathetic opponent]. I was very curious how they were going to resolve this particular conflict. spoiler[Kudos for having the stones to actually kill off a sympathetic antagonist. I have a feeling a more conventional show would have tried to find a way to have its cake and eat it too (i.e. have our heroes get the swords, but not kill the Ex-Bandit Queen).]

So far I've been impressed with how each of the Sword encounters have differed from each other. If they can actually maintain that over the full 12 episodes, I'll be very impressed. To get interesting variety from the exact same set-up each time: find sword, fight for sword is no mean feat.

Cheerio!
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
I thought that episode three was the worst thus far. God was it flawed.

spoiler[Having a character jump and then stay up in the air for line after line of dialogue until he gets cut down like nothing was painful. Not to mention that he wasn't very well developed, and that his actions didn't make sense; he actually thought he would win against two opponents with three Deviant Blades between them? Are all Maniwani guys completely batshit insane?]

spoiler[Then there was the backstory thrust in too late. It shouldn't have been left to the actual final battle before showing us the remainder of the flashbacks like that. Do people really tell their life story like that? When the two were sitting down drinking (or trying to drink), then yeah, that was a good time. And Meisai giving commentary about how her attempts at psychological warfare were failing was pretty funny. But once again, instead of a fight we just got characters standing still and talking, an obvious budget-saving exercise.]

spoiler[Speaking of the fight scene, we never got a real sense of how dangerous Meisai's technique was. Or even how it was supposed to be effective. So she can throw swords at her opponents; that isn't going to worry an opponent as good as Shichika. She can only throw one or two at a time, and once he realises that they are everywhere it is hard for her to surprise him by pulling a new sword out of "nowhere". Also, the fight was extremely anti-climatic. He just uses his hand to give her a new orifice, but that's about it. And we don't even see it on screen.]

spoiler[What was up with that attack on Togame? She isn't a man, obviously, so why did that Shrine Maiden freak out?]

spoiler[Finally, for this episode's Deviant Blade, Tsurugi, wouldn't it be the most powerful? There are one thousand of them, after all. Or perhaps it/they should be considered a separate class of Shikizaki Kiki's swords. Also, does Tsurugi have the ability to make new blades at whim? And how much power do the one thousand blades possess with relation to the main Tsurugi blade?]

But hey, at least the preview for the next episode looks promising.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
I saw the change to a more sympathetic enemy was good, in fact it may have been better where it was. Though I kind of guesed what was wrong with all the maidens. I guess part of it reminded me of certain Samurai Champloo eps, spoiler[where too good wariors/people have to fight each other to the death and it we may not want either to die. But seeing him fight unhinderd by the fact he had to kill her, was good for showing his resolve and seeing Togame regret was good for showing her concious.]

And it looks we might next see someone with the phrase "you will fall for me", the trailer alone looks cool with spoiler[a shark being sliced symetrically.]
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Yeeeeeah, Katangatari is officialy on my dropped list. I was really hoping this third episode would be an improvement for the better; whether it was or wasn't would be the clincher in deciding whether I was sticking with this bloated, talky tripe or not. If they're going to make us wait an entire month for episodes, they better be damn amazing.

This.....was most certainly not.

Not that there wasn't potential. It's easily the most interesting of the set-ups so far, and without spoiling too much, it actually introduced some intruiging consequences and implications if they were to win(which, of course, they do.) It's just too bad it doesn't go anywhere; they win, the shrine maidens having all but vanished since the fight got underway, and it all gets brushed aside without any of the consequences for taking the swords being shown. Why not just let Mae...whatever her name was live? They say the Deviant blades "poison" their wielders, compelling them to protect them no matter the cost, but none of them seem particularly possesed. The last two were very lucid and reasoned, in fact. Not to mention Shichika's lassiez-faire attitude about killing is sortof...unsettling. It doesn't gel with his personality, or what I've seen of it. But that last part's just a personal nitpick, and not that it matters; it all gets brushed aside in the end.

OOOUUUHHGAGGA, All. That. Talking. Talking at all times. Talking in the beggining. Talking in the middle. Talking(and badly shoehorned-in backstory) in the fight, that boring, unsatisfying fight.(Sorry, Blood-. When it comes to Sentoryuu, Mifune will always be king.) Talking with those painfully pointless Maniwani pussies. Dammit, Nisoisin, you stupid....Show, don't Tell: LEARN. IT. Those bits where that one maiden freaked out on Togame, or when they warmed just ever-so-slightly to Shichika when he helped with chores? Those were good and explained more, faster and were much more entertaining than endless conversations could ever hope to be. There needs to be more of that. The story here held promise, but the storytelling was still more bloated, clunky and amatuerish than a robotic Star Wars Kid.

Whew, ok. Rant: over. Katanagatari: sucks. Interest: lost. OST: on wait list. I feel sorry for you guys. I can't even begin to imagine waiting for, or sitting through, another nine hours of this. ><
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
I feel sorry for you guys. I can't even begin to imagine waiting for, or sitting through, another nine hours of this. ><

That was a great rant SoandSo, and I agree with many of the points you raised. All that talking and yet the storytelling was very substandard. Just goes to prove that it isn't the quantity of words but their quality (not to mention how they are used) that is important.

I will probably watch the rest of Katanagatari, but let's just say I don't hold my breath for each new instalment. I see it at the fansub website I lurk on, I download it, I try to watch it but the audio and video are unsynched, I re-download it, I watch it, I rant, I move on. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
Thought this was the best episode yet. I liked the antagonist in this one and how they dealt with her. It also gave some interesting insight on the mind of Shichika.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
Yeeeeeah, Katangatari is officialy on my dropped list.

Thank Christ. Any chance you could take dtm42 with you?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
But I said I wasn't going to go, therefore SoandSo would have to engage in Machiavellian plots in order to convince me to leave with him/her. Plots which would fail to repeated and hilarious effect, either due to some minor overlooked flaw that invokes Murphy's Law and the force of irony, or because I have the devil's luck. We'll have some sort of Only I can Defeat You rivalry thing going on, often saving one another's bacon in between our duel of wits and mindgames. At the end they'll convince me to go, but as SoandSo would be so used to our Bond of Rivalry, they'll convince me to stay so that they have something to do.

That was tongue-in-cheek.

You know, if an Anime was made about that story, it would be a far more entertaining and accomplished than Katanagatari.

That was not tongue in cheek.

But I'll stay anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Then you leave me no choice but to hope you drop dead. Soon. And painfully.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the irrational hate for the series either,.but if you don't have the attention span required for the series then don't watch it. The 3rd episode was a nice change of pace. It was good that spoiler[Togane got something to do in this] but kinda sad that spoiler[the bandit girl left Shichika no choice other than to kill her.] Sad
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
SoandSo wrote:
Yeeeeeah, Katangatari is officialy on my dropped list.

Thank Christ. Any chance you could take dtm42 with you?

Now why would I wanna do that? After putting up with this terribleness for so long, I feel it only fair to leave at least one person who finds this tripe as insufferable as I do to rant and bi*** for it's entire, mindlessly extended run, just to prolong your misery. That's just how Chessmasters roll. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but dtm42 loves RahXephon too and since you are both fans of that half-baked pile of NGE Lite crap, I thought maybe you'd like to hang out. Think about it.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, but dtm42 loves RahXephon too and since you are both fans of that half-baked pile of NGE Lite crap, I thought maybe you'd like to hang out. Think about it.

We'll start a "Good Taste" club and toast over tea and crumpets and laugh at the philistines who fawn over an old, overrated, go-nowhere trash-heap about insufferably whiny pissants and the Reebok-wearing robomoms who love them(but only for five minutes at a time. Even mothers have their limits). Cheerio! Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The tea and toast crumpets sound lovely but do we HAVE to talk about RahXephon?
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The tea and toast crumpets sound lovely but do we HAVE to talk about RahXephon?

You assume you're invited? Psssshaahhhfine, we can discuss...that yellow tumor-y thing in your avie. Don't forget to extend your pinky first when placing your glass on the table.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13