• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Gets Trigun TV Anime Series on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
That's fantastic news. Trigun is one of my all time favorites. I'm torn though. It's one of the few series I'd actually consider re-buying on BD. However, I don't know if it's worth it if it's just an upscale.

hikaru004 wrote:
Well, the anime deviated from the manga a lot (peeked at wiki), so they shouldn't even bother with a telecine. If they're going to spend a lot of money, might as well do a "Trigun Ultimate" ( a version of Trigun that was actually faithful to the manga).

Except the anime is a lot better. The changes are primarily what made the anime brilliant and the manga only decent. Sticking to the manga would be a major step down.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
This is the greatest news ever! Trigun is one of my favorites. Good to know I'll finally be able to buy it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Except the anime is a lot better. The changes are primarily what made the anime brilliant and the manga only decent. Sticking to the manga would be a major step down.

Really? You think making the Gung Ho Guns just a bunch of henchmen rather than having pasts and motivations was better? spoiler[You thought it was great to remove a lot about Project Seeds and the fact that there are ships coming towards the planet to save everyone? Or that it was okay to just have Knives be some ordinary final boss rather than have his airship and absorb other Plants?

Was it better that they kept out the Eye of Michael stuff, too?]

I like both versions, myself, but I think a new Trigun anime based closer to the manga would be welcomed by many.

Edit: Covered up spoilers!

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Really? You think making the Gung Ho Guns just a bunch of henchmen rather than having pasts and motivations was better? spoiler[You thought it was great to remove a lot about Project Seeds and the fact that there are ships coming towards the planet to save everyone? Or that it was okay to just have Knives be some ordinary final boss rather than have his airship and absorb other Plants?]

Was it better that they kept out the Eye of Michael stuff, too?

I like both versions, myself, but I think a new Trigun anime based closer to the manga would be welcomed by many.

Wow...spoilers. Thanks.

[EDIT: If you're going to call out somebody for not using spoiler tags, please have the decency to add them if you quote their post. Otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose.~Zalis]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Also regarding the Geneon Trigun Remix DVDs: they still have the VHS-era hardsubs on the ending song, just like the old DVDs. So maybe Funi can at least do a soft secondary subtitle track and ditch the hardsubs.

Otaku Teahouse wrote:
If I had to guess, the bluray will be an upscale remastering. I do know that there is original film stock, it's an old enough series for it. Best way to tell usually is to look for any show that's widescreen that came out before HDTVs, and those are usually the digitally made shows with no HD master (if someone an prove me wrong, please do, since I'm not completely sure).
But... there are plenty of 4:3 shows made digitally between 1999-2004 that are also not HD. The first widescreen TV anime that I know of was Betterman, which aired a year after Trigun in the Spring 1999 season. But I have no idea if that was film or digital.

samuelp wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

vulcanraven01 wrote:
Nice license rescue, although what annoys me is why FUNi insist on putting out Blu-ray releases for shows that won't benefit from it while they have plenty of shows under their license already that have native HD masters waiting to be taken advantage of.
Maybe the Japanese won't let them, due to reverse importation fears?

That's possible, but almost a moot point.

Doing a new HD film transfer requires specialized equipment that I'm quite sure Funi doesn't own. They invested in HD equipment for Blu-ray production but I highly doubt they have any film-transfer equipment themselves.
Funi would have to fund a local Japanese telecine which would be horribly expensive... And again, this assumes the show was on film in the first place.
I'm sure you're right about that. However, I assume vulcanraven was talking about Funi doing Blu-Ray upscales of early/mid 00s "made digitally in SD" anime, such as Ouran, Champloo, FLCL, FMP, Tsubasa, Burst Angel, etc., while not putting out Blu-Rays for more recent licenses that have HD masters.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Funimation said that their release will be the Remix version. What exactly is the difference between the Remix and the original version of Trigun?

As with the X and Cowboy Bebop remix versions, the sound was remixed to be in Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Evangelion 1.11, FMA Brotherhood, Claymore, Dragon Ball Kai... man, they're killing me with Blu-Rays this year.

I hope the picture quality is a nice as DBZ Kai.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But... there are plenty of 4:3 shows made digitally between 1999-2004 that are also not HD. The first widescreen TV anime that I know of was Betterman, which aired a year after Trigun in the Spring 1999 season. But I have no idea if that was film or digital.

I'm pretty certain Betterman was film, but with some CG shots (like Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop, other Sunrise productions). I can't be absolutely certain, because I haven't watched it in ages and sold my LDs of it years ago. Noir was definitely done on film in 16:9.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Sorry, I should clarify. What I meant to say was that I find the anime does much better with the material it covers. It does an amazing job of drawing you in and introducing you to its characters in a very casual way and slowly dropping details that develop them and explain the back-story. The manga just sort of dumps everything on you from the start. It's a somewhat subtle difference but I feel that it's what makes the anime truly outstanding.

Now if you want to compare the anime to the entire manga, it's a lot harder to compare. Of course the manga is much longer so it has a bit more depth in certain areas and the story is much longer. If I were to pick which I think is better I'd still definitely say the anime but certainly the manga has it's own merits. For that reason, I wouldn't be against a more accurate adaptation. I just think it probably wouldn't be better than the existing one. Hence why I totally object to the idea that restoring the existing one is a waste of time and they should just do a new adaptation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
Oh. Well... I... agree!

Damn it. Mad

The biggest reason I'd want a closer adaptation to the manga is to see some of those action scenes from the manga that are difficult to quite make out, but in animation. I'm thinking it would make them a bit clearer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
gunshottrigun wrote:
Hopefully the release includes all the Remix's additions. I don't see a chance in me rebuying Trigun a 3rd time, but it is good news for newer fans who didn't have a chance to pick it up.

Absolutely. Or for folks like myself who, for whatever reason, didn't or weren't able to buy the set until now. Very Happy
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:17 am Reply with quote
Was Trigun full-frame or widescreen? If there's no wide-screen anamorphic picture for it, what's the point of Blu-ray?

I held out on Trigun Remix cause I was hoping for a boxset, that never materialized. So I lucked out. Until now. I've never seen the series in its entirety, I can't wait to correct that problem.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Was Trigun full-frame or widescreen? If there's no wide-screen anamorphic picture for it, what's the point of Blu-ray?

I held out on Trigun Remix cause I was hoping for a boxset, that never materialized. So I lucked out. Until now. I've never seen the series in its entirety, I can't wait to correct that problem.

I'd have to pull out my DVDs to be completely sure, but I'm 99% sure that it was fullscreen.

As for the point of Blu-ray, if you get an appropriate source, you can get higher video quality. If not, well, they can sell it as Blu-ray and get more money out of you (though they might end up with a higher quality picture even without getting HD source).

I don't see what widescreen has to do with Blu-ray. You can have widescreen whether you have Blu-ray or not, and you can have fullscreen with Blu-ray just as easily. The main point of Blu-ray from the customers perspective is higher quality video. The main point from the producer's perspective is more sales.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
This is great news. Trigun is one of my favorite anime shows. But I bought the series back when I was in high school and don't see myself repurchasing it. Maybe if it includes good bonus material, I might pick it up.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The biggest reason I'd want a closer adaptation to the manga is to see some of those action scenes from the manga that are difficult to quite make out, but in animation. I'm thinking it would make them a bit clearer.

I'd feel the same way too... except that I've liked neither of the "more faithful" adaptations so far (Hellsing: Ultimate and FMA: Brotherhood), and I worry that one for Trigun would disappoint me the same way. Sad

Anyway, I too have the remix versions and don't have much incentive to buy the series again. But if it keeps one of the first series I ever watched (hence the nickname) alive in the American consciousness, it'll be worth it. Trigun may not be the best series out there as a whole, but it has some truly amazing moments in it that should not be forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6