• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kamisama Kiss Episodes 1 - 7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Thank you tuxedocat. I thought the comparison to Inuyasha was pretty obvious given the canine eared supernatural bishie with a jerk-ish attitude begrudgingly (at first) protecting a sweet priestess/goddess human girl who is strong-willed and manages to assert some kind of involuntary control over the bishie. Obviously, there are differences between the shows. This is not copyright infringement we are talking about here. However, I think it is silly to object to the comparison itself.

Yeah, I think it is much more of an homage than anything. Tomoe's personality and backstory of wildness and pillaging is more reminiscent of, say, Sesshomaru without the daddy issues. It's actually parodied a little bit, since Mikage's choice for a shinshi was a spoiler[fox, since he didn't like DOGS.] Laughing

Speaking of Mikage, anyone else notice that spoiler[he is always secretly hanging around]?

I have this theory that spoiler[ Mikage has obviously grown as a deity past the confines of the shrine, and his current goal is for Tomoe to eventually take his place. Naname was installed as a calculated move for Tomoe's growth, and to teach Tomoe things like mercy, compassion, and perseverance. Naname, being human, is much more of a finite being, and her presence is already making Tomeo confront his own issues about his past. It is kind of obvious that Tomoe has difficulty dealing with some of the more painful memories of his past. He will need to possess that understanding in order to serve the prayers of petitioners who come to shrine.]

I'm not sure if Mikage knows that spoiler[Naname is the obvious reincarnation of Tomoe's lost love. If so, that makes his placement of her as a land god a bit on the manipulative side. That being said, I don't think his actions hold any malicious intent, though I think his focus is more Tomoe-centric and that Naname is a means to an end.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
spoiler[That being said, I don't think his actions hold any malicious intent, though I think his focus is more Tomoe-centric and that Naname is a means to an end.]

spoiler[Well, Mikage gave her a free place to stay with free meals included, as well as powers, so even if she's just a pawn she's still getting something out of it. And sure, being a goddess means she's now a target, but that's why Tomoe is around, and he's pretty darn strong.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
spoiler[That being said, I don't think his actions hold any malicious intent, though I think his focus is more Tomoe-centric and that Naname is a means to an end.]

spoiler[Well, Mikage gave her a free place to stay with free meals included, as well as powers, so even if she's just a pawn she's still getting something out of it. And sure, being a goddess means she's now a target, but that's why Tomoe is around, and he's pretty darn strong.]

I actually think he likes Naname and is rooting for her. Though I also think his motivations are a bit unclear at this point. I think he sees that she is accomplishing things with Tomoe that weren't happening when Tomoe was left alone in charge of the shrine.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
It's basically a win-win situation. Tomoe can deal with his past and Nanami gets a place she can truly call home (I doubt her dead-beat father provided her with much love and affection). In fact, it's win-win-win, because Mikage no longer has to worry about the shrine now that Nanami is helping Tomoe to look after it. Kisses all around.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I actually think he likes Naname and is rooting for her. Though I also think his motivations are a bit unclear at this point.

Throwing in my two cents... Remember back in episode #2 when Tomoe explicitly stated that Mikage was a god spoiler[of matchmaking]? I'm thinking that his motivations are pretty clear, though we aren't yet privy to what - if any - reasons he had for selecting Nanami in particular.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I keep waiting for Nanami to use her powers, perhaps on behalf of a couple of her friends. The tall one clearly is desperate to find a boyfriend.

While I find this show quite entertaining in an unserious way, I do wish we'd see more evidence of Nanami as a kami and not just as a human girl.

Oh, and this week's version of the ED, Kamisama Onegai, is hilariously performed by Kurama. "Sayonara, Baby!" I've read that it is a cover of a song from the 1980s, but I can't find the original anywhere on the web to give it a listen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2