• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Evaluates Sale of Funimation in Current Quarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
The thing that worries me the most in all of this (obviously besides "who will buy/merge with Funimation) is what happens to Funi's licensing.

It might affect the kind of up-front fees that Funimation is willing to pay.

In a 2004 kind of scenario, which companies bidding higher up front fees to land the rights, it could cause problems ... but in that scenario, it would be some other distributor getting the rights, just a shift in share of the market.

And that was then, this is now. For licenses that are granted on a royalty-only basis, it wouldn't seem like it would have much impact, unless uncertainty about Funimation's future direction made Japanese rights holders nervous.

And Japanese rights owners will be hearing more about potential buyers than the public will be. If they like what they hear, there would't be much impact at all on royalties-only licenses.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Bang Zoom needs to hang up being an independant studio and offer themselfs for sale to Bandai. ... Instead of shutting down in 2011.

Where did the idea of BZ shutting down in 2011 come from? Anime dubbing is down to only 10% of their work. The possibility that BZ won't be dubbing anime anymore doesn't mean BZ would be shutting down.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
What happens now will ether ensure the Survival or Destruction of the industry.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Here's my two cents.

Your "two cents" is the reason why you were banned from AnimeOnDVD.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
"The sky is fallng-the sky is falling"-so said Chicken Little. So what if Navarre sells Funimation? Gen Fukanaga sold his company to them and continued to run it-for the most part. Funimation has too large a presence in the us anime market to just fold its collective tent and disappear.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
So basically...Funimation is performing okay but wants to expand in a way Navarre isn't interested in so they're looking to sell them to someone who is. Sounds like it's probably not the end of the world. I suppose it could be bad if they end up with a bad buyer but it could be they'll get someone better suited to helping them than Navarre. It's really all just idle speculation at this point until some clear potential buyers emerge.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Funimation's sales and earnings have been declining for some time

What's your basis for that? Is that just your own assumption based on anecdotal evidence or are there some hard facts out there that indicate this?

_V_ wrote:
God help us all.

Hey V...I hate to break it to you but you are not actually an Alan Moore character and this does not get funnier every time you post it.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Where did the idea of BZ shutting down in 2011 come from? Anime dubbing is down to only 10% of their work. The possibility that BZ won't be dubbing anime anymore doesn't mean BZ would be shutting down.

Exactly, they may stop dubbing anime in 2011 but that doesn't mean they'll stop dubbing video games like the BlazBlue series.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I didn't know if people really noticed that I say that a lot. Honestly, it just happens to be my real-life instant reaction to bad news these days. I'll try to say something more articulate...
Graddick

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I sure can't wait until this thread fills up with worthless speculation based on world class ignorance, along with the inevitable "This is what's wrong with the industry and I know how to fix everything" dialogue. Actually, it's not a dialogue, since that word implies there are two sides in the discussion rather than a thousand lone voices shouting into the void.

Why not just take the statement at its word and be patient for more developments later?
calimike

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I think Funimation is a good fit with Geneon Universal Entertainment Japan. I wish WWE buy Funimation someday Laughing
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
It's not the end of the world but I think it's an undeniable sign that Funi's financial performance is such that the parent company thinks it'd be better to sell them now than to stick around and see what the future may hold.

That's better than them doing so bad that they just close up shop though.

I was reading their (Navarre) latest annual report and a lot of it is doom and gloom as it relates to Funimation but some bright spots Some bright spots are that they know their weaknesses and, just from casually browsing ANN, I've seen them announce things that directly combat their weakness such as non-anime licensing, increased television exposure and investing in digital delivery methods. Hopefully all of that works for the best and they don't go the way of the dodo.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
I wish WWE buy Funimation someday Laughing

I know you're joking but that's still a scary thought there especially with the direction WWE has went in recent years (no blood rule = Y7-rated NOT PG-rated as they claim to be).
batou37

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much such an entity goes for? Anyone wanna throw in on it if they do go up for sale? Seems like it'd be a fun type of investment to make.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Exactly, they may stop dubbing anime in 2011 but that doesn't mean they'll stop dubbing video games like the BlazBlue series.

You can thank the shareholders for making Wrestling as what it is today.

But back to Funimation's future, I hope Funi will get an new sponsors possibly Viz or Sunrise that's the two companies who are interested and soon for a big one, If sales go up farther. I'm kind of hoping Sunrise will do it and make good dubs and bring good VA's from California, New York and Canada. That could be a real possibility in the future.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Bang Zoom needs to hang up being an independant studio and offer themselfs for sale to Bandai. ... Instead of shutting down in 2011.

It anime dubbing is only 10% of the work BZ does then why was there a need for the CEO to cry on his blog and in an interview about his little corner of anime.

As for Navarre I am just curious on the asking price or cash value they believe Funimation has now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6