• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: E-Book Pub Bitway Invests US$750,000 in Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I can't stand how websites that gain a following through illegal means are the ones benefiting from legit streams and such now, like Crunchyroll and if OpenManga succeeds, MangaHelpers.

Stand it or not, it's still happening.

It's not like they're doing bad things anymore. I mean, Christ. CR's been legit for 2 freaking years and do only good for the industry. Please, let's move on.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
In 2009, it seemed the majority were blocked, but CR must have brought the UK distributor or broadcaster that was stonewalling streams around, because it doesn't happen a lot.

It is unlikely that a distributor within the UK was responsible for any effective "stone walling". If CR had made a deal with Beez, Manga or MVM, it would have been announced through local channels.

Certainly, CR provides a more equal service than it used to, though I remain sceptical about this project. The wording of the article implies a limited business model — something that is, unfortunately, most recommendable for new ventures such as this.

Certain means of access still remain for those who cannot benefit from this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
agila61 wrote:
In 2009, it seemed the majority were blocked, but CR must have brought the UK distributor or broadcaster that was stonewalling streams around, because it doesn't happen a lot.

It is unlikely that a distributor within the UK was responsible for any effective "stone walling". If CR had made a deal with Beez, Manga or MVM, it would have been announced through local channels.

Something has definitely changed with respect to whichever rights holder was blocking UK streaming. I have no idea which rights holder was holding things up, so I couldn't guess which rights holder has changed their position.

The change in position can, of course, be from "not sure" to "permit", since if the rights are held, CR cannot stream to the region until permission is granted.

Mind, there does not need to be a formal deal, if the blocking rights holder decides that blocking the stream only leaves the field open to leech streaming sites, while at least with CR they get the Amazon link on the series and episode pages.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Something has definitely changed with respect to whichever rights holder was blocking UK streaming. I have no idea which rights holder was holding things up, so I couldn't guess which rights holder has changed their position.

In virtue of the balance of power seen from our perspective, this rights holder would have to have been Japanese. As this very article demonstrates, they are the ones most able to decide who gets what.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
I can't stand how websites that gain a following through illegal means are the ones benefiting from legit streams and such now, like Crunchyroll and if OpenManga succeeds, MangaHelpers.

It's not like they're doing bad things anymore. I mean, Christ. CR's been legit for 2 freaking years and do only good for the industry. Please, let's move on.

Plus US anime and manga itself comes from not so noble origins. Bootleggers or heavy editing of original content? Content inspired from a time of war and depression? At this point, I've forgiven CR.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Nah, it's better reading if they continue to hold a grudge. Razz

Add One Piece manga to the list of wish titles too.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
agila61 wrote:

In virtue of the balance of power seen from our perspective, this rights holder would have to have been Japanese. As this very article demonstrates, they are the ones most able to decide who gets what.

It all is directly or indirectly from the original rights holder, but if they sign a contract with a cable channel, and the contract terms imply that the cable channel has to permit streaming in its countries of operation, then streaming rights cannot be granted without permission.

Its reasonably clear that when a series can stream to everywhere except a couple of R3 countries and every country in Europe that Animax-Europe operates in, that permission is needed from Animax-Europe which has not been forthcoming.

AFAICT, these are not rights agreements that come up for renewal on an annual basis. And neither are agreements likely to all come up for renewal at about the same time. If a given country switches from under 25% region access to over 80% streaming access, some existing rights holder or holders have been persuaded there's no commercial reason to block legit streaming into their markets.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
as a scantalator who works on series text heavy series that never will or have already been dropped by publishers, I think this is an excellent idea. there are a TON of excellent series that will not get licensed for a volume release due to probable low sales, having 20 text bubbles a page ( not an exaggeration read tantei gakuen Q).
Also this could be a god send for Light novels, I could see crunchy trying to get the Durarara light novels (and the baccano ones while they are at it).
I could also be a great way for publishers to continue releasing series that would otherwise be dropped via print only. also scntalation of one chapter does take a lot less work then one episode.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

"There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance." [Jesus quote]

Manga and light novels are a start, but the real breakthrough will be if/when Bitway opens up their library of gravure idol photoshoots so I can stop having to "look for them in certain places on the internet."
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Manga and light novels are a start, but the real breakthrough will be if/when Bitway opens up their library of gravure idol photoshoots so I can stop having to "look for them in certain places on the internet."

QFT. Very Happy

Bikini clad girls win teh internets.
ShinK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Bitway's announcement, the company aims to work with Crunchyroll to build a comic-distribution platform overseas, with an emphasis on the United States and Canada.
Wow, they fail before even starting. Crunchyroll still has to make most of its shows available to non-english speaking countries and now another investor wants to do the same?
The only currently airing simulcasts I can watch on CR are a total of five shows (Naruto, Fairy Tail, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, Kaasan and Shin Koihime Musou << I see no quality series there). They totally focus on NA, Canada and UK at the moment and that's the reason I am not a paying member anymore and hope for the success of OpenManga.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
ShinK wrote:
The only currently airing simulcasts I can watch on CR are a total of five shows (Naruto, Fairy Tail, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, Kaasan and Shin Koihime Musou << I see no quality series there). They totally focus on NA, Canada and UK at the moment and that's the reason I am not a paying member anymore and hope for the success of OpenManga.

Well, North and South America and the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Iceland, Sweden, Norway Denmark and Sweden, in any event.

Too bad there are no country proxy servers capable of streaming video that would allow you to be from the Netherlands instead of Germany when you visited Crunchyroll.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

"There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance." [Jesus quote]

Except I doubt many people believe there was any actual repentance in CR reinventing itself as a legitimate business. The more cynical might even argue that it was CR's intention from start-up to build its customerbase through illegal acts to the point where Japanese companies would be forces to deal with it as a serious player.

Either way, CR seems to be here to stay. As much as I detest the company, if it picks up a couple of good shows this summer, I suppose I'll subscribe. I just hope the Japanese producers are getting their fair share of whatever revenue is generated.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Except I doubt many people believe there was any actual repentance in CR reinventing itself as a legitimate business .... I just hope the Japanese producers are getting their fair share of whatever revenue is generated.

As far as income to the creators of the works go ...
* "Company A" that genuinely wants to do the right thing, but just is not in a position to do so ..
* "Company B" that wants to do the right thing and works out a way to do so ...
* "Company C" that doesn't really care whether they do the right thing or not, but does the right thing because its the smart business decision ...

Pragmatically, the reason its debatable whether CR is "B" or "C" is that there is little difference in behavior. But both "Company B" and "Company C" are better news for the creators of the works than "Company A". With over half of CR's revenues goes to the right owners, that's the important part.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
From a pragmatic standpoint, certainly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4