• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Vowlesemort Lives!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bingal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
Moribito is possibly one of my favorite anime from the last decade, if not of all time. I really don't understand how stuff like that doesn't sell sufficiently in Japan when it does so well in the US.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What I was talking about when I mentioned the "Can't wait" thing - and I'm pretty sure I stated this very clearly - was a specific situation where I saw something legitimately, it was then made unavailable to me, so I preordered the Bluray set and then downloaded the episodes so I could enjoy them in the interim

Yeah, I understand that. I just didn't really see how that made a difference. I mean, it seemed like you guys were pretty critical of people just for not having the patience to wait a while. It didn't matter if the person bought the thing when it did come out. So yeah. I'm not really clear how you see this as different. I would think that having seen it before would make it easier to just wait. Again, I'm not trying to attack you here. Rather, I am trying to suggest that maybe you should cut some of the impatient people who read scans some slack. It seems to me that they're not acting much different than you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Rather, I am trying to suggest that maybe you should cut some of the impatient people who read scans some slack. It seems to me that they're not acting much different than you.

Let me put it this way: I have absolutely no problem with someone who reads the One Piece scans every week and then faithfully buys the Viz releases.

Or even buys the Japanese tankoubons. You're supporting the work while still satisfying your cravings. If I go to someone's house and they're talking about the latest chapter of One Piece they downloaded and they also have a giant shelf full of One Piece manga volumes, hey, that's cool with me. That's always been my attitude.

We run into problems when you have a giant army of people out there who not only refuse to support the legal release for a whole bunch of really hollow reasons, but demand that they be given unfettered access to illegal versions of the material.

You know, before we started that discussion I had never really thought about it in terms of "covering my carbon footprint" - but ultimately that is how I feel about it. If you're doing your part to help, it's all good.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
We run into problems when you have a giant army of people out there who not only refuse to support the legal release for a whole bunch of really hollow reasons, but demand that they be given unfettered access to illegal versions of the material.

You know, before we started that discussion I had never really thought about it in terms of "covering my carbon footprint" - but ultimately that is how I feel about it. If you're doing your part to help, it's all good.

Ah okay. I see what you're saying now. Brian seemed to be saying that he thought people were ridiculous for not just waiting for the R1 release period or at least that's how it came across. I guess that was later though. Not in the initial part you were agreeing with.

I agree with your 'carbon footprint' analogy. That's how I feel as well. To me, piracy itself is not a problem at least in the direct sense. Unlike...say, shoplifting, no direct harm is done. As a result, piracy can be a fantastic tool of convenience especially for fans of more obscure or foreign works like anime. What is the problem is people not supporting the shows. As long as people do that they're not creating a problem.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how a little transparency can go a long way. Though I had a suspicion on how Zac and Justin viewed "piracy", it was still nice to hear.

Given the jab at hypocrisy rests in my lap, I'll apologize for going overboard despite having the understanding. This doesn't clear up my original feelings though, because it's still a touchy subject.

I know people feel it's okay to turn a blind eye if those who view contribute down the road, but the original issue still remains that someone is capitalizing on these sites and this is the crux of the whole debate.

If there's ever a coalition by the DVD industry to go after fan sub sites, I'm done buying DVDs. Don't worry, though, because my monies will go 100% back to figures while I watch anime for free and contribute to the owners of the site rather than the industry. It's good.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
I haven't listened to this yet, but I will as I work today.

I just wanted to comment on how amused I was at the title of the podcast since the Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction opens today at Universal Studio Resort (yeah, I was watching the coverage of it on the Today Show this morning... my inner geek squealed). Is this a coincidence or intentional?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear the Moribito love. I understand both Justin's enthusiasm for it and Zac's reservations. Balsa evoked an interesting reaction in me: I'm not sure if I'd rather have her as a mom or as a girlfriend. Oedipal Complexes aside, I don't think I've ever felt that way about an anime character before.

Very interesting piracy chat. I was impressed with Zac's commitment vis-a-vis buying a theatre ticket for an indie movie he would be downloading.

I suspect I'm like a lot of anime fans: a buyer/leech hybrid. I certainly buy a fair amount of anime, manga and I'm getting into the merch side of things too (mostly figures and wallscrolls). However, I do stream fansubs of whichever currently airing shows I'm interested in (assuming I can't stream legit through CR or some other source) and I do stream rips of R1 releases. Sometimes that results in a sale, anyway. For example, I sampled the first few dubs of Witchblade and decided I needed more large 2D breasts in my collection, so I ordered the Viridian Collection during TRSI's recent Funi sale.

However, there's also examples like with Maburaho, where I've sampled a few eppies which convinced me that I don't want to own it.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
Don't waste your time with Moribito, Zac - go and watch Kure-nai instead. It did it much, much better. And without the Gibli.

Last edited by loka on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

3) Zac: Drink a bottle of Tussin, you sound horrible, mate. Flu? Resp. Inf.?

Yeah, apologies for this; I was feeling horrible when we recorded but we were out of time. I'll be bright and sunny next time, promise.

No worries. And no apologies are necessary. We all get sick, even Skeletor.
FormerFansubber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
That was a good listen about the piracy thing. I would not be into anime like I am today if it were not for fansubs. I bought stuff just about every year that I was a fan, but it wasn't until after college when I was working that I decided to stop downloading fansubs of shows and try to do legit routes. I even went as far as to try and purchase everything I had watched fansubbed that had a US release, however it came to a point where stuff was either out of print or the company was closed by the time I got around to it in my purchasing order. I ended up not bothering with most of those titles since it didn't help the creators by buying those used. I did eventually get to a point where I looked at my shelves and was like "I"m not going to watch that again," so I sold the title for a loss. Some of them I had not even watched since I bought it on DVD, lol. I've recently got around to importing a few titles from Japan that I wish to own that I enjoyed fansubbed that will not be getting a release here. I do that to try and cover my carbon footprint and also to help support the industry. I've also spent a lot of time picking up rare out of print titles recently before they are outrageously priced.

EDIT: Spelling...

Last edited by FormerFansubber on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:00 am; edited 5 times in total
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
After playing Super Robot Taisen, I fell in love with it, and I began to notice that it and things like it would never come out in english unless people began to buy it. So I decided that it would start with me. The result is that I have bought all three games that have come out, and I was so dedicated to this type of things that I bought Sakura Wars V just to support it.

First off, let me say it's nice to see another SRW fan here besides me. Second off, let me say it's nice to see another SRW fan who actually loves the series enough to buy and support it! Smile
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
Good show the piracy discussion it's nuanced and thought-provoking.
The interview with Jim Vowles was also extremely good also.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
I actually really enjoyed doing that interview. Of course these guys are pros, but it helped that I know both of them and that we've chatted casually before -- so it was like hanging out.

I finally listened to it today -- it's a very surreal experience listening to yourself. You never sound like you think you do. And my Bawlmer accent peeks out every so often. Smile
Peroxid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Great anncast, really enjoyed it.

I'm so sad that where I live (Portugal) aren't any con's, I really envy you Americans!! You should feel lucky instead of always complaining.

As of the piracy, as most of free and legal streaming sites aren't allowed for my country, and as one can't find any anime at sell in stores, everyone here ends up downloading stuff. Ordering from Amazon isn't also a solution because the shipping is ridiculous (it's something like 5€ per item).

As for me personally, I've come to see less and less anime, and the ones I see are old and most of them weren't ever released in any language other that Japanese. So here my only solution to watch it, is the download it, if it exists online, since most of them don't even are online. For example to watch Senya Ichiya Monogatari, a terribly under appreciated Masterpiece by Osamu Tezuka, I had to download an Italian Dub of it!

I believe that American Companies should start on releasing and re-release more old stuff. As just a minority likes this show, but most of them are hardcore fans, I think that it would be nice to release this old stuff in Special Limited Editions.

Just a fan opinion though, I'm no pro in this matter Smile

jvowles wrote:
it's a very surreal experience listening to yourself. You never sound like you think you do.

Haha so true!! Congrats for the interview!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Man, almost thought you guys had forgotten the Heat Guy J reference this time. Kept me on the edge of my seat! Laughing

I really wanna check out Moribito, but the box set's so expensive! I've heard people mention a cheaper release that was some sort of Walmart exclusive, but I've never been able to find it at my locations... Wah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7