• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gaoing the Distance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'll certainly see Scott Pilgrim eventually. To be honest though, I'd be more excited about it if I had a clue what it was about. Nearest I can tell from the trailers it's about Micheal Cera falling in love with this girl, Ramona, who apparently gets around a lot and has rather questionable taste in men because she has a whole bunch of violent ex boyfriends who come and assault her new boyfriend. That sounds to me more like an episode of Cops than a comic book but hey, I'll give it a chance.

Quote:
² Genshiken, Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, and Tweeny Witches might all be Shelf Worthy. OK, so Tweeny Witches might only be Rental Shelf, but it's by Studio 4°C, and I love them.

Yeah, Media Blasters has some real gems. I'd also highly recommend people pick up Otogi Zoshi and of course Berserk if you haven't yet.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
firoooooo wrote:

In any case, even if the girl in charge of shelf life thinks the movies are better because they are edited, just because she can't be bothered to read more than 100 pages and needs everything simplified, she shouldn't be commenting if a book is good or not, her opinion has no credibility whatsoever, stick to the anime please (and that is not working for her either) pfff, I should have listened to my instincts the second I finished reading her absurd comment on Hetalia... ANN, you should re-evaluate your staff.... actually, cross that off, you should re-evaluate the Shelf Life column, everyone else is awesome!

Was all that insulting really necessary?
GuyvarIII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
Guyver … Perishable?

I’m a fan of “The Guyver”. It might be because I grew up enjoying the US cartoon “Real Ghostbusters”, as well as the sentai “Power Rangers”, and kaiju “Godzilla”, that I don’t automatically consider slime covered, drooling, tentacle clad monsters to be Hentai. I like the 2005 TV series Zoanoid designs, as they are a throw back to the earlier Guyver Manga and OVA designs. I’ve actually been somewhat in mourning for decent demon designs in the post acetate area of Anime. Naruto’s giant frogs, and Bleach’s Hollows don’t have the drawn details to match the monsters from titles such as: “Maryu Senki”, “Genocyber”, “Bio-Hunter”, “Demon City”, “Wicked City”, “Blood Reign”, “Devilman”, “Jushin Liger”, “Silent Mobius”, “Takegami”, “Yotoden”, and their like.

Although I prefer the 1980s and 90s animated versions, what I most enjoy about the Guyver story is how it depicts the entire normal everyday world as being a thin veneer over something monstrously hideous and scary, and this is still true for the TV series. Unbeknownst to all of us, we’re all literally, latent monsters. Even though our hero is afraid that his next enemy could be anyone; an ordinary salaryman, himself, or spoiler[his own loving father whom he seeks to protect], Sho must “man up” and face this real world. I think this idea will always really connect with the male pre-teen to teenage audience at which this show is aimed.

But the series can also still be enjoyed as just a fun, Sunday Afternoon, good-guys vs. bad-guys, monster of the week, Sentai-esc show.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
If you don't want the stackpak, why don't you just get one of these instead? This is a little bigger than the Moribito stackpak, but that's mostly because that's smaller than the standard multi-disc case. According to DuelLadyS from another thread, it's barely noticeable (she uses a different case, but I'm sure they're the same dimensions).

Thanks for posting that, all this hate on the Moribito stackpak case has me paranoid about mine. All my discs are intact, but since I don't have the time (or will) to marathon it, I'd end up loading and unloading the darn thing a few times.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about MB too. I really want Zetsubou, as well as the Genshiken LiteBoxes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
Scott Pilgim is a live action version of an OEL inspired by various manga tropes and cliché. Make of that as you will, like Marmite you'll either love it, or hate it. Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
Thanks for posting that, all this hate on the Moribito stackpak case has me paranoid about mine.

It's not about hate, it's about taste. KoH has the taste for one thing, Tuor_of_Gondolin another, I myself (completely original) have another.

On the other hand they're people who are totally satisfied with the stack-pack. To me this is fine so as long as they pay for it and it is not a bootleg.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 am Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:

Thanks for posting that, all this hate on the Moribito stackpak case has me paranoid about mine. All my discs are intact, but since I don't have the time (or will) to marathon it, I'd end up loading and unloading the darn thing a few times.

A lot of people don't like stack packs. I have no problems with them, but then again I don't keep my DVD's in their original cases so that's probably why I have no problem with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
After reading your piece though, I do have one slight nitpick about that opening paragraph. As it's written, it makes it sound like Say Anything was directed by John Hughes. While Say Anything is an awesome movie, and it's one of my favorite movies of all-time, it wasn't directed by John Hughes. It was directed by Cameron Crowe.

Yeah, I thought about that but never got around to clarifying the opening. I meant to say something like "Say Anything in addition John Hughes movies..."

Sailor S wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

Did you see it?

I wouldn't be saying I hated it if I hadn't. My friends wanted to see it, so I went along with them. Did not care for it one bit.

I was wondering if you'd actually seen it or not, since you were able to so concisely dismiss the film in two words: hipster garbage. You could've drawn that conclusion from watching the trailer or derisively flipping through one of the comics.

Was there something specific that you didn't like about the film, or was it just so offensively outside of your non-hipster demographic that you couldn't bear it? Since this is an anime forum I don't want to ask you to define the terms "hipster" and "garbage"... except really I do want to ask that.

We spend a lot of time in these forums hashing through subjective definitions of "moe" and "tsundere" so I am interested in hearing some definitions of "hipster" as well. My friends toss that term around all the time, usually in a derisive way. I often wonder if there are regional variations on the term.

firoooooo wrote:
I can't believe the Harry Potter diss... Hallows is a freaking good book, and, granted, it's super long, but I was not for a minute tired of it, had to read it in one day...

In any case, even if the girl in charge of shelf life thinks the movies are better because they are edited, just because she can't be bothered to read more than 100 pages and needs everything simplified, she shouldn't be commenting if a book is good or not, her opinion has no credibility whatsoever, stick to the anime please (and that is not working for her either)

I have a name, you know, and it is written at the top of the column.

Hallows is not a good book. Length isn't the problem. I don't mind reading long books, so long as the story is good. The fourth book was my second favorite after the first book, and #4 is quite long. The narrative structure of the final book is terrible. The protagonists are physically removed from the action for most of the story!

I think Rowling suffered from a George Lucas problem by the time she got to the end of her series. That is to say, when you're a new author/filmmaker, you're willing to accept a lot of outside advice and help and criticism. Once you're too famous, rich, and successful, you're surrounded by yes-men who won't bother to tell you when your story sucks. The more money you're making off a property, I suspect the less willing people are to give you critical editorial feedback. That's my conspiracy theory, anyway.

I am curious to know how anime is "not working" for me.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
It's not about hate, it's about taste. KoH has the taste for one thing, Tuor_of_Gondolin another, I myself (completely original) have another.

On the other hand they're people who are totally satisfied with the stack-pack. To me this is fine so as long as they pay for it and it is not a bootleg.

I get you, I just don't want to take the chance that I'll crack a disc or something during one of the many times I'd end up loading and unloading it.

The art box thing would be really cool, but I have to conserve shelf space.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

I get you, I just don't want to take the chance that I'll crack a disc or something during one of the many times I'd end up loading and unloading it.

The art box thing would be really cool, but I have to conserve shelf space.

I just think of opening up the box one day to find one of the disks has cracked. And if MB does go under, that means it'll be hellish trying to get a replacement disk. So, as I really like Morbito, I want to make sure it stays intact for my viewing enjoyment. If that means I need to spend some extra money, then I'll do it. If it were some lesser series, it's unlikely I'd go to this much trouble (or expense).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
firoooooo wrote:
I can't believe the Harry Potter diss... Hallows is a freaking good book, and, granted, it's super long, but I was not for a minute tired of it, had to read it in one day...

In any case, even if the girl in charge of shelf life thinks the movies are better because they are edited, just because she can't be bothered to read more than 100 pages and needs everything simplified, she shouldn't be commenting if a book is good or not, her opinion has no credibility whatsoever, stick to the anime please (and that is not working for her either) pfff, I should have listened to my instincts the second I finished reading her absurd comment on Hetalia... ANN, you should re-evaluate your staff.... actually, cross that off, you should re-evaluate the Shelf Life column, everyone else is awesome!

You seem to be off to a good start. Your first post is spouting anger because someone has a different opinion than you, and it has no backing. Good job. Rolling Eyes
triangle_man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I just think of opening up the box one day to find one of the disks has cracked. And if MB does go under, that means it'll be hellish trying to get a replacement disk. So, as I really like Morbito, I want to make sure it stays intact for my viewing enjoyment. If that means I need to spend some extra money, then I'll do it. If it were some lesser series, it's unlikely I'd go to this much trouble (or expense).

Exactly, that's why my discs are living in sleeves until I line up a replacement case.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember the seventh book of Harry Potter? Voldemort is on the loose and Harry and friends can't return to Hogwarts, so they live in a tent in the woods, trying to figure out what to do for hundreds of pages of lameness (I'm sure the movie will be better, thanks to the miracle of editing).

OMG SPOILERS!!!

No seriously, this is a valid point. While this is not really related to the column you have raised something I realised was lacking in the last book. Frankly for my HP inner nerd the sixth book was shaping up to be 'balls to the wall' and then I had a final book of tent...emotion...more tent...random glimpse of action at Hogwarts...more tent...

I haven't read it a second time but the next time I go through the series I'll be able to be more critical.

Good on you for always throwing your opinion out in a fun way. It's not relevant who disagrees with you; what's relevant is you backing up your opinion on something with a more familiar feeling to the reader. I don't comment much around here but I do read your column regularly even if the releases are largely irrelevant (I live in Australia, not America). I read the column because you write something that is enjoyable to read, and may prove relevant later. Keep it up!

P.S: Ferris Bueller is indeed awesome. That is all.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
firoooooo wrote:

Don't you love it when people create a new forum identity just to throw out some ridiculous troll-ish insult? How nice it is to be an anonymous bomb-thrower on the internet, with no real accountability or decency.

Erin, I am amazed weekly by the grace you have shown in putting such hard work into the column and keeping in contact with the readers through the forums, and being so polite even with nasty people picking at you. Keep up the good work. I am a big fan of this column and a big fan of how you have put your imprint on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5