• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Lance, A Lot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Ouran bombing on BD doesn't mean Index/Railgun will. Of course female fujoshi don't care as much about HD and high tech audio/video as male otaku fans.

I'm more concerned about an Index dub rather than the BD thing. Because I don't own anything that plays BD.

Anyways what does Lance mean by "FY12" when he mentioned the Baka & Test physical release?
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
One thing I would say as someone who still buys and collects physical media in regards to the premium packing thing is that personally I only spend the extra cost on that kinda stuff based on the title. For example I would definitely pay extra for some sort of "collectors" edition of Evangelion or Summer Wars but would not for a title like Birdy The Mighty or Full Metal Panic (just as an example). I'm hoping we get a nice box for FMA Brotherhood when that finishes up is another good example, it really just depends on how much I like a title. I mean I actually paid $10 just for the Claymore box on a Rightstuf sale even though I already had the whole thing on DVD (the first issue boxes not the complete series).

Also I'm glad to hear Funimation did not fall into this Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy pack thing either. I hate having to spend the extra cash on those when all I really want is the Blu-Ray (I'm looking at you Disney/Pixar). I don't mind having a digital copy for some movies since I have an iPad, but with anime it's probably not worth it as with most anime fans it probably would not matter.

Last edited by BeanBandit on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Anyways what does Lance mean by "FY12" when he mentioned the Baka & Test physical release?

Fiscal Year 2012, assuming that's what you meant.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I read the Rumor: Khara and Gainax problems, and I am really scared if this is true, because I really want them to finish the last two "Evanjelawn" films. Sad

I'll bet you a hundred bucks 3.0 is out in Japan next year.

Wait so Khara doesn't need Gainax for the completion of the films, will there any big difference.

And I'll rise that hundred for two hundred! I just want to enjoy the films.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Damn, I need to wait two years for that. Hope they release it before the Mayan apocalypse Razz.

But anyways, I didn't hear anything in the ANNCast about A Certain Magical Index dub. Knew I should have told Zac to ask him about this.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Of course female fujoshi don't care as much about HD and high tech audio/video as male otaku fans.

I beg to differ! I'd be willing to bet there are several factors that influenced Ouran's performance on Blu-ray, but gender-based generalizations ain't it. :\

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/video-business-dvd-vs-blu-ray-disc-prices-average-a-10-difference/6262:

Quote:
Currently, 72% of Blu-ray software buyers are male. That compares with standard DVD´s even 50/50 split between male and female buyers.

I think it's because your more likely to want Blu-ray for the action scenes, I love Ouran High School Host Club but I don't need to see it in HD. It's not going to improve the humor and my DVD playing in my Blu-ray is fine. Meanwhile I own FMA: Brotherhood, and Heroic Age on Blu-ray, now I got the latter because it was selling for 23 bucks on Amazon Marketplace, but FMA: Brotherhood I bought for the amazing action sequences. You need to see King Bradley's work in HD.

Simply put Evangelion is going to make you want it on Blu-ray more than say K-ON will.

As for the discussion on Evangelion, that was a series I learned about from the Love Hina messageboard I was on, I was 17, and starting to get into series other series like The Slayers, then I got my hands on it, and began to promptly and constantly fall asleep while watching it. Anno gave me no reason to care about the characters except for Pen-Pen, and it began my hatred for the use of religion in anime outside of Fullmetal Alchemist manga/Brotherhood, Hellsing and Trigun. How hard is it to either have a point or to make it look cool. I mean instead of just having the lance of Longinus just show up like in Conquerors of Shamballa, have some guy bust out a giant flaming sword, or just steal the Holy Water item crash from Castlevania.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Damn, I need to wait two years for that. Hope they release it before the Mayan apocalypse Razz.

But anyways, I didn't hear anything in the ANNCast about A Certain Magical Index dub. Knew I should have told Zac to ask him about this.

Sorry, FY12 starts April 1, 2011 and ends March 30, 2012. I forgot that I need to talk in calendar terms and not business speak.

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director
Friendly FUNimation guy who is still watching the Texas Rangers post-game celebration
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Sorry, FY12 starts April 1, 2011 and ends March 30, 2012. I forgot that I need to talk in calendar terms and not business speak.

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director
Friendly FUNimation guy who is still watching the Texas Rangers post-game celebration

Oh thank goodness, put it in our language next time.

But any news in regards to the Index dub? I really want to see Johnny Yong Bosch as Accelerator. Hope you got him back for the Trigun movie (since Trigun was the first anime that Johnny worked on).

Looking forward to the Baka & Test.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I would much prefer to own both of them on Blu-ray, and I think Funi is making a big mistake not doing so.

I strongly suspect that FUNI would put the Index/Railgun franchise on Blu-Ray at the same time as DVD if they could, but the Japanese licensor won't let them do so for a couple of years as they don't want to undermine domestic Japanese sales of the super-expensive Blu-Ray singles with reverse-imports of a relatively-much-lower-priced Blu-Ray half-season set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
I wish someone could've asked about whether or not blu ray releases will also recieve rigid box limited editions. I guess I sould have asked, but I always forget! Embarassed
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I read the Rumor: Khara and Gainax problems, and I am really scared if this is true, because I really want them to finish the last two "Evanjelawn" films. Sad

I'll bet you a hundred bucks 3.0 is out in Japan next year.

Do you mean out in theaters or out on home video?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I think it's because your more likely to want Blu-ray for the action scenes, I love Ouran High School Host Club but I don't need to see it in HD. It's not going to improve the humor and my DVD playing in my Blu-ray is fine. Meanwhile I own FMA: Brotherhood, and Heroic Age on Blu-ray, now I got the latter because it was selling for 23 bucks on Amazon Marketplace, but FMA: Brotherhood I bought for the amazing action sequences. You need to see King Bradley's work in HD.

Simply put Evangelion is going to make you want it on Blu-ray more than say K-ON will.

There's a lot more to animation and sakuga than action scenes. K-On's animation is miles better than Heroic Age. Anything by KyoAni beats the average action title by a long shot.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
female fujoshi

As opposed to . . . ? Wink
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
If Fruits Baskets continues to do well, improving with each subsequent release, then someone please explain to me WHY they never finished the damned anime?!

I mean, it's popular, it sells, why did Japan never finish the series with a second or third or ? season?

I also wish I had twitter'd in a question to the Funi guy as to his reaction or thoughts about Netflix not picking up any new anime (besides Funi's One Piece) for rental? Everything they list is in a state of eternal "save."

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Funimation's One Piece dub, but I'm a try before I buy Dub guy. I don't usually buy a series or show cold (even if I've seen the sub), I like to see how the dub turned out first, hence the rental.

Also... CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TEXAS RANGERS! Lordy, I hate the New York Yankees (hired goons). Now, if only the Giants could win game 6, then we'd have a) an all west coast World Series and b) someone besides the usual suspects playing in the World Series (like Phily or NY). Gotta love October and the Fall Classic.

Re: The Marginalization of Anime

The anime industry is doing it to itself, a completely self-inflicted injury, in my opinion. Just like the gaming industry in Japan (whom by their own admission (Kenji Inafune, an exec from Capcom), they admit to being years behind western devs -as is reflected by their meager share of the 60 billion dollar Worldwide gaming industry, which in 2002 they controlled about 50 percent of, but in 2009, has plummeted to about 10 percent), the anime industry can't neglect the global market or the money to be made outside of Japan.

Japan and anime used to be cutting edge and "cool"...

Unfortunately, the anime being made in recent time is becoming ever increasingly niche, marginalizing itself from a broader appeal and sales. Banal mediocrity and fan service aren't going to win them new markets or grow their market share in the entertainment pie (although, Redline sounds awfully promising).

Last edited by CareyGrant on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

There's a lot more to animation and sakuga than action scenes. K-On's animation is miles better than Heroic Age. Anything by KyoAni beats the average action title by a long shot.

Like I said before I got Heroic Age on Blu-ray because it was 23 bucks and a lot cheaper than the DVD. Also I don't need Endless Eight on DVD let alone Blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11