• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh on Gundam UC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The Zeta dub was filled with bad actors performing woodenly. The only halfway decent "talent" in the group is Carol-Anne Day and even she underperformed.

I wouldn't say that. I agree that Carol had one of the best performances, but I also feel most of the main actors like Ethan Cole, Jonathan Stewart, and Tom Edwards held their own as well.

There are great VA and worse ones but some can be golden eggs. Carol Ann Daye, Mariette Slutyer are a few of those that can make a career into Voice Acting. I hope Sinterniklass will do the directing for the new HiME saga dub and try to get those two to come down in L.A. for the big bucks. Those two are a rare fine in Vancouver.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think science fiction mecha shows should be the easiest to dub. Even going back to the 80s, the shows that amateurish VAs sounded most comfortable in were the sci-fi mecha shows.

I don't understand how some of the Gundams have been done so badly. Gundam should be one of the easiest franchises to dub--it's already very westernized in dialogue and "acting" and it only requires the actor to emote "naturally". "Star Trek acting" is totally sufficient for this franchise. With the exception of G Gundam, which is understandably tricky at times, I really can't understand how any of the other dubs have screwed up other Gundam shows.

I also don't understand why dubs these days seem to have trouble with anime shows older than 1990. Sure, we're in a different time now, so people talk differently in some ways, but I think we can all agree that most VAs are generally more accomplished and experienced than the ones in the 1980s, yet some of these dubs are actually inferior (acting wise) to some of the dubs of the 80s! If you can even do a dub that's better acted than Robotech, that is a crying shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3