• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Most Notable) of 2012

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

AM I SUPPOSED TO PUNISH HIM FOR SOMETHING HE DID ON MANIA BECAUSE I'M NOT REALLY SEEING EVIDENCE OF HOMOPHOBIA IN HIS POSTS HERE

~PLEASE ADVISE, NAMASTE~

Well lets see, he drags up an (ancient) argument from Mania, and when called on it, he refuses to stay on point, instead going on about the tone we took against him. Of course, here on ANN, tone is WAY worse than actual content, so he's in good company.

Oh yeah, and he did so with a blatantly homophobic attack on the Lynn/Jenny couple

I'm sorry if this series of events escapes you.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
Thankfully the series was strong enough in other areas to overcome it.

Uh, the series was not strong in other areas. There were a large number of problems with it*. After the terrible episode seven I had to say sayonara, because I just wasn't going to put up with all that stupidity any more.

Outside of the skirt issue, which despite how it blew up in the Forums wasn't even that big compared to other flaws.

I don't even remember what specifically happened in episode 7. I liked the characters, and once the larger scale space battles started I found the show very entertaining. I didn't care about(or even really think about) the skirts, but the fact some people would find it necessary to blow it out of proportion doesn't surprise me.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
And let's keep in mind that dtm42 was single-handedly responsible for the skirt thing "blowing up." (Yes, others were involved in that debate, but he's the one who started it and made a big deal out of how horribly that disrupted his suspension of disbelief.) I'm really not remembering why he found episode 7 so terrible that he gave up on the series, either. I certainly didn't find anything wrong with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And let's keep in mind that dtm42 was single-handedly responsible for the skirt thing "blowing up." (Yes, others were involved in that debate, but he's the one who started it and made a big deal out of how horribly that disrupted his suspension of disbelief.)

No, I posted a picture and said that it hurt my suspension of disbelief but it was defenders of the show who just laid into me who blew it up out of proportion. But anyway, it doesn't matter, because the skirt thing was a small problem compared to other parts of the show. I don't even care about the skirt issue any more.

Key wrote:
I'm really not remembering why he found episode 7 so terrible that he gave up on the series, either. I certainly didn't find anything wrong with it.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant episode six. Episode seven was where I dropped the show, but episode six was where I got really annoyed at the direction the show was going and the tone that it employed. It was the episode where spoiler[Marika stages her first act of piracy. You know, where the passengers of the cruise liner have all their stuff stolen and yet are happy to be robbed, and they see what they think is a fellow passenger getting killed and happily cheer.] The show just refused to take any of this seriously. Given its other flaws I didn't last much longer; hated that Loli in episode seven.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Sorry, my mistake. I meant episode six. Episode seven was where I dropped the show, but episode six was where I got really annoyed at the direction the show was going and the tone that it employed. It was the episode where spoiler[Marika stages her first act of piracy. You know, where the passengers of the cruise liner have all their stuff stolen and yet are happy to be robbed, and they see what they think is a fellow passenger getting killed and happily cheer.] The show just refused to take any of this seriously. Given its other flaws I didn't last much longer; hated that Loli in episode seven.

And dtm managed to miss the entire point.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

And Fencey has a short attention span so he can only write meaningless one-line posts like this.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

And Fencey has a short attention span so he can only write meaningless one-line posts like this.

I'll explain for you, basically in the show spoiler[actual piracy is seen as more of a side show, or a form of entertainment. So when the passengers were getting robbed etc. they saw it all as an act.] You find out how and why it is that way relatively shortly in the series after the scene you mentioned.

Whether you still dislike it or not of course is up to you, but without knowing the context it shouldn't be something you can really criticise the series for.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
is it wrong that part of the reason i lurk on ANN is because the arguments that Fencedude and dtm get into amuse me?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Don't bother, boredandlazy; this issue all goes back more than a year, and that explanation didn't work last time, either. Once dtm42 decides that he can't take a series seriously for some reason, he rarely lets anything convince him to the contrary.

It's better just to let the matter drop for now. Besides, there will be a fresh opportunity to bring up that whole mess again when a review on the upcoming Blu-Ray release of BSP's first half (and I'm very looking forward to hearing how it sounds dubbed!) comes up later in the month. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Don't bother, boredandlazy; this issue all goes back more than a year, and that explanation didn't work last time, either.

"more than a year"? But it hasn't even been quite a full year since the first episode aired...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
at the very least, Marika should should sound great since she's voiced by Luci Christian. when did sentai even release the cast info?
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It's better just to let the matter drop for now.

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to continue/exacerbate anything. Smile
I didn't know that dtm already knew, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. Consider my mouth shut on the matter.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
at the very least, Marika should should sound great since she's voiced by Luci Christian. when did sentai even release the cast info?

Likely someone saw an advance copy and entered the info in off of that, as Sentai doesn't typically make cast announcements (like Funimation commonly does).

Luci as Marika and Chris Patton as Kane, eh? I suppose I could see that. I'm also looking forward to hearing how relative newcomer Caitlynn French sounds as Chiaki. My one concern is Shannon Emerick as Jenny, as that doesn't seem like a good fit to me, but we'll see how it goes. Sentai not only had to use all their female regulars for this one but also had to pull in some fresh talent, after all.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
getchman wrote:

Likely someone saw an advance copy and entered the info in off of that, as Sentai doesn't typically make cast announcements (like Funimation commonly does).

Luci as Marika and Chris Patton as Kane, eh? I suppose I could see that. I'm also looking forward to hearing how relative newcomer Caitlynn French sounds as Chiaki. My one concern is Shannon Emerick as Jenny, as that doesn't seem like a good fit to me, but we'll see how it goes. Sentai not only had to use all their female regulars for this one but also had to pull in some fresh talent, after all.

I haven't seen everything she has been in but i dont think I have ever heard Shannon Emerick not sound like a prepubescent boy. I guess you could count IS, but the french accent was distracting as was the over the top German one she had as Laura's second in command. Sentai also used all the regulars and pulled out new talent for Horizon as well. Unless Foster decides to have people pull double duty, they will have to bring out a lot more people for Season 2
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sentai doesn't typically make cast announcements (like Funimation commonly does).

They used to do them often via guessing games on Anime on DVD and I believe they still do them sometimes (without prizes) and post lists... yes, here is a list from Janice posted mid-December.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15