• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Diary of a Mad Woman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Wow, Penguindrum is shelf worthy? Really? Even though it completely falls apart in the latter episodes? Oh, well. To each his/her own taste.
This is only for the first half of the series. If the second half is crap to Bamboo, she'll say so when it's released.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
Love to see how he has the entire collection of Berserk, always great to see another Miura fan.

If I had friends who had collections like these, I would buy them dinner all the time, just so I could borrow all those titles and watch series/movies I would never normally see. I wish I had a friend or two who had a massive collection like that!

I also purchased Ninja Scroll on Blu Ray from Sentai and I have to say, it looks amazing. Really great remastering, audio is superb, lighting is great and this is by far the best release we have seen in North America.

Like many out there, this was my gateway into anime. Yea, I watched some Pokemon back in middle school, but never really got into Anime, until Ninja Scroll. I agree with Bamboo 100% on the fact that I first saw this film when I was a teenager and just thought, wow, tons of gore, boobs and action, this is awesome. Rewatching this years later (I do own the VHS and DVD, but it's been a few years since I've seen it) it has alot more meaning now that I am in my mid 20's. Great film, absolutely worth the price and this is a must own.

Awesome review Bamboo, always a pleasure to read your articles!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Wow, Penguindrum is shelf worthy? Really? Even though it completely falls apart in the latter episodes? Oh, well. To each his/her own taste.

Exactly, while there are certain things I wasn't happy with in the 2nd half I completely disagree with this statement.

Penguindrum was one of my favorite series of 2011 and one I had the most fun discussing with other fans.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback folks. I may eventually check it out. Yes, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. I may consider recommending this title for our collection in the future. I'm sure some teacher can find some academic value from it. Then again there are those that may just check it out based on pure curiosity and enjoyment. We have the first two seasons of Utena, so that title gets checked out quite a bit. Now we just need the last part. In the meantime I have to check out Season 2. I never was part of the Utena bandwagon, as I'm not a person that watches very distinct "shoujo" anime. But after finally sitting down and watching the movie and reading some blog analysis on the net some years back I found myself [sometime later] looking to get some insight on why the TV series was so popular among fans.

I have to admit Penguin Drum is an odd title and with it will bring many questions that folks will have to interpret on their own. Smile
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Dream Eater Merry, one question I have is: Why has this series never been streamed?

Normally any Sentai series shows up at The Anime Network within a certain period, but Dream Eater Merry seems immune to this. A bit over a month from now, it will be two years since they licensed it. Is it possible that through some strange circumstance they simply don't have the streaming rights?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
N.R. wrote:

Exactly, while there are certain things I wasn't happy with in the 2nd half I completely disagree with this statement.

Penguindrum was one of my favorite series of 2011 and one I had the most fun discussing with other fans.

while could have used more time to explain stuff I though the second half of the show held up very well actually all things considered.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:

Well, I only reviewed the first 12 episodes, which is all that's currently released on BD, so if it falls apart later, then I have no knowledge of it. I don't think it's fallen apart yet.

Quote:
Speaking of telling me, can someone please explain the concept of "uneven tracing"? I tried asking my most knowledgeable friends (Google and Wikipedia) about it but they didn't have a clue what that means...

I'm sure there's a real term for it, which I don't know, but when you have hand-painted cels, the black tracing can sometimes have flaws, especially in the in-between frames. I think when you have older movies/shows in high-def, it's just easier to see human errors.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
The only anime I have seen of the three mention is Ninja Scrollls I would like to see it again it in Blue Ray I loved it. Very Happy
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Regarding Dream Eater Merry, one question I have is: Why has this series never been streamed?

Normally any Sentai series shows up at The Anime Network within a certain period, but Dream Eater Merry seems immune to this. A bit over a month from now, it will be two years since they licensed it. Is it possible that through some strange circumstance they simply don't have the streaming rights?

For whatever reason, it appears that Sentai's license was limited to home video, TV, and download to own. It seems they weren't given streaming rights by TBS for it. The show has been available to purchase on iTunes and Amazon, but never for streaming. Given the time since it was acquired, I would not expect that to change.

As to why those rights were excluded, I suppose only TBS and Sentai will ever know.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
I would urge that those of you who, like me, watched this in your early-to-mid-teens, to give it another shot. It's worth watching again, and you discover that you'll appreciate the movie much more now.
That's one of the other reasons why movies like these are rated for "Adult's Only". Wink
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
N.R. wrote:

Well, I only reviewed the first 12 episodes, which is all that's currently released on BD, so if it falls apart later, then I have no knowledge of it. I don't think it's fallen apart yet.

I didn't notice this was for part 1 only. Sorry, my bad. I hope you won't be disappointed by the second half like I was. And thanks for explaining that bit about uneven tracing.
JonLa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Anyone with the bluray able to tell me the regions? Likely it's blocked for UK people, but you never know...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
JonLa wrote:
Anyone with the bluray able to tell me the regions? Likely it's blocked for UK people, but you never know...

A/1. Sorry. Sad But there's a UK BD for Ninja Scroll too. I don't know if it's the same remaster, though, or what's on those discs...
Uthred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:

I watched the series on the back of this article and I sadly find myself agreeing the first half of the series is great but it goes rapidly (and disastrously) downhill, the latter half of the second half feels almost like a different show as chacterisation is dropped all over the place and the plot just unravels. Not terrible, but nowhere near as good as the first half and a disappointment overall.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
Uthred wrote:
N.R. wrote:

I watched the series on the back of this article and I sadly find myself agreeing the first half of the series is great but it goes rapidly (and disastrously) downhill, the latter half of the second half feels almost like a different show as chacterisation is dropped all over the place and the plot just unravels. Not terrible, but nowhere near as good as the first half and a disappointment overall.

Oh, huh... wow. Confused I found the second half to be much stronger than an already strong first half, in part due to how it finally breathed and moved on from Ringo's shenanigans and into a more diverse yet relevant range of events. The show held plenty well together for me towards the end-- having re-watched the whole series over these past few weeks, there are plenty of aspects earlier on (particularly its themes) that do well to set up for the resolutions found in the last episodes. And I don't see the characterization so much as being dropped as I see it showing spoiler[the uncovering of the veneers of "love" or "family" that these characters had so preciously held dear-- one of the very points of the series, I'd say].

So Bamboo, don't think all/any hope is lost. Knowing your appreciation of The Adolescence of Utena, I think there's really something for you to look forward within the next twelve episodes. Just in case though, set your expectations at a reasonable level, so you can enjoy the last half all the more!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4