• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai scores Naruto video game license

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
I like, er, love the PS 2 Naruto games, and I can't wait, however, I do have import verison of Naruto RPG and will love to see that hit the US market. Mostly because you either need to know Japanese or have a walkthough just to figure out where to go to next. But the GameCube games are pretty doubtful, mostly due to sales of the system. (GC is still ranked 3rd, sad but true) If they do release the GC games for the States, that would just super, other then that, mod chips and import games all around.
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
I can only hope one of three things:
That Namco's recent merger with Bandai means that Namco's actually the one developing the games
MugenKeiji wrote:
[On the basis of Soul Calibur and Tekken? No thanks, while I have no qualms against Soul Calibur, I'd rather not Naruto play like Tekken. Look just because Namco has experience making fighting games doesn't mean that it would be great if they worked a franchise that children are most likely to play. Naruto games should be simple to pick up but take a long time to master and the Tekken/Soul Calibur engines are too intimidating for that audience. I can't speak up for CyberConnect2 in Narultimate Hero, but Eighting's experience with fighters seems to be a shoe-in for Gekitou Ninja Taisen...having played both because of a close friend of mine.
Yeah, most people said that Xenosaga. Razz Will we see more 3-D anime fighters based on the engines used by Tekken and Soul Calibur, maybe. It depends on what the game designers feel like doing. If they want to do Down to Foward moves instead of pushing random buttons, it's really up to designers. I, also, much rather play a fighter without hitting P,PK,<-P,PK,->K,Sell soul to devil,K,K,P to pull off a friggn' move.

Edit: MugenKeiji thinks I'm cute. Embarassed

Last edited by Ataru on Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I just hope Tomy is working on a Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 but not for the GameCube...the Nintendo Revolution, so that they can fit more characters on the disc, like the Sound 4, Kimimaro, popular Leaf Jounin and Special Jounin...except Ebisu and some of the characters from the PS2 game but like Ferrariman said, a guy can dream.

There's nothing to say that they can't add more characters to Gektaisen 4 already. They just keep adding them, I haven't heard them say that there's a hardware limit or anything. I fully expect Gekitaisen 4 to have Kabuto, the Sound 5, both "powered up" versions of Naruto and Sasuke in some form, and possibly even the "three years later" or "Kakashi Gaiden" core characters. The game series follows the anime, so anything that happens in the anime to within a month or two after release is fair game.

It really is a great game, with lots of characters, and all of them are so perfectly balanced that almost any character is as good as any other, but each is radically different to play. Whenever I play it I just use random because I'll always be happy with what I get (although none of us use the dog or Karasu by mutual treaty).

Also, while the (primary) supers cannot be avoided once they hit, they are VERY easy to avoid before they hit, so it's not like they're 100% successes. I miss mine all the time unless I combo it or time it just right.
MortalAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
The card game for Naruto is really really confusing, since my kanji skills require me to use a dictionary to figure out how to even play in the first place, BUT from what I've read, it seems pretty good.

Its somewhat similar on the Yu-Gi-Oh! premise in that certain cards can combine with certain other cards, but it's still kinda cool when you have Kakashi cast Chidori, or Orochimaru use the Sword of Kusanagi.

Besides, my prized 口寄せ:穢土転生 (Kuchiyose: Edo Tensei) card is very pretty, even if I don't have the Orochimaru to use it with . . . .
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Yeah, most people said that Xenosaga.

If you were trying to address me, use my username, don't try to be cute. Evil or Very Mad

Ohoni wrote:

Also, while the (primary) supers cannot be avoided once they hit, they are VERY easy to avoid before they hit, so it's not like they're 100% successes. I miss mine all the time unless I combo it or time it just right.

The 100% hit rate implies that the damage goes unchanged when it connects, unlike on the PS2 game where your opponent can defend if they push the button/rotate the stick more than you. I never said anything about the success rate of the attacks connecting, I thought I made that clear...
Treeloot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:

I just hope Tomy is working on a Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 but not for the GameCube...the Nintendo Revolution, so that they can fit more characters on the disc, like the Sound 4, Kimimaro, popular Leaf Jounin and Special Jounin...except Ebisu and some of the characters from the PS2 game but like Ferrariman said, a guy can dream.

I'm pretty sure they could fit more characters on the Gamecube disc.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
If you were trying to address me, use my username, don't try to be cute. Evil or Very Mad
Wow, I had a mistake. That's why the CNN and Fox trucks are in the yard. Confused Some people didn't and still don't think Namco should do RPGs because, let's face it, there are people that didn't hear about that who Pac-Man and Ridge Racer thing. Need the less, just becasue Namco joined with Bandai, I didn't see any real change. But I getting OT. Bandai, Nintendo needs Naruto games, even if it's for the handheld. *Preys for Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 3 and RPG.*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
Secondly, I'd like to note that despite the XBox360's stronger appeal to the Japanese market, developers are more likely to cater to the PS3 because of the Sony name unfortunately. XBox360 seems to aim at an older than expected audience for Naruto and the current XBox hasn't sold enough units to accomodate a decent Naruto game from either party.

20 million Xboxes sold worldwide ain't nothing to sneeze at... Japanese markets be damned. Games like Project Gotham Racing 3 and Perfect Dark Zero can be Greatest Game Ever material, and the Japanese market probably won't care because the lemmings over there worship the PlayStation name. It's sad, really... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
MugenKeiji wrote:
Wow, I had a mistake. That's why the CNN and Fox trucks are in the yard. Confused Some people didn't and still don't think Namco should do RPGs because, let's face it, there are people that didn't hear about that who Pac-Man and Ridge Racer thing. Need the less, just becasue Namco joined with Bandai, I didn't see any real change. But I getting OT. Bandai, Nintendo needs Naruto games, even if it's for the handheld. *Preys for Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 3 and RPG.*

Ah, my bad (I've a short fuse). Anyway Namco had better luck with the Tales games, Xenosaga's all on Monolith Soft but then again Tales Studio is mostly comprised of former Telenet/Wolf Team (Phantasm Soldier Valis, El Viento) developers so neither one is truly developed in-house by Namco, at least not the bulk of the game anyway.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I never said anything about the success rate of the attacks connecting, I thought I made that clear...

To you and me maybe, but I didn't think it was clear to people who knew nothing of either game. I like Gekitaisen's consistant damage, I'm not a fan of button mashing fests.

Quote:
Bandai, Nintendo needs Naruto games, even if it's for the handheld. *Preys for Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 3 and RPG.*

Yeah, the first sidescroller was lame, but the second was pretty fun, and the RPG was just great, if only for the fact that you could form teams like Naruto/Shikamaru/Neiji, and that Sakura was actually USEFUL in the game (as a white mage, but still, very useful).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2