• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Maou seems like more of a good guy than Emilia. lel
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
EP 4

Well this episode pretty much told us the whole story. Maou was most likely a spoiler[puppet leader and the general Lucifer was the mastermind behind the attacks on the humans. That would explain why Maou is portrayed as a soft person in the human world. Lucifer probably lied about the humans and tricked Maou into attacking the humans.]

The landowner is more than meets the eye, but we could see it coming based on the first episode. She knows spoiler[their true identities ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why anime writers never seem to understand that in Christianity Satan and Lucifer are the same dude? Granted, Lucifer was the Dark One's handle in Heaven - he only started handing out business cards with Satan on them after the Fall, but still.

Anyway, interesting to get Emi's backstory. I'm also a little suspicious of those priests. There is definitely more to this demon versus human thing than meets the eye. Lends credence to the idea that Satan may not have been that much different back "home" than he is in Nippon.

Looks like he's in trubs with Chiho, though...
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
This show just brings to me a big smile every week I watch it. Anyways,

I think that's Emi in the spoiler[flashback] and I have to say that she is cute! Poor girl though and her father during that last moment from the way she recalled it.

Also, I'm guessing she's a bit confused and curious on the concept of 'spoiler[human heart' and feelings especially when she sees what Sadao did]. Same goes for Sadao I guess in a way.

I still see the comedy part of this show quite well like with Chi-chan. Dat understanding Laughing Great episode again. This series is so entertaining for me every week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
A quick question about spoiler[the flashback] from this episode.

Now, am I going crazy or did Emilia have spoiler[silver hair when we saw her flying into the portal? Because she had red hair in all of the stuff shown this episode, when I'd assumed the red hair was just part of her coming to our world.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Magic! Also, maybe lighting.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
A quick question about spoiler[the flashback] from this episode.

Now, am I going crazy or did Emilia have spoiler[silver hair when we saw her flying into the portal? Because she had red hair in all of the stuff shown this episode, when I'd assumed the red hair was just part of her coming to our world.]

I think as she got older her spoiler[hair turned white. Maybe out of stress or something. I forgot which episode but it showed her having white hair in the demon world before she entered the portal.]
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 4 (because I'm too impatient to wait for Funi)

Whoa, Emi is half spoiler[archangel]? But I thoughtspoiler[ high-ranked angels were mostly guys?]
Such a small world; turns out the police officer who found the demonic pair is also spoiler[Chiho's dad.] Glad the show made a connection between the spell in Ep. 1 with spoiler[Chiho's ability to hear the Sonar.]

Alsiel is simply too adorable!! I wish there was a plushie of him~ :3 spoiler[Lucifer] isn't too shabby either.
I'm really suspicious of Ms. Miki; I get the walls are thinner than rice paper but, spoiler[how does she know about the Sonar? Is she a double agent or some sort of messenger from the Angels?]

Maou has been nothing but a nice dork who works hard at achieving his goals. Saving people you don't know with your limited power boost doesn't scream "World's Most Nefarious Ruler". Even as a human now, shouldn't he still have that "evil" persona that Emi was taught ever since she was a child? And, even if he spoiler[sent the army on her town], why apologize at all if doing bad is in his nature? Even if spoiler[Lucifer] is the conspirator, perhaps he was motivated in doing it so, (in theory) spoiler[the Church could benefit from the war in some way.]
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
To: Keichitsu
Well, if you're talking about Christianity /Judaism and the sort, there are no female angels at all. There is no need for females since angels do not breed :p Just sayin

To:Lossthief

I'm not sure as to why it's white, but if I had to guess: spoiler[considering she's half angel] ,it probably turns white when she's powering up or something

Series is getting pretty great. Love the sinister plot that's building up Smile Hope Mao gets buff again and kicks Lucifer's rear end[/b]
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Not that it's a big deal, but it's too bad that the entire flashback scene was voiced in Japanese instead of their otherworldly language. They've been pretty consistent about it in some places but not in others (including parts of episode 1). I guess that the fabricated language could be too much for some actors. Even the mage girl sound like she was struggling to talk lol. I don't know if that's a part of her character speech or not, but it seemed off.

Overall a little bit more feelsy for this episode, but they still managed to sprinkle bits of humor here and there. Looks like next week will be a little bit lighter, despite the cliffhanger for this week. I can't wait!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

So they touched on what was talked about last week with Satan not acting like we would expect, he explicitly stated that spoiler[he did not quite understand people,] other hints are that his spoiler[generals also hold some blame] (like I theorised in my other post). What I really liked was Emilia's friend mentioned that in spoiler[disasters people can either be demons in taking advantage of a chaotic situation, or Angels in worrying about others before themselves]. This flowed brilliantly from last episode where we saw that he spoiler[worried about Chiho and the others], while Emilia spoiler[contemplated attacking Satan while he was distracted].

It worked up a bit when Emilia lost it in spoiler[asking how he can be kind now when he was so cruel earlier and killed her father]. I felt rather sad during the exchange in the feels for Emilia, but still love the emotion. Although spoiler[Chiho saw something and looks rather devastated], the landlady seemed to show spoiler[that she indeed knows quite a lot, and that Chiho's emotions seem somehow connected to the earthquakes].

And can I gloat a little that when I saw the spoiler[wings I knew straight away that it was Lucifer]? I remembered specifically that he had the spoiler[wings], and the mention earlier reminded me. It would seem that Emilia's white hair when fighting was probably linked to her angel heritage, it seemed she may have connected to some level of it too after contemplating Satan. I also have a feeling that there might be more involved with her training too.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
ep.4
spoiler[
so after seeing maou saving the people it make emi why he is saving them cue flashback of her child years as a farmer's daughter normal life til priest come take as chosen one to defeat the demons.

& afterward showing her farm land got burned cue forward wonder why compare maou from being demon ruler to nice guy in japan while wonder even hanging around her call pals friend give she had prob with quake in kobe.

yet emi wonder about everything from before to now & news going of mugging with maou & sidekick heard about from cops (give maou found chiho got daddy cops which twist reveal got chiho to hear voices since maou did magic on her dad).

emi visit maou some blah & fell then some talk give wonder calling out why are you nice guy in japan while back in esta isla you burn everything include my farm's daddy.

then awkward chiho appear then run cue landlady appear mention of something yet mention "sonar" & "etc" while emi's comrade coming to japan & chiho wonder cue guy mention "things" cue rumble.

& this person got black wings with reveal one of maou's generals aka lucifer.
]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Emilia was sure confused by the spoiler[Maou's good heart].
Well, it is pretty unbelievable.
Flashback to spoiler[Emilia's past] was interesting to watch.
Maou sure is a smart one, even though the sometimes seems like an airhead.
Guess he and Emilia will have to get to the bottom of this together.
spoiler[Wtf?! The landlady know everything?! She was a weird one from the start.
So, more of them are coming to Japan...]
things are gonna get interesting.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wonder why anime writers never seem to understand that in Christianity Satan and Lucifer are the same dude? Granted, Lucifer was the Dark One's handle in Heaven - he only started handing out business cards with Satan on them after the Fall, but still.

Not always--"Ha-Satan" in Hebrew just means "The Opposer" and sometimes he was considered to be a distinct being from Helel (the original Hebrew name for Lucifer), I'm pretty sure. Under some interpretations "Satan" was more of a manevolent force embodying sin than an actual being.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
4 episodes in and I'm still loving this show. It's managing to balance being really funny with some genuinely sweet/sad moments, which is hard to do effectively, but it's pulling it off.

One thing I noted that I don't think has been mentioned is that it looks like spoiler[Emi just recovered some of her powers. When she was taking a bath after her scene with Rika, a feather falls down as she comments on the strange warmth she is feeling.
]

Not sure of the mechanics behind why that happened though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 30