• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil Survivor 2: The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Devil Survivor 2 (the game), is the successor to the original Devil Survivor (gameplay and the basic idea of trying to prevent deaths is the same, otherwise they're unrelated).

The game is amazing, and Devil Survivor 1 is even more so (I only have a DS, so I do have to admit that DeSu2 has the superior game system, due to the Compendium, but DeSu1 by far has the better story. Why it didn't get the anime is beyond me).
BleachedLegion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
BleachedLegion wrote:
I have seen it around but I'm wondering if it is worth watching? I'm just wondering if it is worth the watch. It seems pretty interesting but is there a Devil Survivor 1? Sorry if I'm completely clueless!

Oh okay thanks Dusky. That helped I guess I'll take a look into this series. I just finished Date A Live and I'm waiting for Attack on Titan so I guess I can take a look. Plus the drawing style is great![/quote]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 Final

spoiler[Hibiki vs Yamato!
Now that was one epic fight.
Their deep conversation was interesting... dilemmas, dilemmas..
Hibiki's intentions to help out a friend were truly admirable.
Demonic fusion was impressive and made the fight way better!
Awesome final episode!!]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale
Honestly, this series ended up for me as not very good. Oh, it started out very good but then for some reason never followed the way I had hoped for and the pacing was just horrid with its mess of a story. Oh and I also thought they spoiler[killed off the characters for real in this show but seems like the finale proved otherwise]. I don't have much else to add but this show was a disappointment for me imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

One thing I only just wondered. Why is Cerberus a lion?

I don't even know if I have anything to say about the last episode or the series as a whole. We had spoiler[Lucifer against Satan], not that it is the first time this core. I guess it was alright that Yamato had the spoiler[scar and thus memories of what happened.]

I rated the series as So-so.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
I never really understood what this show was trying to be. I was kind of disappointed that the Nicaea App was given the supernatural explanation and yeah, because I thought the idea of kids signing up online to receive videos of their friends dying is incredibly weird and disturbing and I thought there would be some sort of social commentary on that. But whatever. The first episode gave me the idea this would be a light Digimon-ish action story so I went in with that mentality.spoiler[ Then further episodes started killing everyone and putting forth Yamato as this kind of tyranic savior so I thought it wanted to be a dark series. Then the end is all about friendship and trying really hard to make humanity better. So we're back to Digimon.] Please, show, make up your mind.

That aside, I actually liked the ending more than I expected. I mean, the final battle was so Yu-gi-oh meets Digimon I couldn't even take it seriously (heck, when spoiler[Lucifer] was summoned I thought it was Angewomon), but the epilogue was kind of fine even if it looked like a Deus Ex Machina ending. I also liked how Yamato evolved through the show, spoiler[from a leader, to a tyrant/villain, to a tragic hero, and I kind of liked his final encounter with Hibiki (also, I have some seriously tight yaoi goggles, if you know what I mean)
]

Rated it Decent. I could never give a damn about any of the characters -heck, I can't even name half of them- and the story seemed like it tried to be too grandiose for the shor time it had. Nevertheless, I thought the designs of the Septentriones and the Demons were kind of cool. Also, Jungo was adorable.
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the game, I enjoyed it. And I think it was better overall than the Persona 4 anime, even if it had its own slew of flaws. The game was reasonably open-ended in that most of the main characters can die/survive based on your choices, and there were a number of different endings depending on the ideological route you followed. So, I'm very appreciative of the fact that rather than animating one of those existing routes, they actually went through yet another alternative version for this show - many of the events, including the final conflict, were quite different than the game. However, I also feel that the new route they presented neglected one of the biggest strengths of the original game: uncertain ideological conflict.

The anime made the main conflict between Yamato and Alcor, but also exaggerated it a bit to the point of being nearly black versus white. (Well, blue versus red if we follow their color schema.) It was pretty clear that Yamato was the more villainous party throughout. In the game, the largest ideological split was between Yamato (meritocracy) and Ronaldo (militant egalitarianism), and neither of them could be called entirely good (unlike the anime, which made Ronaldo distinctly more heroic). And by the time the final day rolls around, you have essentially ideological disarray, having Yamato VS Ronaldo VS Daichi VS Alcor. In the end, I sided with Alcor, but the game didn't make that as easy of a decision. Unlike the anime, I had far less confidence that I could trust Alcor, and recognized I could well be "siding with the devil". (Which Megaten games certainly let you do. I did, afterall, knowingly and genuinely choose the "bad" route in Devil Survivor 1.)

So, I'm a bit saddened by what I felt was an over simplification of the issues in the anime. It could have been more conflicted, and consequently more meaningful, than it was.

I give it a solid B, which is my general score for "mostly enjoyable, but with a few big and/or frustrating flaws". But that's also acknowledging my bias as a fan of the game.

DuskyPredator wrote:
One thing I only just wondered. Why is Cerberus a lion?

That's the design they use for Cerberus in most, if not all, Megaten games (except Persona 3, where it was more properly a 3-headed dog). Never really understood why, either. :/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
All that was missing was bears, oh my! The battle seemed pretty silly and too talky spoiler[(and the final boss never even showed his face)], but at least spoiler[Lucifer] was kinda hot.

CrowLia wrote:
I thought the idea of kids signing up online to receive videos of their friends dying is incredibly weird and disturbing and I thought there would be some sort of social commentary on that.

It is, but kids are weird. They sort of showed what that might've been intended to be as a joke, but as it was, if you think about it, what a useless app it would be if the world wasn't ending. Unless you live in a gang-controlled high crime area, how often would you be likely to get a deadface message of your friends? I mean everybody knows someone who died when they were in school, but barring a Columbine or a car full of teens wiped out in one accident, most people probably wouldn't know more than one, two tops. How boring an app would that be?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Just thought that I would pop back in state my satisfaction of the ED song. I like note what series were good, and I found Be to be surprisingly good, especially for something that is quite minimalist in some ways. I just decided to upload the song to my list of songs and it is a cool song to listen to, but the style is also worth points. just the idea of it going from looking normal to suddenly desolated along with the music as it is rather dismal sounding. But when it gets to the end it instead becomes bright again and the music sounds a little more hopeful, and we reverse backwards until we reach the normal image again.

Wait I only just figured it out, the second half of the ED was supposed to be what happens at the end of the series.

Well, the ED, Jungo and Airi will be my favourite parts of this series. And perhaps the ridiculous rabbit hoodie that a teenage boy apparently wears.

EDIT: The OP was not bad either, I did skip it a lot, but it was the right amount of catchy.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I don't have much else to add but this show was a disappointment for me imo.

My zot is bigger than your zot, so I win. That is pretty much all it amounted to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7